Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I remember why windows annoys me
I remember why windows annoys me
2011-01-03, 4:01 AM #41
Windows key has some skills. Win+tab and Win+Pause are super handy.
2011-01-03, 6:41 AM #42
Also, I think it's a bit unfair to compare first-boot driver support on Linux and Windows anyway. Windows releases a new version like... once every 3 years? Linux OSes have a new CD every 6 months! Take Ubuntu from 3 years ago and try and use it on a brand new system. It won't be terribly successful.
2011-01-03, 9:42 AM #43
Win+D = Show desktop
Win+M = Minimize all windows
Win+R = Run
Win+F = Search window
Win+B = System Tray
Win+Tab = Window Switch
Win+Pause = System Properties
Win+F1 = Open Windows help
Win+L = Lock/Show logon screen

These are new in Win7:
Win+Down = Restore down/Minimize
Win+Up = Restore up/Maximize
Win+Left = Move window to the left side of the screen
Win+Right = like win+left but the other way
Win+Number = Activate Nth window (counting left to right on taskbar)

My ex's laptop had a Fn button instead of a windows key, and I always felt a bit crippled without it...
2011-01-03, 12:15 PM #44
It's supposed to be "in my" hah. Thanks for pointing that out :o
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2011-01-04, 5:10 AM #45
Originally posted by Brian:
It's an Intel DP55WB motherboard with onboard sound & network.

I know I'm sorta late to this discussion but I'm pretty sure your motherboard chipset was released after the Win7 DVD was finalized. Its not really reasonable to expect it to work perfectly using only the drivers on the Win7 DVD. It is impressive that Linux distro's manage to identify and use all the hardware on it, but thats probably because, as CM pointed out, Linux distro's frequently update their install iso's.

Obviously your having alot of other driver issues, which sucks and is not what I would expect on a motherboard manufactured by Intel but usually once I get a working network driver installed, Windows Update will find current versions of all the other chipset specific drivers.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2011-01-04, 7:30 AM #46
I uninstalled the driver for my sound card to see what happened and like I said earlier it found a "hi definition audio device" and automatically installed the drivers. Now it sounds all weird and crackly. I'm going to reinstall the ones from intel's web site.

I found another thing that really annoys me. My brother bought a netbook which apparently has a version of windows that won't let you ... change the desktop background. That's insane. Microsoft wants $79.99 for an upgrade that will enable that functionality. Ugh.
2011-01-04, 7:49 AM #47
Yeah Win7 Starter Edition is sorta gimped. MS pretty much gives it away to keep Linux off netbooks.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2011-01-04, 7:53 AM #48
I've never heard of such a thing! That's quite ridiculous.

However, a quick google tells me there's work-arounds at least

Tis a silly limitation indeed. Hell I haven't thought to change my background from the completely black one I accidentally set... ooh a few months ago now.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2011-01-04, 12:11 PM #49
I like the windows key, but I keep a screwdriver around to pop it out when I play games.
Modern video games do not like task switching, no sir.
E: Win7 Starter Edition is the worst thing, there is no possible explanation for it beyond "We want to force our way into the netbook market" as much as I love windows, MS does some evil ****.
2011-01-04, 12:26 PM #50
Originally posted by Tibby:
I like the windows key, but I keep a screwdriver around to pop it out when I play games.

Seriously? You know there's applications to disable that, right? Also don't have butterfingers.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2011-01-04, 12:40 PM #51
[http://www.jplegacy.org/encyc/novelette-database/11.jpg]
2011-01-04, 12:40 PM #52
My keyboard has a switch to turn it off. I never use it, because yeah, I don't have butterfingers.
2011-01-04, 12:42 PM #53
Modern games don't task switch?
2011-01-04, 12:48 PM #54
I can't think of any that I've played recently that screw up...

Some may take a while if you don't have much memory to work with, but I haven't seen any games that crash when you try lately.
2011-01-04, 4:19 PM #55
Only time the Windows key has really bothered me has been while I was playing Diablo over break. I'd go to press Alt so I could loot easier and accidentally hit the Windows key. Really bad when I did that while fighting Diablo.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2011-01-04, 4:26 PM #56
Originally posted by Tibby:
Modern video games do not like task switching, no sir.

I've yet to find one that gives me trouble when I alt-tab out of it.
2011-01-04, 4:56 PM #57
Originally posted by Darth:
My keyboard has a switch to turn it off.

HOLY CRAP that's what the switch is for... thanks!
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2011-01-04, 8:30 PM #58
You know, I was just thinking. I know, I know, that's hard to believe but stick with me. If the thread title was renamed to "I remember why Tibby annoys me" and the content stayed exactly the same, it would still work. Sorry Tibby but you dissed Brian too much. You really shouldn't. Brian is basically Kevin Flynn and CM, I think, is CLU. Not quite sure who is Tron but all will be revealed in the future.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2011-01-04, 11:52 PM #59
Originally posted by Wookie06:
Not quite sure who is Tron but all will be revealed in the future.

kyle90
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2011-01-05, 8:48 AM #60
It doesn't bother me.
2011-01-05, 7:38 PM #61
I wasn't aware that Tibby had driver issues
2011-01-06, 4:25 AM #62
Originally posted by zanardi:
HOLY CRAP that's what the switch is for... thanks!

what he said, i had no idea what that little switch on my keyboard was for.
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%

↑ Up to the top!