Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Hell and Back Again
Hell and Back Again
2011-01-26, 8:44 PM #1
http://vimeo.com/6995256

If any of you sick ****s like to watch combat footage, this is some of the most beautiful looking footage of actual combat in the history of ever.

Included also is a fairly neutral look at the social and political issues on the ground in Afghanistan, and a vignette of an entertaining Marine Corps Sergeant.

I saw it at Sundance earlier tonight and it was pretty good. Not the best movie ever, but pretty good and beautifully shot regardless.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2011-01-26, 9:13 PM #2
At the very end is that the guy (we presumably can't see) crying in pain from the IED?
2011-01-26, 9:21 PM #3
I think so. Nearby, one of their Afghan National Army soldiers got peppered in the face.

Immediately after that scene, we discover that it was an IED set off by another ANA soldier, whose body was thrown into the adjacent field. They put the pieces of his body on a stretcher and put him in a vehicle.

It's really surreal to see footage that immediate. On one hand, you think there's no reason someone should be filming this, but it's quite obviously real. There is no way a film production crew of any size or talent could get all of those details right.

The film was shot buy one guy, Danfung Dennis, with a Canon 5d MkII on a glidecam. It looks very cinematic and doesn't have the handheld look we're accustomed to, adding to the surreal feeling. He also had a more advanced audio setup than the onboard mic, which in my (not unqualified) opinion made the sound almost entirely accurate.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2011-01-26, 11:30 PM #4
Wow. That looks like an incredibly intense film. I honestly don't know if I could sit through that.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob

↑ Up to the top!