Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Hard Drive problem
Hard Drive problem
2011-01-13, 3:23 PM #1
For those of you who are hardware tech savy:

I have a Western Digital hard drive that used to be an external drive, the power source died and I installed it as a second drive for my eMachines computer.

I recently got a new computer (a "Cyberpower" computer) with Windows 7 and installed the drive shortly after getting it and it worked fine for a long time as a second drive in my new computer.

Then suddenly the drive stopped showing up on my computer, in my settings (drive management, etc. etc.) and all of that. I assumed the drive was ruined until I put it back into my old computer (while I was rebacking up some of that data) and it worked just fine.

This seems odd to me.

My primary drive isn't connected via a SATA2 cable, and I've tried every combination of reconnecting the second drive with the sata cable into the slot.

The real strange thing here is that it just doesn't work anymore. Any ideas?
2011-01-13, 4:04 PM #2
Try a different slot on the motherboard? Perhaps the slot is bad.
2011-01-13, 4:08 PM #3
From what I can remember, there's only one SATA2 slot. I'll have to check again though
2011-01-13, 5:11 PM #4
I would try a different SATA cable and different power molex (if possible).
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2011-01-13, 5:24 PM #5
On a serious note, you went from eMachines (A notoriously bad OEM) to Cyberpower, who as far as I can tell do custom builds. Why not just build it yourself?
2011-01-14, 9:02 AM #6
Originally posted by EAH_TRISCUIT:
I would try a different SATA cable and different power molex (if possible).

Wow I didn't even think of that. I just used the cable from my old computer and it works. Thanks a lot!

Quote:
On a serious note, you went from eMachines (A notoriously bad OEM) to Cyberpower, who as far as I can tell do custom builds. Why not just build it yourself?

Well I hadn't had a newer computer for quite a few years and had never build a computer before so I wasn't confident enough to try.
2011-01-14, 10:48 AM #7
Fair enough, it's really easy though.

↑ Up to the top!