Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Some small confessions about my gaming habits
Some small confessions about my gaming habits
2011-01-09, 2:33 PM #1
Whenever I play a game such as Oblivion or Fallout in which your character can drink alcohol, I feel compelled to drink some myself. I am certainly not an alcoholic by any measure--I take pleasure in the act of drinking more than being intoxicated. The rustic bottles of mead and cyrodilic brandy, and the oddly glowing radioactive whiskey just look so appealing! They must be triggering some kind of Pavlovian response.

I have a tendency to play many games like a miser and a hoarder. I accumulate all sorts of equipment I never end up using, and attempt to solve every obstacle in the most efficient manner possible. Sometimes I fear this is indicative of my own living habits, and that I may some day live in narrow corridors between stacks of accumulated junk in cardboard boxes.

Though I can appreciate open-ended nonlinear sandbox gameplay, I don't think it's the be-all and end-all of gameplay design. Sometimes I like being railroaded. If you know what I mean.
I'm just a little boy.
2011-01-09, 2:49 PM #2
You should do a let's play video where you drink when your character drinks. In fact, I think you might even be drunk right now!
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2011-01-09, 5:18 PM #3
tip some 40s
2011-01-09, 5:20 PM #4
someone should do a study
2011-01-09, 5:38 PM #5
Originally posted by Flirbnic:
I have a tendency to play many games like a miser and a hoarder. I accumulate all sorts of equipment I never end up using, and attempt to solve every obstacle in the most efficient manner possible. Sometimes I fear this is indicative of my own living habits, and that I may some day live in narrow corridors between stacks of accumulated junk in cardboard boxes.

I definitely do this in Fallout. I've actually packed on so much crap onto my character just to unload into a safe, that I had to carry a weapon via the "grab" key back, because my inventory was overweight. My storage areas are massive and take a long time to open. I keep saying I need to sell off this crap, but I can't find enough NPCs with money to sell to. It's gotten to the point where I almost don't want to open the safe anymore >.>
2011-01-09, 8:26 PM #6
I try to do things in the most efficient way possible...which means that I never use anything that I might need later. Including on bosses. In Fallout, I never take chems because I don't know when I'll need them later. Same for any game with rare ammo for super-guns, I just never use them because I want the ammo just in case, and then I never end up using them.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2011-01-09, 9:15 PM #7
I like putting the Mini-Nukes in my fridge. Then everyone's safe!
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2011-01-09, 10:59 PM #8
Originally posted by Zloc_Vergo:
I try to do things in the most efficient way possible...which means that I never use anything that I might need later. Including on bosses. In Fallout, I never take chems because I don't know when I'll need them later. Same for any game with rare ammo for super-guns, I just never use them because I want the ammo just in case, and then I never end up using them.

I do this too, and I was pleasantly surprised recently to find a game that eases you out of that habit. It's called Aquaria. Basically, you find ingredients throughout the game you can use to make items that have special effects. For most gameplay, you don't need them, but they do in fact come in very handy for bosses (in fact, they are what tipped the scale for me several times). Great game, btw. I recommend it.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2011-01-09, 11:06 PM #9
I'm pretty bad at hording anything I can get my mits on in Fallout3. I usually blow up megaton right off the bat so I'll have a house to store things as soon as possible.

Usually I'll have my character drink all of my boo's after I make him/her kill an innocent bystander, or screw everyone over. I guess it's so I feel like my character is drowning his sorrows over the hard choices he makes.

. . . When I read this I'm kind of glad my disc is scratched and I haven't been able to play for the last 4 months.
My blawgh.
2011-01-09, 11:09 PM #10
I did something similar in STALKER. In the village were you start off there is always a bunch of NPCs sitting around a fire talking and listening to music, etc. I remember a few times I'd watch the fire with them and have a few shots of vodka. Its lame I know. Once I remember taking a shot and all of a sudden right before I swallowed my vodka, a bunch of wild dogs attacked the camp and everyone jumped up and starting yelling and shooting. I was shocked and I can say it was an awesome moment in gaming.
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2011-01-09, 11:36 PM #11
Originally posted by genk:
I like putting the Mini-Nukes in my fridge. Then everyone's safe!

If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2011-01-10, 12:39 AM #12
I did this on Bioshock with all the uber-ammo.

