Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → netflix
netflix
2011-01-30, 2:31 PM #1
So I just signed up for Netflix, and I've got a question concerning streaming. I know several of you are heavy Netflix users so what better way to get help? :P

So i am streaming it through my Panasonic blu-ray player, now i was under the impression that streaming meant you could browse and select what you wanted to watch through the Netflix "app" on the player, but mine says i need to fill up my instant queue. Does this mean that I cannot use my player in the same way that ps3 users can stream Netflix?

Sorry if this comes off as a totally stupid question, I'm new to all of this and would rather not deal with clueless Indian customer support.
2011-01-30, 2:42 PM #2
My brother has a Samsung Blu-Ray player that does the same thing. You have to fill up your Instant Queue on your computer (or any other mobile device with access to Netflix). You can't browse Netflix like on a PS3, XBox, AppleTV, Roku, etc.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2011-01-30, 3:20 PM #3
Don't know about your Panasonic player but I can browse instant movies on my LG Blu-ray player. Not sure if I can add to or edit my instant queue on it. I generally use my 360 to access instant streaming on Netflix.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2011-01-30, 3:22 PM #4
Oh, and look for firmware updates. Many features, in general, were added to the internet features of my player by downloading updates.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2011-01-30, 3:39 PM #5
Most Blu-ray players can only show you your instant queue, not allow you to openly search.
2011-01-30, 3:54 PM #6
My LG BD570 has a ton of different genres to browse, along with the instant queue. They can be added to the queue from the bluray player. No search function though.

o.0
2011-01-30, 7:00 PM #7
That's the same LG player I have. Netflix seems fine on it although 360 seems "snappier".

2011-01-30, 7:01 PM #8
I thought the game console apps (Wii, PS3, Xbox360) allow you to search a good portion of the netflix content right from the device now.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2011-01-30, 7:07 PM #9
They do, at least the 360 has a decent search feature. Last time I used it I noticed I could add to the "DVD Queue" as well. I recently heard on the radio that Netflix was removing that feature from platforms other than PC to, essentially, discourage use of the by mail service and encourage online streaming. I haven't used the search feature since I heard that so I don't know if that's the case on the 360. I don't really care whether it is or not.

2011-01-30, 7:40 PM #10
Use my PS3 for netflix constantly. Its awesome. Great search feature and everything. And if they remove the platform from the consoles, I will probably cancel.
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2011-01-30, 7:53 PM #11
So far, I'm getting irritated..

Why are new movies not available for streaming? If they are truely trying to discourage customers from the by mail service, this is not a good way to go about doing so.
2011-01-30, 8:11 PM #12
Why? Because movie companies want you to buy the movie. Trust me, if Netflix could do so, they'd have every movie the day it came out, if not earlier. But the movie companies refuse.
2011-01-30, 8:17 PM #13
I just have my tv hooked up to my computer through an hdmi cable. we browse and stream instantly. works fine.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2011-01-30, 8:36 PM #14
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Why? Because movie companies want you to buy the movie. Trust me, if Netflix could do so, they'd have every movie the day it came out, if not earlier. But the movie companies refuse.

I can get them mailed but not streamed. It doesn't make any sense.
2011-01-30, 8:36 PM #15
I've only ever seen problems with Netflix on my ex's 360. It would randomly increase the quality to HD and the sound would stop working. Haven't seen it since though.
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2011-01-30, 8:41 PM #16
Originally posted by x25064:

Retailers get physical copies and netflix buys a few, if netflix was allowed to stream at the same time retailers get their first units it would cut profits.
2011-01-30, 9:01 PM #17

Oh, careful. They're trying to stop mailing as well. A lot of movie companies enforce a 30-90 day delay on new releases even on DVD.

Yes, it is stupid.
2011-01-30, 9:18 PM #18
Wow so now that I have time to sit down and try this out its pretty lame. I don't know why everyone is hyping up streaming because I can't find anything I want to watch, even older titles. I am already considering cancelling.
2011-01-30, 9:23 PM #19
It doesn't matter, you don't have time to watch movies anyway. You need to PRACTISE THEM BEBOPS
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2011-01-30, 9:57 PM #20
?
2011-01-30, 10:18 PM #21
It's long been known Netflix's streaming needs more material. I wouldn't have Netflix just for streaming.

