Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Massassi Recommended Reading List
Massassi Recommended Reading List
2011-01-15, 9:56 AM #1
I have been meaning to start this thread for about a year now which is why I'm kicking it off with the last four books I've read. I actually buy way more books than I read. I like hardcover books but it seems like I can't (read: don't) set aside the time to read them. The last four books had the right combination of interesting content and readability for me to have read each of them fairly quickly. I have others I've started but not finished so hopefully I can modify my habits and get them on the list as well. I'm working two jobs and have a couple stalled home improvement projects to finish, though.

Please add to the list. I would say keep multiple book recommendations to your first post and then update with single book recommendations as you read them. Also, despite the thread title, please keep to a minimum simply recommending books that you haven't recently read.

In the order I read them:

1. Black Hearts: One Platoon's Descent into Madness in Iraq's Triangle of Death by Jim Frederick
This is an amazing book. It details some horrific events that took place in one area of Iraq. I have many connections to the content.

First, I served in 1st Battalion, 502nd Infantry, the battalion that is the main focus of the book, from 1991 to 1993. Even though that was many years prior to the events in the book I actually met at least three of the people featured back then. Fortunately, they were three of the "good guys".

Second, unfortunately, I met one of the bad guys, James Barker, while serving as a recruiter in Fresno, CA. I was not his recruiter but what makes him even more memorable was that he did not have a diploma. An excellent individual, a retired Marine Colonel, helped kids earn their diplomas and Barker was among them.

Third, I was in 2nd Battalion, 502nd Infantry, a sister battalion, during this time period. Our sectors were adjacent and my duties kept me busy at the Battalion's and Brigade's Tactical Operations Centers (TOC). I would often hear the reports of many of the incidents described in the book. Something I learned a long time ago was that when a story doesn't make sense you either don't have all the facts or somebody is lying. This book provided me with the facts necessary to resolve the reports I heard earlier.

Another interesting note: A key figure in the book had the same rank and name as I (Staff Sergeant Miller). I would meet him near the end of the deployment when he was sent to fulfill the same duties I sometimes did. Two SSG Millers, sitting next to each other, completing the same duties for our respective units.

I highly recommend this book.

2. Rush Limbaugh: An Army of One by Zev Chafets

An interesting biography of the man. I recommend this book to anyone interested in issues pertaining to modern news media as it takes the largest (no pun intended) news and political commentary radio personality as its subject.

One of the passages I found interesting:

Quote:
Golden has been screening Limbaugh's calls and acting as his alter ego going back to the start of the national show. "When he came to ABC in 1988, the in-joke was that AM radio was going to be Muzak at the Hilton Hotels. Howard Stern was on FM. Imus was on WNBC, but he wasn't even syndicated. Everybody ABC tried, all the big DJs from around the country, bombed. I wasn't happy at ABC and I quit, which is when Rush hired me for his show. He had no idea what my politics were and he never asked."

One day, early on, Limbaugh walked into the studio and found Golden in tears. He was broke and couldn't pay his bills. The next day, Limbaugh handed him an envelope with five thousand dollars in it. "Rush wasn't rich then," says Golden. "Five thousand dollars was a lot of money to him. He told me, 'This is a gift, not a loan,' and didn't mention it again. At that moment I decided, anything I can do for the guy, I'm in. I hear people call him every name in the book, especially on race. They have no ****ing clue who this man is."

Golden is a voracious reader of history, and we were chatting about World War I when Limbaugh walked into the room. "James," he said, "I want to ask you a question. We were talking yesterday and, let me put it this way, would it ever bother you to go to a school named George Washington or Thomas Jefferson because they were slave owners?"

Golden laughed. "Well. I can tell you that when I was in school, I was the one who stood up in English class and gave a speech about why the Black Panthers are needed."

Limbaugh looked befuddled. "But James, you're a conservative," he said.

"That's right, I am."

"You're an American Patriot."

Golden nodded. "I am. Absolutely. But I don't celebrate the Fourth of July - that's not my Independence Day. That's white people's Independence Day." Something clicked, and I remembered Golden, as Bo Snerdley [Official Obama Criticizer], riffing on how Michelle Obama was "frontin'" in her speech at the Democratic National Convention when she didn't tell the nation that blacks don't consider the Fourth of July to be their Independence Day. Evidently Limbaugh hadn't been listening or maybe he thought Golden was just kidding. Now he seemed shocked to discover that Bo Snerdley, the Official Obama Criticizer, Rush's sidekick for two decades, a conservative in the very best kind of standing, didn't celebrate the nation's birthday. Limbaugh has an expressive face, and I could see him turning the matter over in his mind.