Made the last boss waaaaay too easy. (I saved ammo by lumping all my stats into bloodlust and melee damage - I battered my way to savings!)
2011-01-10, 1:09 AM #13
For me it's smoking in movies, and DEFINITELY anti-smoking ads.
Ironically, in old movies where people smoke all the time I'm fine. It's in modern movies where smoking is out of place that makes me feel like having a smoke.
In most games I'm a huge hoarder, but in Fallout I never was. I think it's because I got right into the role of a character and the idea of making things or collecting things never fit with my characters... character.....
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2011-01-10, 2:53 AM #14
I also hoard compulsively, in IWD1 I got to the end boss of the game without using any potions. After dieing around 10 times, I realised I'd forgotten they were there, and so chugged about 7 of them.

I used to play warcraft 2, trying to use as few units as possible with as few losses to get through the map. Always felt burnt by the score screen afterwards, which rewarded you for razing the entire map's resources to build as many units as possible.
2011-01-10, 4:21 AM #15
Have I posted this here before?
Here are some screens of my home in Morrowind not long before I stopped playing. With weapons and armour I only stored the stuff I deemed "totally rad," usually because of their stats but also because they look great. With potions I only kept the really good ones that are actually useful (not that I ever use them lulz), and if you were to put the cursor on one you would most likely see it's actually several dozen of the same potion because I've seriously kept almost every one I ever found or was given. There is thousands of them across those bottles.
Also there is every neat trinket I found or was given or any other interesting thing. Every book I was ever given, every spell scroll I ever found or was given. You can't see it in the pictures, but on top of the dresser is every key I ever found or was given. There's about 50 there.
What you cant see is that the closet and dresser are filled with more weapons, armour and clothing. FILLED.

Yep, I hoard.
Attachment: 24601/what.jpg (442,813 bytes)
2011-01-10, 4:33 AM #16
I used to hoard things like that. Most modern games, however, don't become impossible if you find yourself without healing items. They also tend to have upper limits on the items you can carry. In Bioshock, I'll come across a first aid kit when I already have the max, so I'll use one to heal a tiny sliver of health and pick up the new one.
2011-01-10, 4:39 AM #17
Similar hoardy-thing I recall:

Final Fantasy 8 on the PSX - I worked my way up to the top of the Card Club, got as many rare cards as I could (I couldn't be bothered tracking the Card Queen around - that was a step too far) then refined them ALL at the start of Ultimecia's Castle. I had 100 Holy Wars (all party invincible for a set time) stocked for effectively two difficult boss fights (Ultima Weapon and the Ultimecia/Ring Pet).

Again, ended up making it too easy at the end. Ooops.
2011-01-10, 4:44 AM #18
Hey Jin. There's no room on the bed for sleeping!

Also, no more video games for you until you clean up your room.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2011-01-10, 5:01 AM #19
Originally posted by Deadman:
For me it's smoking in movies, and DEFINITELY anti-smoking ads.
Ironically, in old movies where people smoke all the time I'm fine. It's in modern movies where smoking is out of place that makes me feel like having a smoke.

This.
2011-01-10, 5:04 AM #20
Originally posted by Martyn:
Similar hoardy-thing I recall:

Final Fantasy 8 on the PSX - I worked my way up to the top of the Card Club, got as many rare cards as I could (I couldn't be bothered tracking the Card Queen around - that was a step too far) then refined them ALL at the start of Ultimecia's Castle. I had 100 Holy Wars (all party invincible for a set time) stocked for effectively two difficult boss fights (Ultima Weapon and the Ultimecia/Ring Pet).

Again, ended up making it too easy at the end. Ooops.

I hope you mean Omega Weapon, because Ultima Weapon was in the dungeon under the oil rig thingy and was ridiculously easy. I did discover by accident that using Defend made you immune to Terra Flare, which was lucky because Holy War only lasts 3 rounds and that's when Omega decided to cast it.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2011-01-10, 5:21 AM #21
I did indeed mean Omega Weapon. It's been 10 years or so <_<.

I really want a FF8 remake on iOS :D
2011-01-10, 8:25 AM #22
i always did the same thing with hoarding in marrowind and oblivion... i really dont think that is healthy, even if its just a game.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob

↑ Up to the top!