Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Automobile Insurance
Automobile Insurance
2011-01-17, 9:57 PM #1
I've had Allstate for years but they recently pissed me off. I was loyal because years ago Geico told me there was nothing the could do to lower my rates. I walked into a local Allstate office and instantly cut them dramatically.

Well, I was looking to save some money on my 6 month, $960 premium so I raised the deductible on my truck (financed) from $500 to $2000. They notified the lien holder, which I know they were supposed to do but still, and the lien holder sent me a nasty-gram. So tonight I finally went to progressive and went through their online deal and they quoted me a price of under $500 for three vehicles and the full coverage on the truck back at a $500 deductible.

I cut nearly $500 off my sixth month premium which is a big deal to me as I just pay it in full every six months. Next I need to get my homeowners switched over but it's a little more complicated than I feel like dealing with tonight. Still, once I get that switched over on both my houses I will be done with Allstate.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2011-01-17, 11:08 PM #2
I was an off-and-on customer of progressive over the years. They would be the cheapest but then the rates would creep up for no reason. I switched over to American Family and have had them for about 5 years. They also raise their rates periodically but they typically only go up (or down, actually) a few bucks at a time.

The thing I hated about progressive was that I had been with them for a while (~2 years or so) and they kept raising my rates every 6 months. But I went to their web site pretending to be a new customer and they actually offered much cheaper rates that way. When I called them to see if they could lower my rates to what their web site quoted me, they told me those prices were only for new customers.

I believe the ultimate reason I switched away from them was that their motorcycle rates were astronomical.
2011-01-17, 11:19 PM #3
My 6 month premium is $810 for 2 cars, PLPD on a 91 Camaro and full coverage on a 2003 Grand Marquis. Believe it or not the PLPD on the Camaro is way more expensive than the full coverage on the G.M. I'm only 23 with a perfect record so from what I hear this will be going down in a couple years. I got screwed this last year because I had to take 11 units and need 12 for student discount. Taking 14 this upcoming semester so that will drop me down to $690 so that will be nice. I use Farmers.
2011-01-17, 11:29 PM #4
Originally posted by Brian:
The thing I hated about progressive was that I had been with them for a while (~2 years or so) and they kept raising my rates every 6 months. But I went to their web site pretending to be a new customer and they actually offered much cheaper rates that way. When I called them to see if they could lower my rates to what their web site quoted me, they told me those prices were only for new customers.

Well, I noticed that new policies are discounted $50 for the first six months. There might have been some other small discounts to hook me. Still, significant drop from what I was loyally paying Allstate.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2011-01-18, 3:44 AM #5
Car insurance is a scam. It works like this.

Over the course of six years, you pay them $12,000.

You have an accident which costs $10,000.

They decide you are too risky and drop you.
2011-01-18, 4:10 AM #6
Thanks for the info!

2011-01-18, 7:16 AM #7
Well, in WA and likely in most states you can put cash in a trust fund and you aren't required to have insurance. I think it's somewhere around $50k here but I'm not sure.
2011-01-18, 7:39 AM #8
I'm with State Farm and I love them. They, or at least the office in my area, really take the time to get to know you and work with you, and I can't tell you how much my family has appreciated it during some family and financial difficulties a few years back.

I actually took my car loan out through them about six months back and they really held my hand through that process as well.

Don't get me wrong, just because they're good people doesn't mean my rates aren't going to shoot up when I move out in a few months and am not part of a multi-car discount anymore (and I'm below 25) but I'm definitely happy with them.
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2011-01-18, 8:03 AM #9
Originally posted by JM:
Car insurance is a scam. It works like this.

Over the course of six years, you pay them $12,000.

You have an accident which costs $10,000.

They decide you are too risky and drop you.

fixed

Originally posted by Brian:
Well, in WA and likely in most states you can put cash in a trust fund and you aren't required to have insurance. I think it's somewhere around $50k here but I'm not sure.

This is yet another example of why it's expensive to be poor.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009

↑ Up to the top!