Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I was banned...
I was banned...
2011-01-24, 11:25 PM #1
... from World of Worcraft. For no reason. I thought it was a security issue.... you know, making me change and verify info to my account. I did that. Nothing. Still says 'Banned'. Apparently, I have traded IRL (in real-life) items for WoW currency, which I have NEVER done. wtf??? I've sent an e-mail to support, and they BETTER get it. I'm NOT paying for another account. This is BS.... I just started playing 4 weeks ago. There is no emoticon for my effin' rage right now.
"Staring into the wall does NOT count as benchmarking."

-Emon
2011-01-24, 11:34 PM #2
Well, at least you weren't a few years in with multiple high level characters! :P
woot!
2011-01-24, 11:48 PM #3
Well, you did play World of Warcraft, and that's a pretty steep sin.

-CoX fo lyfe yo!
2011-01-25, 1:14 AM #4
Quote:
I thought it was a security issue.... you know, making me change and verify info to my account. I did that.

I dont suppose you got an email from "noreply@blizzard.com" or something similar, saying that you need to verify changes, or verify ANYTHING... just by simply clicking a link to "battle.net" and "logging in," did you?
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2011-01-25, 1:20 AM #5
Oh god I like where this is going...
2011-01-25, 1:55 AM #6
[http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/1161028694_Js7bb-L.jpg]

o.0
2011-01-25, 4:37 AM #7
Originally posted by KOP_Snake:
I dont suppose you got an email from "noreply@blizzard.com" or something similar, saying that you need to verify changes, or verify ANYTHING... just by simply clicking a link to "battle.net" and "logging in," did you?

Yeah this was my first thought too, I think someone got scammed...
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2011-01-25, 5:17 AM #8
Yeah lightside, it sounds like hogwash to me. When you were asked to "change/verify" your account info, was it from an ingame whisper message from someone with a name liked "Bliizrdsupprt" or something like that?

Guess what? You got duped.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2011-01-25, 5:45 AM #9
Can't trust the emails either, especially if they give you a link to click on.

-
Also, are you actually banned? Or did you get an email saying so? Have you tried logging on?
2011-01-25, 5:46 AM #10
(he can't log in right now.. Servers are down for weekly maintenance)

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2011-01-25, 5:55 AM #11
as someone else who plays WoW....and is the GM of a guild (full of cern folks) you'd think people would be a little wiser on what they click...but no...3 days ago a member was hacked and took all they could from the guild bank, 4th time in the past year someone has been hacked.

Accounts get hacked, used for all sorts of in game trades and such and then blizz blocks it, email them and it'll get fixed and/or you just got scammed so probably best if ya change ya password on email AND wow.
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2011-01-25, 7:58 AM #12
Originally posted by lightside:
... from World of Worcraft. For no reason. I thought it was a security issue.... you know, making me change and verify info to my account. I did that. Nothing. Still says 'Banned'. Apparently, I have traded IRL (in real-life) items for WoW currency, which I have NEVER done. wtf??? I've sent an e-mail to support, and they BETTER get it. I'm NOT paying for another account. This is BS.... I just started playing 4 weeks ago. There is no emoticon for my effin' rage right now.

I got one of those just a few weeks ago. I did not click the button. So far my account is just fine. That email is a total line.

In related news, this totally cracks me up!
http://www.wowscams.com/
A guide you can buy which will tell you about how to avoid WoW scams. :D
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2011-01-25, 8:23 AM #13
I was banned... from World of Worcraft.

Consider this a blessing and move on with your life.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2011-01-25, 8:34 AM #14
If you can't figure out how to avoid scams, I suggest you start using that Blizzard Authenticator thing. It was made for people just like you!
2011-01-25, 10:29 AM #15
No, I didn't follow any in-game instructions from a dupe. It started when I tried to login. Well, it said my account was wonky and some other technical stuff. I thought, oh, well maybe I just need to add more time. I went to the site to add more time, and it won't let me. My account status says 'Banned' :rant:

-Emon
2011-01-25, 10:55 AM #16
Originally posted by poley:
as someone else who plays WoW....and is the GM of a guild (full of cern folks) you'd think people would be a little wiser on what they click...but no...3 days ago a member was hacked and took all they could from the guild bank, 4th time in the past year someone has been hacked.

Accounts get hacked, used for all sorts of in game trades and such and then blizz blocks it, email them and it'll get fixed and/or you just got scammed so probably best if ya change ya password on email AND wow.

Officers in my guild are required to have an authenticator. They're the only ones with access to the valuable tabs.
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2011-01-25, 11:01 AM #17
I've also heard that sometimes addons have keyloggers embedded in them, so that's also a possibility.
2011-01-25, 3:42 PM #18
that stinks. i was hacked a few months ago, and they got all the valuable stuff from my bank and my guild bank. they fixed it within a week, and thats when i got my authenticator.
I'm proud of my life and the things that I have done, proud of myself and the loner I've become.
2011-01-25, 3:46 PM #19
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
If you can't figure out how to avoid scams, I suggest you start using that Blizzard Authenticator thing. It was made for people just like you!

