Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Epic RTS games
Epic RTS games
2011-01-21, 9:00 AM #1
Stumbled upon these, a day by day diary of someone playing the largest maps possible in Galactic Civilizations, they're amusing to read through.

Quote:
Of course, I already knew a way to do that - I told you all about it on Day 6. The two ghost worlds I accidentally created, by colonising them with empty colony ships. I could do the same again here, and end up with an almost entirely empty world that still counts as an owned planet. It would be my almost-entirely-empty-world, of course, so I'd have to give it to the Terrans first - perhaps for a tidy price - then immediately destroy it to terrify them.

And to think, they called me crazy.

20 day game
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/161570/blog/galciv-2-war-report-final-entry/?site=pcg

30 day game (in two sections)
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/195920/blog/galactic-civilizations-diary-days-1-26/?site=pcg
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/198344/blog/galactic-civilizations-diary-final-entry/
2011-01-21, 6:00 PM #2
Those aren't RTS games sparky, even though they are cool.
Also, the best 4X game is Master of Orion 2.
2011-01-21, 11:09 PM #3
Not sure what imsoshort's posted as he's on ignore, but meant to correct that to strategy rather than RTS.
2011-01-21, 11:22 PM #4
Oh, Oh bravo. [http://i.somethingawful.com/forumsystem/emoticons/emot-golfclap.gif]
I would like to also point out the term you are looking for is "4x" the sub genre of strategy in which one controls and grows and empire in competition with other empires.
2011-01-21, 11:31 PM #5
Best RTS is Supreme Commander, hands down.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2011-01-21, 11:36 PM #6
It's a good one I'll give you that (and in a completely different sub genre then these other games), but it has a terrible (and small) community, no modding community, and some crippling single player AI bugs. It had so much potential but it was squandered when Supreme Commander 2 decided to just be Starcraft.
2011-01-22, 6:16 AM #7
I am partial to Rise of Nations
2011-01-22, 6:41 AM #8
His blog was quite amusing, I sorta wish he had continued with other games.

I've seen similar projects like a Sims3 daily blog. I also remember a project were someone did Gordon Freemans inner monologue as they performed a walkthru of Half Life.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2011-01-22, 7:10 AM #9
Originally posted by happydud:
Best RTS is Supreme Commander, hands down.

I tried that but it couldn't hold up to my memories of Total Annihilation.
woot!
2011-01-22, 7:14 AM #10
Originally posted by JLee:
I tried that but it couldn't hold up to my memories of Total Annihilation.

This. SupCom is a good try, but it's no Total Annihilation.
2011-01-22, 12:27 PM #11
I've always played with :TA, so that's what I meant.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2011-01-22, 2:22 PM #12
Ah, yes.

I've still got the booklet of Plan B. Still a very fun little read.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2011-01-22, 2:35 PM #13
[Argh. Disregard me. .( ]
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2011-01-22, 3:19 PM #14
The booklet of what?
2011-01-22, 4:26 PM #15
Originally posted by EAH_TRISCUIT:
His blog was quite amusing, I sorta wish he had continued with other games.

I've seen similar projects like a Sims3 daily blog. I also remember a project were someone did Gordon Freemans inner monologue as they performed a walkthru of Half Life.

Tom Francis is a fine, fine man. He did his adventures with the Gnome in both Half-Life 2 and Left 4 Dead 2, and the short story about the Machine of Death was a wonderful read.

And are you talking about The Story of Alice and Kev? And Freeman's Mind?

Originally posted by Tibby:
The booklet of what?

The second of the stories. It's called "Plan B: One Alien Space-Rabbit Dictator's Doomed Quest For Peace". It came with PC Gamer a few years back. I love these sorts of stories.
2011-01-22, 4:47 PM #16
The thing I love about Total Annihilation is that it's a 13 year old game that I can play on my modern computer at 2560x1600 and it's freaking awesome.
2011-01-22, 4:51 PM #17
I get this weird glitch when I play it where it uhh, it sorta has this black line that comes and goes randomly. It's playable but the black line is so irritating that I never play it.
2011-01-22, 4:57 PM #18
I paid the $6 for the version from GOG a while back because I have no idea where my original copy went.

It seems to work fine, but they also do some fairly extensive patching and compatibility testing to make sure the games they sell work on modern hardware and OSs.
2011-01-22, 5:02 PM #19
I'm also using that version.

↑ Up to the top!