Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → IPS vs TN LCDs
IPS vs TN LCDs
2011-01-22, 10:57 PM #1
Is there really an omghugedifference?

Dell has a 21.5" eIPS 1080P LCD on sale for $179 now...I have my old Samsung 20" (1680x1050) and another Samsung 23" 1080P, but they're both TN. At 180 bucks, I am tempted to give this a shot..but then I'll have three monitors all in different sizes, which would suck for a 3-display setup.

They also have a 24" IPS LCD that's 1920x1200, but at $440. Oof.
woot!
2011-01-23, 12:00 AM #2
I just got an IPS panel because of all the "OMGBIGDIFFERENCE" talk I heard, but honestly there's not a huge difference. I don't regret my decision since my livelihood depends on color accuracy, but for games and movies a high quality TN panel is great.

Something also to note is IPS panels have double the transistors, so they're kind of power hogs and they heat up pretty fast.
"I'm afraid of OC'ing my video card. You never know when Ogre Calling can go terribly wrong."
2011-01-23, 12:17 AM #3
Ah ok, I may hold off then and wait 'till I can get three identical panels to run Eyefinity.
woot!
2011-01-23, 12:19 AM #4
btw NVIDIA has something like Eyefinity now on the 400+ cards, but only with SLI.
2011-01-23, 1:01 AM #5
Originally posted by Jon`C:
btw NVIDIA has something like Eyefinity now on the 400+ cards, but only with SLI.

oook?
woot!
2011-01-23, 2:05 AM #6
You don't have to care, but others might.
2011-01-23, 2:27 AM #7
You don't have to care, but others might.

I didn't see the relevance to the OP, that's all..
woot!
2011-01-23, 2:49 AM #8
If you're waiting to get three monitors for eyefinity, it's perfectly reasonable to point out that you could instead wait to get three monitors for nvidia 3d vision.
2011-01-23, 5:26 AM #9
Let me help. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
[http://muchoandroid.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/nvidia-played-logo.jpg]
If JonC has convinced you, I'll take that used 5870 off your hands. :XD:
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2011-01-23, 5:53 AM #10
If you're waiting to get three monitors for eyefinity, it's perfectly reasonable to point out that you could instead wait to get three monitors for nvidia 3d vision.

Just to replace a perfectly good HD 5870?

Does nVidia sign your paycheck or what? WTF.
woot!
2011-01-23, 6:58 AM #11
I would go all IPS or no IPS. I ran a crappy TN panel of identical size and resolution beside my Dell 2005FPW for a while and the dramatic difference between the two bugged the **** out of me.

And yes, it is omghugedifference. Especially if you like your monitor to look the same if you move your head a few inches in any given direction.
2011-01-23, 9:49 AM #12
The weird thing about color accuracy is you don't really notice anything unless you're comparing it to something. So yeah, I agree with Darth on that point.
"I'm afraid of OC'ing my video card. You never know when Ogre Calling can go terribly wrong."
2011-01-23, 10:48 AM #13
Originally posted by JLee:
Just to replace a perfectly good HD 5870?

Does nVidia sign your paycheck or what? WTF.
Like I said: You don't have to care, but others might.

What's sure is that nobody cares what video card you own.
2011-01-23, 10:07 PM #14
Like I said: You don't have to care, but others might.

What's sure is that nobody cares what video card you own.

Go make your own thread.
woot!
2011-01-23, 10:09 PM #15
Good derail, 5/5 would trainwreck again.
(Afaik just get the best value monitor as you can, it doesn't really matter about panel types at the mainstream consumer level)
2011-01-23, 10:21 PM #16
Go make your own thread.

oh no, JLee doesn't want me talking about choosing monitors in his thread about choosing monitors :(
2011-01-23, 10:22 PM #17
Originally posted by Tibby:
Good derail, 5/5 would trainwreck again.
(Afaik just get the best value monitor as you can, it doesn't really matter about panel types at the mainstream consumer level)

Have you seen TN and IPS side by side? I haven't, which is why I made this thread. At 180 bucks, I'd consider trying one..but as stated earlier, these don't match size/resolution for anything I have now, so if I were to run multiple monitors they would be mismatched.

