Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Internet discussion of Return of the Jedi from when it first came out
Internet discussion of Return of the Jedi from when it first came out
2011-01-22, 8:21 PM #1
http://secrethistoryofstarwars.com/flashbackto1983.html

A collection of posts from usenet from when RotJ was released. It's funny to see people's take on the movie when it was fresh and new.

Edit: Here's a direct link to google's archive of the old Star Wars related discussions from the early 80's:

https://groups.google.com/group/net.movies.sw/topics?hl=en

Browsing through some of those old discussions... it seems like things havent changed much in 27 years when it comes to discussing star wars online.

Quote:
Originally posted by BonnellDS [http://forums.massassi.net/vb3/images/themes/standard2/buttons/viewpost.gif]
NOBODY expects the Lucas Inquisition!!!!
2011-01-22, 8:30 PM #2
Haha, even back then, people were debating Han's use of the word "parsec" in Star Wars:

https://groups.google.com/group/net.movies.sw/browse_thread/thread/e3877d184865f314?hl=en#

https://groups.google.com/group/net.movies.sw/browse_thread/thread/b29b66e0bd8a7ab9?hl=en#
2011-01-22, 8:37 PM #3
Thanks for sharing - I thought the ROTJ comments were pretty interesting to look back on and read
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2011-01-22, 8:44 PM #4
very good post, i enjoyed reading those comments, i wish i couldve been there and experienced it
2011-01-22, 8:45 PM #5
Did any form of internet exist when ESB came out?
2011-01-22, 10:11 PM #6
Huh. I always liked RotJ better than the other two, but it is probably the first one I can actually remember watching all the way through. I had only vague memories of the betrayal scene in ESB at that point, but I'd definitely seen ANH all the way through. Maybe it's just me.
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2011-01-22, 10:32 PM #7
A lot of people find ESB to be the best of the original trilogy, but I disagree. I like ANH best, because it really stands on its own. You could watch it alone and it would be a perfectly wonderful viewing experience. ESB, on the other hand, is so dark and so interconnected you really need the other two for it to work as a story.

-Also, Carrie Fischer was much better in ANH than she was in ESB. Less stoned, apparently.
2011-01-22, 10:38 PM #8
Carrie Fisher is best in ROTJ.
[http://www.gundamvader.net/files/slave_big.jpg]
2011-01-23, 9:16 AM #9
Haha... I recognize one of those sentiments. I was like 'WTF' when the emperor started shooting lightning. The Force can do that?
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2011-01-23, 1:22 PM #10
Originally posted by ORJ_JoS:
Haha... I recognize one of those sentiments. I was like 'WTF' when the emperor started shooting lightning. The Force can do that?

Interesting. I thought it felt strangely appropriate.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2011-01-23, 2:15 PM #11
Yep! you see even back in the 80's people had the ability to use humorous criticism against a movie. "The Father, the Muppet, and the holy ghost/Hologram land" LMAO!
But I personally love all three movies equally, except I always thought George Lucas could of done something better than 'Extraterrestrial Teddy Bears'.
He who controls the spice controls the universe-
2011-01-23, 2:33 PM #12
Y'know; Carrie Fisher never really did it for me.
nope.
2011-01-23, 3:30 PM #13
My biggest disappointment about RotJ was that it was another Death Star. Then again, I never managed to come up with anything more terrifying than that. Don't get me started on EU Suncrusher bull**** though.

Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
Interesting. I thought it felt strangely appropriate.

Yeah, it is appropriate. I liked it. It's just that up until that moment, the Force had always been an invisible power.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2011-01-23, 5:42 PM #14
Originally posted by Baconfish:

Same, but you can't say it here, people start talking about internet standards and how you'd never get anyone like that in real life.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2011-01-23, 5:42 PM #15
But it would have been boring if the emperor just exploded his aorta.
2011-01-23, 6:02 PM #16
I think as a kid I just accepted things like that, but now as an adult it does seem a little strange that that's the one force move that you can see.
2011-01-23, 6:13 PM #17

Get out.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2011-01-23, 7:53 PM #18
Well there had to be *something* tempting about the dark side other than the clothes you get to wear and a red lightsaber. Force lightning was the reason I went dark side my first time through JK.
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2011-01-23, 9:29 PM #19
Really? Lightning never appealed to me in JO (I never played JK). I remember loving choke and mind control though.
2011-01-24, 4:07 AM #20
Originally posted by Deadman:
Same, but you can't say it here, people start talking about internet standards and how you'd never get anyone like that in real life.

But surely if she doesn't do it for me then I don't WANT someone like that in real life. :P
nope.
2011-01-24, 4:40 AM #21
But surely if she doesn't do it for me then I don't WANT someone like that in real life. :P

I've made that exact same argument =p
2011-01-24, 5:57 AM #22
Originally posted by Tibby:
But it would have been boring if the emperor just exploded his aorta.

No it wouldn't. Vader going around force choking dudes without anything flying out of his fist wasn't boring. And neither was the movie Scanners, by the way.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2011-01-24, 9:46 AM #23
She is pretty, but looks a little bit too much like me for me to think she is going to age gracefull-

OH
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2011-01-24, 1:19 PM #24
This message is not against you spook. But I was thinking this pic must be when she was on cocoa leaves again.
Attachment: 24627/Carrie-Fisher41326.jpg (72,004 bytes)
He who controls the spice controls the universe-
2011-01-24, 5:23 PM #25
Originally posted by Darth Dan:
This message is not against you spook. But I was thinking this pic must be when she was on cocoa leaves again.

thats what i mean
Epstein didn't kill himself.

↑ Up to the top!