It does have a large selection of MST3K on demand though >.>
2011-01-30, 10:59 PM #22
Wow so now that I have time to sit down and try this out its pretty lame. I don't know why everyone is hyping up streaming because I can't find anything I want to watch, even older titles. I am already considering cancelling.

Most of the reason we "can't find anything to watch" is because we discriminate against the selection using irrational and undefinable arbitrary criteria as we skim the available content. It's silly how many incredibly enjoyable films I've finally settled on watching after not finding some old (or recent and probably mediocre) film I had some nostalgic sense to watch.

Netflix is a good service. Select discs, stream content, and quit complaining. Netflix complainers are an annoying group of people. Sure, your platform is one of the weaker for streaming but in combination with a PC you have little to complain about. And it's still light years beyond what we had to do a couple years ago to watch instantly.

Originally posted by Outlaw Torn:
Use my PS3 for netflix constantly. Its awesome. Great search feature and everything. And if they remove the platform from the consoles, I will probably cancel.

I doubt Netflix will remove support from consoles. What would make you think they might?

2011-01-31, 7:26 AM #23
I love netflix streaming. I subscribe to their new on streaming rss feed and whenever I see something I like I add it to my instant queue. We have something like 180 movies in our instant queue. I definitely use it differently than my dvd instant queue though. I don't look for specific movies to watch, rather, I browse what's there and pick something. There hasn't been a time I've been unable to find something interesting to watch. I also use the PS3 and Roku and both let us browse/search.
2011-01-31, 7:30 AM #24

Do you not like any good TV shows? Are you truly that lame? :gonk:

Doctor Who. Torchwood. Stargate SG1. Stargate Atlantis. Pushing Daisies. Sanctuary. Better Off Ted. Arrested Development. Dr. Horrible's Singalong Blog. Firefly. Farscape.

And that's just off my 'watched' list.
woot!
2011-01-31, 10:33 AM #25
Originally posted by Wookie06:
Most of the reason we "can't find anything to watch" is because we discriminate against the selection using irrational and undefinable arbitrary criteria as we skim the available content. It's silly how many incredibly enjoyable films I've finally settled on watching after not finding some old (or recent and probably mediocre) film I had some nostalgic sense to watch.

Netflix is a good service. Select discs, stream content, and quit complaining. Netflix complainers are an annoying group of people. Sure, your platform is one of the weaker for streaming but in combination with a PC you have little to complain about. And it's still light years beyond what we had to do a couple years ago to watch instantly.

I doubt Netflix will remove support from consoles. What would make you think they might?

Looking for newand old movies that I enjoy is certianly not "irrational" and "arbitrary", your logic is flawed.

Example #1 - The Town. New movie I'd like to see, not avaliable.
Example #2 - The Mummy. Older movie, not avaliable.
Example #3- Star Wars. Really Netflix?
Example #4 - American Beauty. Oh for Christ's sake this is a classic.

Irrational my ass. Sorry if I am not entertained by a bunch of B-movies available for streaming :rolleyes:

Originally posted by JLee:
Do you not like any good TV shows? Are you truly that lame? :gonk:

Doctor Who. Torchwood. Stargate SG1. Stargate Atlantis. Pushing Daisies. Sanctuary. Better Off Ted. Arrested Development. Dr. Horrible's Singalong Blog. Firefly. Farscape.

And that's just off my 'watched' list.

I like all of those TV series, but if I wanted to just stream TV, then I should be paying 5.99 a month, not $9.99. Its just irritating, especially since I used to work at blockbuster and every customer would go in this 'OMG STRAMIN IS TEH BEAST EVARRRR!!!11!11!" rant. Which clearly was overhyped bull****.
2011-01-31, 10:46 AM #26
Tell it to the greedy movie companies.
2011-01-31, 10:49 AM #27
Well I guess I jsut went in with too high of expectations after all my friends ranted and raved about how awesome the streaming was.. its really not.