3. Decision Points by George W. Bush

A must read if you care about politics. I think fair minded people, that are interested in the relevant topics, would care to learn about the decision making process of the previous president and administration. I found the following paragraph interesting and the final sentence always reminds me of Emon:

Quote:
At first I was troubled by my doubts. The notion of a living God was a big leap, especially for someone with a logical mind like mine. Surrendering yourself to an Almighty is a challenge to the ego. But I came to realize that struggles and doubts are natural parts of faith. If you haven't doubted, you probably haven't thought very hard about what you believe.

4. Up from the Projects: An Autobiography by Walter E. Williams

Dr. Williams has interested me for as long as I've known of him. When I recently discovered his autobiography I purchased it without hesitation. He will occasionally fill in for Limbaugh, all too rarely in my opinion, and he uses every chance to take the opportunity to express his economic findings. He also has a cutting edge wit that I see from reading the book has served him well. It's also amazing to see how one can come from such humble roots in this country and find themselves dining with presidents before their life is over. I got a kick out of this paragraph:

Quote:
I'd occasionally lose patience with some of my liberal colleagues, for example, when I had had it with one super-liberal. He was a very nice guy but also very naive, and he was spouting guilt-motivated nonsense to me. I suggested that he cure himself of guilt for what his ancestors did to mine by stealing a car, getting arrested, and then getting sentenced for a year or so at Philadelphia's Graterford Prison. I told him that by the time my "brothers" got finished with him, and had him wearing panties and makeup and carrying a pocketbook, he'd be happy about what his ancestors did to mine. My response might have been a bit strong and unprofessional, but it brought a reward: he hardly spoke to me again.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2011-01-15, 12:15 PM #2
1. Effective Java, Second Edition by Joshua Bloch

A book chock full of ideas that make you go, "ohhh, yeah, I would have eventually figured that out," without making you actually spend the time discovering them on your own.

2. Alphabet of Manliness

A startling insight into the psyche behind PageWizard_YKS.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2011-01-15, 12:15 PM #3
Woah Wookie, that's a lot of, shall we say charged reading. I'll recommend something more light hearted:

Jasper Fforde - The Eyre Affair

It's the first in a series of books concerning Thursday Next, a literary detective in an alternate 1982 where Dodos have made a comeback, the Crimean War is in its 120th year and Croquet is the national sport. It's funny, flippant and wonderfully random.
2011-01-15, 1:05 PM #4
Masters of Doom: How Two Guys Created an Empire and Transformed Pop Culture - David Kushner.

A very excellent read about the rise and fall of the two Johns. Sure, kind of old, but it really gives you an insight into the different mindsets each John had.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2011-01-15, 2:13 PM #5
I actually really would like to read the rush limbaugh army of one book. Despite my misgivings about him it is obvious that he is an intelligent guy and I think it would be interesting to get a look into his life.

Also...
Pirate latitudes, by Michael Crichton.
It is kind of what pirates of the Caribbean wishes it was.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2011-01-15, 2:30 PM #6
Sex with Kings - an awesome book about royal mistresses throughout history. It talks about queens a bit too - mostly in the context of the mistress' relationship with the queen and the power relationship between the two, but mostly it's about the mistresses. It's fantastic, though I'm not sure if you guys would find it interesting.

I just started reading the companion book -Sex with Queens, which I'm very curious about (because I was under the impression they didn't really get much, aside from the requisite "let's get an heir" boinking)

Aside from that - Ragtime by E.L. Doctorrow is really cool, and one of my all time favorite books is probably The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy

I don't imagine that you guys would be interested in my romance recommendations, so I'll leave it at that for now
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2011-01-15, 2:48 PM #7
Arrowsmith, by Sinclair Lewis. My favorite book of all time. About medical and scientific ethics, among other things.

Watership Down, by Richard Adams. You can interpret it as nothing more than fantasy, or you can interpret it as political commentary. Either way, it's an awesome book.

The Worst Journey in the World, by Apsley Cherry-Garard. A first person account of Scott's ill-fated journey to the South Pole. Probably the best adventure writing I've ever read.

