Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Win XP install help
Win XP install help
2011-06-26, 3:34 PM #1
Hey guys, got a strange issue with trying to install windows XP x64 on a computer that triscuit gave me. The computer has a SATA drive and it has an Intel DQ965GF motherboard. I went to the site and downloaded the drivers for the RAID setup so that I can load the driver via floppy to install Windows XP. The issue is when loading the drivers it gives me the error "iastor.sys is corrupted"

I made sure to download the x64 drivers off the website and when I downloaded them I formatted the floppy and extracted the contents directly to A:\

I keep getting the same error. If I try to use the 32 bit drivers it goes through but then I get a blue screen of death when it is about to install.

Any ideas on how to fix this?
(JKLE_Cougar) from JK MP Community
discord.me/jediknightdarkforces2
2011-06-26, 3:36 PM #2
Windows XP x64? Good luck getting drivers for anything to work.
2011-06-26, 3:38 PM #3
Well it had X64 on it before I formatted it.

Would I just be better off with 32 bit?
2011-06-26, 3:57 PM #4
I gave you a computer? Damn my memory is awful, I can't recall anything about it. My guess would be you dont even need the SATA/RAID driver- that you could probably set the SATA controller in BIOS to something like IDE/COMPATIBLE/LEGACY mode. Maybe something else is wrong which could explain the file corruption/blue screens.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2011-06-27, 2:31 AM #5
try another floppy
try an operating system that isn't a decade old
turn off raid
2011-06-27, 7:43 AM #6
Originally posted by Tibby:
try another floppy
try an operating system that isn't a decade old
turn off raid

I need at least one machine with XP on it. I already have a laptop with Vista, and I am building a new machine with 7 Professional.
I will try turning raid off in the bios tonight after work
2011-06-27, 7:44 AM #7
Every time I installed XP x64, it only lasted a couple weeks before I went back to 32bit
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2011-06-27, 9:19 AM #8
Why, why, why do you need XP? Windows 7 Compatability is actually quite good (but then again, perhaps I am biased :)).

Sorry, don't know how to play this video :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPnehDhGa14

If for some reason that doesn't work, you could always try hosting a VM on a Win7 or Win Server machine.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2011-06-27, 10:35 AM #9
Originally posted by Lord_Grismath:
Why, why, why do you need XP? Windows 7 Compatability is actually quite good (but then again, perhaps I am biased :)).

Sorry, don't know how to play this video :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPnehDhGa14

If for some reason that doesn't work, you could always try hosting a VM on a Win7 or Win Server machine.

well... I have been getting the urge to play X-Wing Alliance and Knights of the Old Republic again. From what I understand KotoR won't work on Windows 7. And I can probably get XWA to work on Win7 but its more work... LOL but at this point getting Windows to work on this machine is ending up to be a lot more work... sigh..
2011-06-27, 11:30 AM #10
I know rebuying games suck, but KOTOR is on Steam and that would work fine with Windows 7.
"I'm afraid of OC'ing my video card. You never know when Ogre Calling can go terribly wrong."
2011-06-27, 11:43 AM #11
You could download VMware player and install a virtual machine with XP if you need it so badly, virtual machine tech has improved by leaps and bounds over the last few years, and vmware player is the best one.
XWA and Kotor both work in a vm for me, JK does too.
2011-06-27, 2:21 PM #12
I haven't tried KotOR yet, but KotOR 2 works just fine on Windows 7 if you run it in compatibility mode.
2011-06-27, 4:09 PM #13
You could download VMware player and install a virtual machine with XP if you need it so badly, virtual machine tech has improved by leaps and bounds over the last few years, and vmware player is the best one.
XWA and Kotor both work in a vm for me, JK does too.

I can get JK to work no problem on 7 X64... KotoR has some weird exe issue. I tired it on my old computer before i dismantled it in preparation for my new computer I am building and came across no luck. I guess I could look harder. XWA I have ran into multiple issues trying to get it to work. Tried getting it to run on my Pentium 3 and it works, but for some reason it wont run in 3d mode even tho it has a GeForce 6800. It should be overkill for XWA but it wont work at all.. strange...
2011-06-27, 4:31 PM #14
XWA works pretty damn well, but you need to find the 64 bit installer and the xwahacker thing to make it run in 32 bit colour, and a font patch.
2011-06-27, 4:55 PM #15
XWA works pretty damn well, but you need to find the 64 bit installer and the xwahacker thing to make it run in 32 bit colour, and a font patch.

Yea I saw a thread for it on xwaupgrade.com, wish they would sticky some of that there though.

I decided to screw it and I slipstreamed a copy of XP 32 bit I had and now its installing. I really have no idea why it kept blue screening when I would use the floppy to install the drivers... I think triscuit pissed on this machine before he shipped it out to me as a cruel joke... lolol jk I love you tirz
2011-06-27, 5:33 PM #16
I thought you wanted a liquid cooled PC.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2011-06-27, 6:04 PM #17
They will probably run fine with patches or under VirtualBox.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2011-06-27, 7:02 PM #18
Not trying to hijack and didn't want to start a new thread, but would you guys install windows 7 on a laptop with a pentium M processor and a gig of ddr ram? Or just stick to winXP?
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2011-06-27, 7:46 PM #19
Originally posted by EAH_TRISCUIT:
I thought you wanted a liquid cooled PC.

LOL!!!

Originally posted by zanardi:
Not trying to hijack and didn't want to start a new thread, but would you guys install windows 7 on a laptop with a pentium M processor and a gig of ddr ram? Or just stick to winXP?

I would stick with XP, 7 would have a hard time running on that. You need AT LEAST 2 gigs of ram to run 7 smoothly
2011-06-28, 8:44 PM #20
Win 7 itself and maybe a browser will run okay on a gig of ram. Anything else will slow it to a crawl. Stick with XP.
2011-06-29, 9:49 AM #21
Originally posted by zanardi:

XP. Maybe tinyXP if you're at a premium for HD space.
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2011-06-29, 10:49 AM #22
If you feel like sperging for an hour you could us nLite to make a custom install, save a few hundreds megs of HDD space and a few megs of RAM.

↑ Up to the top!