Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → And it all started here, 11 years ago.
And it all started here, 11 years ago.
2011-06-24, 4:03 PM #1
Well, I just completed my degree.

My final hand-in received 85%, 1st with merit, but overall i got 75%, graduated top of the class. :awesome:

Ruthy now has a 1st class honours degree in Interactive 2D & 3D Game Art.

[yes, sounds like a bullsh*t degree, but the drop out rate was 75%, and ive never worked so hard in my life]

And i have massassi to thank, and blame.
All because i started modding Jedi Knight 11 years ago, making a Stargate mod, which obviously never saw the light of day.

For those of you who followed its progress, its your fault i'm now going to stuck on my arse for the rest of my life in front of a computer.
Just kidding. that was gonna happen anyway. :downs:

But at least in the Game/Film industry I can use art to pay the bills.

Ive been told I should move to Canada. My course leader will keep me informed of the details of companies in Montreal/etc, but i gotta slug it out in England to begin with, or may just stay.

Ive already got a few freelance jobs, and an internship in nottingham.

So thanks to those who supported my mod work all those years ago, looks like it finally came to something :)

You can check out my progress on Devart here: http://ravanna7.deviantart.com/
ranges from about a year ago, when i started improving most.

Laters.

Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2011-06-24, 4:07 PM #2
good work, Ruthy! Way to wet it and get it!
2011-06-24, 4:45 PM #3
WHERE IS YOUR STARGATE MOD
2011-06-24, 4:45 PM #4
AND WHY IS THE REPLY BOX ALL ****ED UP NOW
2011-06-24, 4:45 PM #5
PS CONGRATULATONS
2011-06-24, 4:54 PM #6
Your work is phenominal. I'd expect to see that kind of work (on DA) in a AAA title. Keep it up and you won't have any trouble staying employed.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2011-06-24, 7:14 PM #7
Yeah. I always thought you could be easily employable even before the degree.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2011-06-24, 7:22 PM #8
Originally posted by Ruthven:
So thanks to those who supported my mod work all those years ago, looks like it finally came to something :)

We never had any doubt. Your work has always been top-notch.

Congrats on your degree, old friend. You certainly deserve it.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2011-06-24, 8:08 PM #9
in the image concepts 3 the guy on the left:

That looks an awful lot like the bryarr....

BTW, i would pay for whatever that tesla project is. the concepts alone have made me want it so...
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2011-06-24, 11:20 PM #10
Congrats, dude!

vedder's working on some games these days as well. And Sige got hired by LEC or something?

Oh well, I'm content with editing DX, I'll doubt I'll try anything after that since my skills have got pretty outdated! Not to mention I have dozens and dozens of games to play through so that should keep me busy for a few years. That is, if I don't get accepted into Uni this year (for something absolutely non-gaming related).
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2011-06-25, 1:58 AM #11
nice work! I think that sort of degree does have the potential to be worthless, because there can be a perception that they're really common (like art history and media studies)

But if there was a 75% drop out rate, and you came top of everyone that was left (push that final assignment grade!), then it does do what a degree is supposed to, which is distinguish you from other people that will be competing with for work.

So yeah, ignore the rambling (I'm hungover). Congratulations!!
<spe> maevie - proving dykes can't fly

<Dor> You're levelling up and gaining more polys!
2011-06-25, 10:15 AM #12
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

You have just fulfilled the total nerd fantasy! Sweet! :D

Now, we can all send you lists of what we want to be in our dream video game, and you can make it! :P
2011-06-25, 10:35 AM #13
*Hugz*
2011-06-25, 11:59 AM #14
Congratulations old friend, we should catch up on FB or Skype or something.

Can I finally delete the mirror of your SG1 teaser? ;)
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2011-06-25, 12:32 PM #15
Originally posted by JediKirby:

Can I finally delete the mirror of your SG1 teaser? ;)

lol yes, though i still have all sg1 stuff, was gonna send it to grismath for a laugh. If I could fit it into 2 gigs I would add it to dropbox for easy up/down load.
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2011-06-25, 12:37 PM #16
Originally posted by Ruthven:
lol yes, though i still have all sg1 stuff, was gonna send it to grismath for a laugh. If I could fit it into 2 gigs I would add it to dropbox for easy up/down load.

I'll set up an FTP for you on Massassi if you'd feel like letting anyone take a crack at it. No need to shrink it down.
2011-06-25, 3:07 PM #17
k, k, k, kongratulations mate!!!!
Spoting an error in post will result in a $100 reward.
Offer expires on 6/6/06. Valid one per customer, per day.

Rangi
2011-06-25, 4:31 PM #18
gratz Ruthy, some of these things can be a long old slog, ya work looks awesome, think that says it all.
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots

↑ Up to the top!