South, by Ernest Shackleton. Shackleton's expedition to Antarctica spent a winter with their ship frozen in the ice near Antarctica. Come spring, the ship was crushed and sank, forcing the crew to spend several months living on the ice as it drifted northward. Then, when the ice started to break up, they took to the life boats and made it to dry land after a dangerous journey of several days though the pack ice. Then, Shackleton and a few others set sail across 800 miles of the stormiest sea on earth to get help. Their objective was an island no more than a 100 miles wide, if they missed it, there was no hope of reaching inhabited land until Africa (and no turning back due to the winds). They made it to the island, but landed on the wrong side, and were unable to set sail again due to the currents, and were forced to hike across uncharted mountains and glaciers with no mountaineering equipment (their route would not be repeated until years later by trained climbers with proper equipment) to a whaling station, where they were finally able to get help. And none of that is the most amazing part of all this; what's the most incredible aspect of this entire story is that not a single person died. Shackleton, through his leadership and refusal at any point to ever give up, pretty much cemented his legacy forever as a badass by the time all was said and done. This book is the story if that expedition, in his own words.

The Otherland Quadrilogy, by Tad Williams. This series of 4 sci-fi/cyberpunk/fantasy books is easily the best pulp reading I've done in a while. The main character get caught up in a whirlwind of deception and conspiracy when they become trapped in a network of on-line worlds that is more realistic than anything they've ever experience before. The different worlds that Tad Williams invents are so interesting they alone are almost worth the read (Here's a hint: imagine a land of Oz where, years after Dorothy has come and gone, the Tin Man and the Scarecrow are at war with each other).
2011-01-16, 4:53 AM #8
anthony de mello - "awareness", which I helping me to finally get a life instead of the usual constant FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT. The current pope advised against reading it when he was still a cardinal, which is about as good a recommendation as it gets.

I'd advise everyone here to read it too, but you all already have a life, don't you ;) ;)

For those still in doubt: check out youtube "anthony de mello - rediscovering life" or "rediscovery of life", something like that.

I stupidly don't read much anymore really... :(
He said to them: "You examine the face of heaven and earth, but you have not come to know the one who is in your presence, and you do not know how to examine the present moment." - Gospel of Thomas
2011-01-16, 7:12 AM #9
I just bought The Catcher in the Rye the other day.i don't remember much from when I read it in high school, but it has been really good so far.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2011-01-16, 8:22 AM #10
Originally posted by - Tony -:
Masters of Doom: How Two Guys Created an Empire and Transformed Pop Culture - David Kushner.

A very excellent read about the rise and fall of the two Johns. Sure, kind of old, but it really gives you an insight into the different mindsets each John had.

Probably my favorite book ever. I read it about twice a year.

I just read Extra Lives and Everything Bad Is Good For You. Very interesting books about the cultural, artistic, and educational merits of video games and other media. People who dismiss video games and television as non-art or mind numbing escapism are ignorant.
"I'm afraid of OC'ing my video card. You never know when Ogre Calling can go terribly wrong."
2011-01-16, 8:45 AM #11
My "To Read" list is immense, but have I usually picked TV or gaming or bass playing over books the last year.

What I want to read:

Star Wars: Fate of the Jedi: Vortex - it's the newest in a so far lackluster series, however, I'm told it's the best so far.

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy & Restaurant at the End of the Universe - I used to read these two every year because they are short and lol funny - they get a *Chewie Recommends*

What I have lined up to read:

Science Formative Assessment

Classroom Instruction that Works

Dinah Zike's Big Book of Science for Middle School and High School

A Handbook for Classroom Instruction that Works

Boy's and Girls Learn Differently!

The last book I read was a couple of months ago, and it was What Great Teachers Do Differently. It was pretty good.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2011-01-16, 8:50 AM #12
I think the last book I read was Nineteen Eighty-Four back in January 2007. Reading's too high-tech for me.

Kind of inconvenient, considering that I have to read this 420 page book before June 7th. Might even get to page 2!
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2011-01-16, 9:10 AM #13
I want to read Brave New World, if only because people here have mentioned it.
2011-01-16, 9:17 AM #14
Trust, by Anthony Seldon
A mainly political manifesto for improving and rebuilding trust between the general public and various public bodies, institutions and businesses.

The overall gist is that as individuals we need to change our mindsets from of one of personal rights to one of responsibilities also, that we need to fight the atomisation of society and improve the situations that have led to a loss of trust. Unfortunately the author dithers between claiming trust is destroyed by enforcing good behaviour via policy and realising that trust cannot be generated under the current circumstances anyway. A lot of it then boils down to "well when we've made everything better, we'll be a much more trustful society". It also frequently failed to address the massive inequality in wealth in this still very classist country; the source of a lot of our problems including a lack of trust. As an example: the author's the headteacher at a school that charges ~£30,000 pa and he unsurprisingly seemed to have no idea how underfunded most state schools are, rendering many of his expensive suggestions in education useless.