If there's not a massive difference, I'll just keep what I have until I have the money to either get a higher-res (2560x1600) display or multiple identical 1080P displays.

oh no, JLee doesn't want me talking about choosing monitors in his thread about choosing monitors :(

Are you high? Usually you make more sense than this.
woot!
2011-01-23, 10:29 PM #18
Are you high? Usually you make more sense than this.

"I think I might want to buy three monitors so I can use them with Eyefinity."
"Oh, did you hear? NVIDIA has something like that too."
"WTF are you talking about? This thread is about ME and MY video card! This is totally off topic! Get out of my thread! This makes no sense! MODS!"
2011-01-23, 10:41 PM #19
"I think I might want to buy three monitors so I can use them with Eyefinity."
"Oh, did you hear? NVIDIA has something like that too."
"WTF are you talking about? This thread is about ME and MY video card! This is totally off topic! Get out of my thread! This makes no sense! MODS!"

Someone should send you a brochure for stick removal services. This thread is about the differences between TN and IPS panels...at least get that right.

Soooo where were you talking about choosing monitors, anyway? I guess I missed that helpful tip. Or was there no helpful tip? HMM!
woot!
2011-01-23, 10:51 PM #20
This thread is about the differences between TN and IPS panels...at least get that right.

You specifically brought Eyefinity into the discussion which makes his post relevant.

What is wrong with you?
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2011-01-23, 11:03 PM #21
Originally posted by Emon:
You specifically brought Eyefinity into the discussion which makes his post relevant.

What is wrong with you?

Apparently it's "let's gang up on jlee" day. I only brought Eyefinity into the discussion because that's why I was thinking about getting three monitors....that's all.

Jesus Christ, all I want to do is see if TN to IPS is worth the premium....seems like the new board rule here is any thread must go off topic before the second page.
woot!
2011-01-23, 11:07 PM #22
I only brought Eyefinity into the discussion because that's why I was thinking about getting three monitors....that's all.

...and Jon just suggested related that people may have found useful. Why is this such a problem

Jesus Christ, all I want to do is see if TN to IPS is worth the premium....seems like the new board rule here is any thread must go off topic before the second page.

It's a DISCUSSION forum open to the PUBLIC. You do not get to specify EXACTLY what goes on in the thread, it is not "yours." It went off topic when YOU made an inflammatory remark referencing another thread.
2011-01-23, 11:12 PM #23
...and Jon just suggested related that people may have found useful. Why is this such a problem

It's a DISCUSSION forum open to the PUBLIC. You do not get to specify EXACTLY what goes on in the thread, it is not "yours." It went off topic when YOU made an inflammatory remark referencing another thread.

Are you referring to the nVidia paycheck comment?
woot!
2011-01-23, 11:18 PM #24
Yes. You shifted this thread off course entirely on your own.
2011-01-23, 11:23 PM #25
Yes. You shifted this thread off course entirely on your own.

I didn't reference another thread..Jon'C did, though.

[QUOTE=JLee at 01-23-2011, 08:53 AM]Does nVidia sign your paycheck or what? WTF.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Jon`C at 01-24-2011, 12:38 AM]Does Taser sign your paycheck or what? WTF.[/QUOTE]

Anyway, thanks Darth, Whelley & Tibby.
woot!
2011-01-23, 11:27 PM #26
Nevermind, I thought it came after. In any case the point is that threads are not your own private little discussion where you get to say what goes and what doesn't. Topics stray, and in this case it was constructive. Live with it.
2011-01-23, 11:34 PM #27
Nevermind, I thought it came after. In any case the point is that threads are not your own private little discussion where you get to say what goes and what doesn't. Topics stray, and in this case it was constructive. Live with it.