There's talk that they might make it mandatory and shipping the dongle with the next expansion.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2011-01-25, 5:30 PM #20
Originally posted by Dormouse:
In related news, this totally cracks me up!
http://www.wowscams.com/
A guide you can buy which will tell you about how to avoid WoW scams. :D

This sounds like a scam to me.
2011-01-25, 5:54 PM #21
That being the point of Dormouse's post
2011-01-25, 6:49 PM #22
Wowscams is not a scam. It's a joke. To be a scam, you have to actually be able to buy the product.
2011-01-25, 8:23 PM #23

I'd just like to point out, using an Authenticator does not imply that one cannot be trusted with avoiding scams. Andrea, for example, did not ever go to any websites to "verify" her account info. She did use anti-virus software. She still got hacked. Afterwords we both got authenticators just to be safe. They cost like 4 dollars or something, so they're hardly a waste of money.

2011-01-25, 8:30 PM #24
Originally posted by JM:
Wowscams is not a scam. It's a joke. To be a scam, you have to actually be able to buy the product.

Hence why my reaction was amusement and not cheeto-fingered nerdrage.
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2011-01-25, 9:54 PM #25
Even if it were real, it's still simply amusing, not something I'd nerdrage over (and I can't eat cheetos)
2011-01-25, 10:56 PM #26

be glad. wow is a time sink and it is a bad game. if you enjoy pvp, try league of legends. if you enjoy pve, try any of the effing rpg video games made in the past 15 years
2011-01-26, 5:05 AM #27
my other half at the moment plays WoW and although she hasn't been hacked, they have tried to brute force her password a few times as she has logged on to find her account locked because of failed login attempts,

somehow her email has got onto the list of WoW players and in the past 6 months she's had her account blocked 4-5 times, luckily for her she has a totally random password.

Interestingly, the battle.net password system blizzard uses is not case sensitive, so make sure you stick some numbers and/or random letters, capitals won't get you anywhere...at least that's the case for login through WoW at least.
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2011-01-26, 5:23 AM #28
yeah I actually played wow for a good year and a half before I realized my password was *not* case sensitive... It's ok.. I have numbers, letters and special characters.

2011-01-26, 5:23 AM #29
Interestingly, the battle.net password system blizzard uses is not case sensitive, so make sure you stick some numbers and/or random letters, capitals won't get you anywhere...at least that's the case for login through WoW at least.

what? ahahahahahahahahahahahaha, oh blizzard.
2011-01-26, 6:13 AM #30

Wow... That is sad.
2011-01-26, 7:10 AM #31
It's not so bad! Your password only needs to be twice as long for the same security!

Here's the scary part though guys: do they just make the password lowercase on the client side, or does this mean they wrote their own hashing and auth algorithms?
2011-01-26, 7:49 AM #32
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
I'd just like to point out, using an Authenticator does not imply that one cannot be trusted with avoiding scams. Andrea, for example, did not ever go to any websites to "verify" her account info. She did use anti-virus software. She still got hacked. Afterwords we both got authenticators just to be safe. They cost like 4 dollars or something, so they're hardly a waste of money.

So what you're saying is she used a password 3 letters long.
2011-01-26, 7:59 AM #33
My password is "password"

No one has figured this out yet :psyduck:
2011-01-26, 8:04 AM #34
Originally posted by Jay:
My password is "password"

No one has figured this out yet :psyduck:

No one WANTS your account.
2011-01-26, 8:08 AM #35
True, I was only a level 70 Druid with no time on his hands back when I played
2011-01-26, 8:52 AM #36
Yeah, did the account recovery thing. Worked. Was up and playing in 5 hours.

Oh, and Cool Matty, you're a dick.

-Emon
2011-01-26, 9:04 AM #37
So what you're saying is she used a password 3 letters long.

Nope, I made sure she had a strong password, just like I did (see my earlier post to see).

2011-01-26, 10:13 AM #38
Originally posted by Jon`C:
It's not so bad! Your password only needs to be twice as long for the same security!

Here's the scary part though guys: do they just make the password lowercase on the client side, or does this mean they wrote their own hashing and auth algorithms?

Guess what guys?

http://warcraft-guidez.com/wow-security-issues.php

Quote:
the password itself uses a custom salted hash format that is impossible to reverse back to your password if someone picks it up over the network.

:suicide:
2011-01-26, 10:16 AM #39
:carl:
2011-01-26, 10:16 AM #40
I like liked the part about them selling the authenticator separately.. lol
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"

↑ Up to the top!