Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Guitarists!
Guitarists!
2011-01-25, 1:26 PM #1
So, to all you massassian guitarists out there, one question:

Do you Djent?

I have a rather constant love affair with this particular style of metal.
2011-01-25, 1:29 PM #2
Absolutely
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2011-01-25, 1:35 PM #3
Nope.
"Hello one day ban." ~ Baconfish
>Liberius when he's not on Massassi<
2011-01-25, 1:39 PM #4
Never heard of it, but i looked it up and it sounds pretty cool. I'm pretty against the idea of such a specific "genre" of music though. It's like "hey check it out, all our songs sound exactly the same, and also, all our songs sound exactly the same as everyone else's songs".
Warhead[97]
2011-01-25, 2:11 PM #5
If I'm listening to metal and there isn't any DJENT, it's not metal and I'm not listening to it.
2011-01-25, 2:18 PM #6
No, I don't metal.
nope.
2011-01-25, 2:19 PM #7
Zanardi, which bands do you like most?

Also bob,
I agree, I'm not really into how all bands in this genre are beginning to sound the same, but those that are radically different definitely catch my ear. I like the idea of fully utilizing 7-8 string guitars, and creating unique poly-rhythms, instead of just "chug chug chug, doooooom, chug chug chug". It definitely takes talent to play this style, rather then your 12 year old neighbor posting The Devil Wears Prada covers on Youtube. I usually try to intermix this with other styles of metal.
2011-01-25, 2:25 PM #8
I don't play guitar, but after listening to some "djent" songs on youtube, it sounds to me like someone cut out the low end and turned the gain on the hi-mid's really high, then palm muting right in the middle of the note. This may be my musical ignorance speaking, but... big deal?
2011-01-25, 2:50 PM #9
Well thats the tone of it, theres a lot more to the actual style of the subgenre, to quote a fellow from urbandicitonary:

Quote:
Djent is used to describe a certain kind of guitar tone characterized by medium-high gain, a quick-release noise gate to emphasize staccato playing, a cut of most bass below 200Hz for a tight low end, a slight boost around 800hz for clarity, and a noticeable boost around 1.6Khz to emphasize pick attack. When a two-octave power chord is palm-muted with this tone, a "djent" sound is created rather than the typical chunkier sound.

Djent also refers to repeated staccato playing of the lowest-pitch string on a detuned 6 string or 7 string guitar with a powerful attack such that the string goes very slightly sharp upon the pick's release from the string. Lower-gauge strings are used to facilitate this.

Djent tone is many times created using a Line 6 amp modeling product such as the Pod series or the Axe-Fx. When possible, an amp model such as the Big Bottom or Modern High Gain on these devices is used in conjunction with a modeled Tube Screamer in front. Engl and Mesa amplifiers are typically used when tube amplification is preferred.

Djent is widely acknowledged to have come first from Meshuggah, but Misha 'Bulb' Mansoor has arguably popularized the sound. Djent's typical uses give rise to a "genre" of djent that is characterized by hi-fi compressed production, polyrhythmic/staccato distorted riffs and ambient clean passages which make liberal use of 9 and other "jazzy" chords. Electronica influences such as glitchy percussion and synthesizers are also incorporated.
2011-01-25, 3:09 PM #10
I listen to about every sub genre of metal out there as well as play guitar.. But I've never heard this term djent... Can I get some examples of some bands?
2011-01-25, 3:32 PM #11
Originally posted by x25064:
Zanardi, which bands do you like most?

I was exaggerating a little bit, but of course Meshuggah, and I really like TesseracT. I'm more into bands like divine heresy, devildriver, machine head, and chimaira. (There is some Djent there)
2011-01-25, 3:36 PM #12
I like real metal. With soaring vocals and staccato harmonizing guitars. Like Dio. He invented metal. Or at least the devil horns hand symbol. And that's ****ing metal.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2011-01-25, 3:52 PM #13
I don't play metal but I can dig on this sometimes.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2011-01-25, 4:05 PM #14
Originally posted by Yecti:
I like real metal. With soaring vocals and staccato harmonizing guitars. Like Dio. He invented metal. Or at least the devil horns hand symbol. And that's ****ing metal.

Hey don't get me wrong, I listen to the classics as much as I do the new stuff.
2011-01-25, 4:13 PM #15
I like bands like devildriver and chimaira.. But generally im more of a powermetal fanatic myself
2011-01-25, 5:32 PM #16
you lost me at 'djent'
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2011-01-25, 5:33 PM #17
Originally posted by Yecti:

Marry me
2011-01-25, 6:14 PM #18
Djent? Listened to it... that's not metal...

THIS is metal.

666, The Number of the Beast.
664, The Bloke Next Door.
Matt Bonner, The Lebron Killer
2011-01-25, 6:24 PM #19
No, THIS is metal.

nope.
2011-01-25, 6:39 PM #20
Originally posted by Baconfish:
No, THIS is metal.

It's got more flavor than Djent lol, this is hillarious :neckbeard:

Eddie bless your soul.
2011-01-25, 6:40 PM #21
I ****ing hate how many subgenres there are. I realize not all metal sounds the same, but djent? What the hell does that even mean. Note this complaint doesn't apply to just metal. I came across "folktronica" before. x_x
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2011-01-25, 9:32 PM #22
Originally posted by Fett 316:
Djent? Listened to it... that's not metal...

THIS is metal.

no this is

o.0
2011-01-26, 2:05 AM #23
For those wondering what "Djent" is/means, please refer to my previously quoted post for everything you need to know concerning this subgenre.

Here's some examples of "Djent" in different styles:

After the Burial and Animals as Leaders are my favorites of that bunch by a clear mile, I'd suggest checking both of them out.

Enjoy!

Also not getting into the classic rock vs modern metal crap, just listen for what it is. If your stuck in 30 years ago then thats cool.
2011-01-26, 2:23 AM #24
Originally posted by x25064:
Also not getting into the classic rock vs modern metal crap, just listen for what it is. If your stuck in 30 years ago then thats cool.

I reckon you can do a little better than that. Saying each to their own but then throwing in a beneath the belt remark about being stuck in the past? Still, you did better than most.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2011-01-26, 2:28 AM #25
I'm just saying as a musician I always look forward to the new and exciting. In all music, but especially metal, I get so god damn sick of people discrediting anything new if its not priest, maiden, or metallica. Music does change and evolve, you either listen to records from 30+ years ago and poo-poo on everything new and innovative, or you respect the classics and find enjoyment in new evolving styles of music. Its not like the bands I posted are talentless or anything, to each his own but I'm not going to argue "real" metal and all that stupid bs.

For example:
I love my SNES, but that doesn't mean xbox 360 isn't friggen awesome. And a 360 is still a "real" video game system enjoyed by millions.
2011-01-26, 6:02 AM #26
no.. THIS is metal \m/

2011-01-26, 6:26 AM #27
Anyone here play drums? We should start a massassi metal band.
2011-01-26, 8:17 AM #28
I do. 15 years now.
2011-01-26, 9:55 AM #29
Can you record with your kit? And do you have double kickers?

I really want to get a set of electric drums just for practicing at home.
2011-01-26, 2:00 PM #30
Yes and yes :P . I pretty much play all genres but I am best with jazz fusion, Latin, technical metal, and gospel.
2011-01-26, 2:51 PM #31
Originally posted by zanardi:
Anyone here play drums? We should start a massassi metal band.

I would be ok with this. I play bass lol

↑ Up to the top!