I get the whole new movies not being out problem.. as stupid as that is, but older movies and classics not being available? I mean what the hell.
2011-01-31, 10:53 AM #28
I think you're too picky. I've had netflix for 3 years, and have never been unable to find something good to watch. Sure, not everything I want is there, but it's hardly worth complaining about. We all know new movies don't stream - that would hurt DVD sales. For other films, it's not netflix fault, it's the move companies. They often have rights problems with digital distribution - something that wasn't even fantasy in 1948.
2011-01-31, 10:56 AM #29
I think the streaming selection is poor as well, and I wouldn't have Netflix just for streaming, but that said, MST3K MAN. MST3K.
2011-01-31, 10:59 AM #30
?

I seem to think you're a musician. Do you not play the BEBOPS?
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2011-01-31, 2:28 PM #31
Looking for newand old movies that I enjoy is certianly not "irrational" and "arbitrary", your logic is flawed.

Example #1 - The Town. New movie I'd like to see, not avaliable.
Example #2 - The Mummy. Older movie, not avaliable.
Example #3- Star Wars. Really Netflix?
Example #4 - American Beauty. Oh for Christ's sake this is a classic.

Irrational my ass. Sorry if I am not entertained by a bunch of B-movies available for streaming :rolleyes:

Fail at reading comprehension and prove my point at the same time. The irrational and arbitrary part comes into play for all the movies we simply skip by based upon some conclusion we draw from a thumbnail of a cover and a title while searching for movies that aren't available for streaming and that we've most likely already watched. Last night, for example, I had a perfectly enjoyable evening watching Balls Out: Gary the Tennis Coach, a type of film I would typically not bother with. Topped off with the premier episode of Spartacus Gods of the Arena. :awesome:

2011-01-31, 2:43 PM #32
Pretty gay night.
2011-01-31, 3:22 PM #33
Go tweak your Windows 98 virtual machine install and let the grown ups talk.

2011-01-31, 3:24 PM #34
Haha

Tibby tries so hard to be cool, but it just doesn't work
2011-01-31, 4:11 PM #35
I fakking love Spartacus.
2011-01-31, 4:11 PM #36
(does that make me gay, too?)
2011-01-31, 6:11 PM #37
I watched the entire first season in 2 days. I don't like the comic book-esque blood sequences but other than that it's pretty damn good. I easily gave it a 4/5 stars. That last episode was especially amazing.

I won't go so far as to say that Netflix is for everyone. However, it's definitely for me. It's rare that I'm so satisfied with a service. I have to totally agree with Wookie on this one. Every single person that I've heard complain about the streaming are people that search for particular titles. That's not how I search for movies. I tend to use the trailer feature as well as just browsing for things that sound interesting.
? :)
2011-01-31, 7:55 PM #38
Quote:
I have to totally agree with Wookie on this one.

:huh:
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2011-01-31, 9:18 PM #39
Quote:
I like all of those TV series, but if I wanted to just stream TV, then I should be paying 5.99 a month, not $9.99. Its just irritating, especially since I used to work at blockbuster and every customer would go in this 'OMG STRAMIN IS TEH BEAST EVARRRR!!!11!11!" rant. Which clearly was overhyped bull****.

Just streaming is $7.99/mo, not $9.99/mo.

There are plenty of movies available to stream..you may need to look through their selection until you find something you like, rather than going in for something specific and getting mad that they don't have it. ;)
woot!
2011-01-31, 9:33 PM #40
My point is that we don't really do well looking for something we like because we tend to exclude the vast majority of titles because they are unfamiliar to us. To me a good way of finding something to watch is just to look at the star rating first, then see if the genre is one I'm in the mood for, and then review the details to see if it reveals something that puts me off. If it doesn't then I'll give it a shot and I'm usually not disappointed. New releases I just put in the DVD Queue. I don't get the drama. Of course the instant selection can be improved and it is all the time. Also, Netflix's instant licenses for specific titles can expire. Just because it's not there now doesn't mean it hasn't already been or may sometime be. Except for Star Wars. I'm sure George will launch his own service to make sure we can view all of his movies that way he "originally" intended them to be viewed.

↑ Up to the top!