I realize that, but on most forums there's a semblance of courtesy in which threads tend to stay on the original topic. I keep forgetting that this is Massassi so it doesn't matter.

It's also not your job to play minimod, but you don't see me running around lecturing you about that, do you?
woot!
2011-01-23, 11:41 PM #28
I realize that, but on most forums there's a semblance of courtesy in which threads tend to stay on the original topic. I keep forgetting that this is Massassi so it doesn't matter.

That's right. How dare you talk about eyefinity in this thread about TN monitors.
2011-01-23, 11:53 PM #29
That's right. How dare you talk about eyefinity in this thread about TN monitors.

Okay, Joncey.

For someone considering purchasing three monitors for use on a single computer, regardless of AMD/nVidia preference, is the difference between TN panels and IPS panels worthwhile when the primary focus is gaming and not photo editing?
woot!
2011-01-24, 12:08 AM #30
It's also not your job to play minimod, but you don't see me running around lecturing you about that, do you?

What? I am not minimodding. I am not making any assertions about anyone breaking any rules. I am however, making assertions about you acting like a child because MY THREAD DIDN'T GO EXACTLY MY WAY
2011-01-24, 12:11 AM #31
There's a lot more than one person acting like a child in this thread, lol.
2011-01-24, 4:01 AM #32
This thread is a reminder that a person can be both logically correct and an ******. I was going to post a Venn diagram that more clearly illustrates the intersection but then people might cry and I might get banned.

I apologize for my participation (both previously and currently) in taking the thread offtopic.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2011-01-24, 9:12 AM #33
CadetLee jumped the shark when he got that eye fixed. :argh:
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2011-01-24, 9:44 AM #34
So a question that may or may not rerail this thread: Do LCD tvs use IPS panels? I've noticed that my brother's LCD screen has a much wider viewing angle and the colors don't seem to change as I move up and down and side to side like the tn computer monitors seem to do.
2011-01-24, 9:50 AM #35
Originally posted by Brian:
So a question that may or may not rerail this thread: Do LCD tvs use IPS panels? I've noticed that my brother's LCD screen has a much wider viewing angle and the colors don't seem to change as I move up and down and side to side like the tn computer monitors seem to do.

A lot of good LCD TVs are IPS or PVA, so yes, there's a good chance your brother's TV is one or the other.
2011-01-24, 10:37 AM #36
Darth, have you looked at recent TN panels? I had a 2004 mid-range Dell TN film next to my Dell 2007FP IPS a few weeks ago and I was surprised at how decent it was by comparison. Not good but surprisingly not bad.
2011-01-24, 10:42 AM #37
I have two Dell 2009Ws in my office at work and one at home that I was using alongside a 2005FPW (IPS) for a while. They're definitely on the high end of TN panels I'd say, and the ones at work don't bother me too much because they're identical, but I still notice lots of color and viewing angle issues with them, especially when working on something that has a white background but also a very light shade of yellow for example (they tend to blend together).
2011-01-24, 10:59 AM #38
Interesting. I wonder if the panel I had was really TN. It didn't look like a VA type because it didn't have that weird purple tint at extreme angles, and the viewing angle wasn't good enough to be IPS. Maybe I'm just remembering it better than it really was.
2011-01-24, 11:02 AM #39
They're bettter than most TN monitors out there, and they're probably more than enough for most people (they're not cheap either, $230 I think is normal price on them). They just get on my nerves when I'm doing UI work where I actually care about colors.
2011-01-24, 1:58 PM #40
The Samsung panel I'm using now (SyncMaster 2333) seems to have pretty decent viewing angles - my laptop LCD is terrible..if you're off a bit it goes all wonky. For my purposes I would probably be best off sticking with decent TN stuff. IPS would be nice, but I'm not sure the additional input lag and cost would be worthwhile for what I do with them.
woot!

↑ Up to the top!