Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → lame my tv just broke.
lame my tv just broke.
2011-01-02, 9:43 PM #1
:(
50 inch plasma...
We were watching something.. and all of a sudden, the screen went blank.

The power light's still on, I tried switching inputs... nothing. black screen. I'm sad.

Post stuff that's broke. Tell me your miseries so I won't feel so bad.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2011-01-02, 9:56 PM #2
My dot matrix printer went bork. :(
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2011-01-02, 10:40 PM #3
My first 22" Samsung LCD monitor that I got in 2008 finally broke down last week. For the past 6 months or so it took like 2-10 minutes to turn on (during which the light just kept flashing and the monitor itself was just whirring and stuff) anyway. I ordered my new 24" Samsung monitor 2 weeks ago but it's out of stock so it'll take some time to get here.

.. so now I'll have to cope with using my 32" HDTV, I hope I won't get used to it because I'd have to rearrange my desks and stuff. :|
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2011-01-02, 11:07 PM #4
My computer desk broke yesterday. Yeah. A desk.. broke. I don't really understand it either.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2011-01-02, 11:12 PM #5
Look up that model and search for repair info. A lot of times it's something simple like blown capacitors or a fuse in the power supply for the backlight.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2011-01-02, 11:47 PM #6
With CRTs lasting 30+ years without a problem these flat panel TVs have a lot to live up to.

A couple weeks ago I was driving my 03 Grand Marquis and the headlights just went out. They came back on a few minutes later but remained intermittent.

I did a little research online and found out about the "Lighting Control Module" and how it goes bad. It's a computer under the dash that controls all the lighting functions. It's a $600 part from Ford. I did a little more research and found out about the "EQ1" model relay that is inside the module that overheats and fails causing the problem. It's a $3 part from any online electronics distributor. Spent an evening removing the box, desoldering the fried relay from the PCB, soldering the new one, and viola I fixed my headlights. I ****ing love the internet for this reason. Hopefully this inspires you.
2011-01-02, 11:57 PM #7
Originally posted by Dash_rendar:
With CRTs lasting 30+ years without a problem these flat panel TVs have a lot to live up to.

To be fair it's rarely a problem with the panel themselves. I just repaired five Dell LCDs for my dad, four of them had blown transistors in the power supply and the last one had blown caps. The caps were the cheapest possible caps from CapXon (rubbish). It's purely an issue of quality of parts. It's also less of an issue on the more expensive models.
2011-01-03, 3:44 AM #8
My 360 redringed the day the new 360/kinect bundle was released. Coincidence? Probably.
2011-01-03, 4:54 AM #9
Originally posted by Emon:
or a fuse in the power supply for the backlight.

plasmas don't have a backlight
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2011-01-03, 6:37 AM #10
Originally posted by Emon:
To be fair it's rarely a problem with the panel themselves. I just repaired five Dell LCDs for my dad, four of them had blown transistors in the power supply and the last one had blown caps. The caps were the cheapest possible caps from CapXon (rubbish). It's purely an issue of quality of parts. It's also less of an issue on the more expensive models.

Not to divert the thread but Emon, you seem very well versed in most all things electrical, what do you do for a living or are going to school for?
2011-01-03, 7:24 AM #11
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
My first 22" Samsung LCD monitor that I got in 2008 finally broke down last week

Wow it lasted 2 years and you bought another one? I still have a Gateway LCD from 2003 that still werks.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2011-01-03, 7:46 AM #12
Yeah, it still pisses me off since there were no signs of breakage before the odd whirring and flashing started! OH well :|

Coincidentally not long after I made my earlier post my new monitor was shipped. Should take a few days now. (8>
2011-01-03, 10:24 AM #13
I think his point was that you bought another samsung after yours only lasted 2 years. Maybe give another brand a chance or something.

Sarn, how old is the TV? If you bought it at costco they automatically extend the manufacturers warranty to 2 years.
2011-01-03, 10:40 AM #14
Oh! I was looking at these BenQ monitors but conveniently they were out of stock on those... but yeah, I guess I could have spent more time on monitor searching :\
2011-01-03, 10:51 AM #15
my car decided that it wanted to be fixed alot this last month:
Rear transmission seal replaced because it was leaking caused by:
U-joint on driveshaft replaced because of binding
Timing belt jumped because it was in the stretching out period
Muffler in various states of either repaired or not because of rust, currently repaired
Driver's taillight/flasher wiring gets loose and then fixes itself sometimes.
need to do other minor work on my car.

slowly having this car destroy itself from under me, but thankfully its taking its time
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2011-01-03, 11:43 AM #16
Hard drive in my old dell laptop just up and died a couple days ago. Was doing a restart for an AVG update, computer went through self check for startup, then comes up with a HDD ERROR. Boot into BIOS and hard drive is not found. It was working fine then nothing.
2011-01-03, 5:38 PM #17
Originally posted by Brian:
Sarn, how old is the TV? If you bought it at costco they automatically extend the manufacturers warranty to 2 years.

It's a bit older than 2 years, and we bought it at wal-mart.. Which to my knowledge will allow you to return/exchange up to a year after purchase. Anyway, I found a local tv repair shop that I'm gonna try and take it to. Hopefully it doesn't end up being super expensive.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2011-01-03, 5:46 PM #18
Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
plasmas don't have a backlight

Well, no. I was speaking generally in terms of TV repair. I assume there are similar, analogous problems with plasmas.

Originally posted by x25064:
Not to divert the thread but Emon, you seem very well versed in most all things electrical, what do you do for a living or are going to school for?

No, it's just a hobby. I repair and build things for fun. I'm pretty good with practical hands on work, but I don't know enough theory. I can build things and solder better than most EE students, I just can't explain why the stuff I build actually works.
2011-01-03, 8:35 PM #19
People still watch TV on a TV?
2011-01-03, 10:11 PM #20
I use a TV for my computer monitor.

o.0
2011-01-04, 6:25 AM #21
Yeah same. That was the primary purpose of this tv. Mostly we watched movies and tv shows off netflix and hulu.

2011-01-04, 11:28 AM #22
Originally posted by DSettahr:
People still watch TV on a TV?

i do, i get distracted on my PC and start clicking crap, TV with a DVR to fastforward keeps me engaged in the program
2011-01-05, 6:25 PM #23
Took the tv in to a place called Three Atoms today...

Will update.

2011-01-05, 6:41 PM #24
Parts: $0.50
Labor: $375.00

:saddowns:
2011-01-07, 8:50 AM #25
vizio tv sarn?
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2011-01-07, 4:05 PM #26
Nope it's a Phillips. (My other tv is a Vizio though)

Also, Dash, you're probably not too far off. :p

2011-01-07, 4:15 PM #27
My dog left a blanket in his doggy door. A few mice got in the house and used my laser printer as a house.

↑ Up to the top!