A Time-Traveller's Guide to Medieval England, by Ian Mortimer
Uses the gimmick of writing history as a tourist's guide to look at daily life in the 14th century. I found it helped put into context a lot of the narrative history of the time as well as some of the laws, traditions and architecture present in the UK today.

Man's Search for Meaning, by Viktor E. Frankl
One half a holocaust survivor's memoir and one half a treatise on psychology. The first half is fascinating and harrowing as you'd expect from anecdotes about Auschwitz, the second half pleasantly surprised me as despite being a bit "self-helpy" it managed to do so without insulting my intelligence.

Granta 102: The New Nature Writing
I'm a bit of a fan of this style of writing - partly about nature itself and the biology or geology behind it, but also the folklore of places and the inhabitants: human beings not as separate from nature and landscape but equally part of it for good or ill. Some of the prose does get awfully purple
though.
2011-01-16, 9:44 AM #15
Cryptonomicon, by Neal Stephenson.
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2011-01-16, 9:56 AM #16
1. Postsecret: It's actually a really quick read. Basicly it is an ongoing community mail art project, created by Frank Warren, in which people mail their secrets anonymously on a homemade postcard. Select secrets are then posted on the PostSecret website, used for PostSecret's books or in his museum exhibits. It's pretty amazing. There are some really funny ones, crazy one, sad ones, and ones that just make you think WTF? You could also just check out the website. Google it.

2. The Art of Manliness: I honestly don't even know how to describe this one. Check out the book - Manliness Or the website - artofmanliness
"Hello one day ban." ~ Baconfish
>Liberius when he's not on Massassi<
2011-01-17, 5:40 AM #17
@Sugarless: You might be interested in Sin in the Second City, it's about the Everleigh Club [and other less refined brothels] in Chicago in the teens/20s and was a pretty fascinating read.

@Darth_Alran: I'll have to check that out, I keep seeing it and then keep forgetting about it again.

I just finished Anathem a couple weeks back. It was a bit of a trudge at first but I got really into it after a hundred pages or so. I'd like to recommend to him a dedication, though: "To all my fans who read the Baroque Cycle and didn't think that I could be any more of a clever dick."

Since then I've been reading:
- Little Bee which is a heartbreaking story about a Nigerian immigrant to England.
- T.A. Pratt's Marla Mason series which are urban fantasy fluff involving gen-x witches.
- And just picking up the Gormenghast books again because I love them so, they're just so ponderous and gloomy, like reading Gothic architecture in braille.

The Otherland books kind of rock actually, and I also thoroughly enjoyed War of the Flowers [had a bit of a Charles DeLindt feel to it].

Also I watched the Owls of Ga'hoole movie and I'm kind of obsessed now, trying to find a cheap source for the series [which is like 15 frigging books].

And waiting for my copy of The Last Eunuch of China-The Life of Sun Yaoting to arrive.
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2011-01-17, 11:58 AM #18
Thanks, Dor! I'm going to have to check that one out!
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2011-01-17, 12:11 PM #19
Bad Science - Ben Goldacre pretty much shoots down homeopathy and other alternative medicine in an entertaining but informative way. Really good read actually :)

The Game by Neil Strauss - Picking up women for nerds, really funny, uplifting book.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2011-01-17, 1:50 PM #20
Originally posted by Martyn:
I want to read Brave New World, if only because people here have mentioned it.

Do. It's a great book, although it's more than 10 years since I read it... wow.

I'm currently reading Irrationality, which looks in to why we make so many evidently dumb decisions. The explanations for people's inability to hold enough information to actually be logical are interesting, but other than that I've found it a bit meh.

Also reading Amazon with Bruce Parry. Legend.
<spe> maevie - proving dykes can't fly

<Dor> You're levelling up and gaining more polys!
2011-01-17, 4:01 PM #21
What the Dog Saw - Malcolm Gladwell
2011-01-17, 4:05 PM #22
Though they might be a little light reading, I'd recommend all of John Green's books (Looking for Alaska, Abundance of Catherines, Paper Towns, [I've not read Will Grayson Will Grayson])
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2011-01-17, 4:14 PM #23
  • "A People's History of the United States" by Howard Zinn
  • "The Blind Watchmaker: Why the Evidence of Evolution Reveals a Universe without Design" & "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins
  • "Letter To A Christian Nation" by Sam Harris
  • "God Is Not Great" by Christopher Hitchens
  • "Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly" by Anthony Bourdain
  • "The Jefferson Bible: The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth" by Thomas Jefferson
? :)

↑ Up to the top!