Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Supreme Court rules violent video games are protected speech
Supreme Court rules violent video games are protected speech
2011-06-27, 11:58 AM #1
The case is Entertainment Merchants Association v. Brown, and it's here. I'll summarize briefly.

The decision was 7-2. Justice Scalia, writing for the majority, said the California law is an unconstitutional content-based regulation of protected First Amendment speech, as California has neither identified a compelling government objective and has not narrowly tailored its law to that objective. Justices Ginsburg, Kagan, Kennedy, and Sotomayor joined this opinion.

Justice Alito wrote a concurring opinion, agreeing that the law was invalid but disagreeing that keeping violent video games from minors was not a compelling government interest. Alito would have considered the possibility that a more narrowly written law would be constitutional. The Chief Justice joined this opinion.

Justice Thomas dissented, arguing that the speech at issue is not protected First Amendment speech because the First Amendment was not historically understood to provide an unqualified right to speak to minors without going through their parents.

Justice Breyer dissented separately, arguing that while violent video games are protected speech, California had in fact identified a compelling state interest and written a law narrowly tailored to protecting that interest.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2011-06-27, 12:03 PM #2
yeah, been hearing about this. Good news, I guess... but the particulars of it, I haven't heard... does striking down this law mean that the existing rating systems don't matter? Or is it that it's still in the hands of retailers to decide whether or not they sell M games to minors, just that the government can't dictate it?
2011-06-27, 12:07 PM #3
Good!
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2011-06-27, 12:17 PM #4
Originally posted by saberopus:
yeah, been hearing about this. Good news, I guess... but the particulars of it, I haven't heard... does striking down this law mean that the existing rating systems don't matter? Or is it that it's still in the hands of retailers to decide whether or not they sell M games to minors, just that the government can't dictate it?

Retailers can still decide whether to abide by the rating system. Buyers, of course, don't have any right to have a retailer sell them a game.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2011-06-27, 12:23 PM #5
i have to say i am completely fine with this ruling.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2011-06-27, 1:22 PM #6
First time I heard about this a while ago my opinion was "so? We have similar laws in the UK and they are fine", but I've since learned that none of your other media is viewed this way in the US so it seems hilariously short sighted to single out video games. If, like the UK, it was illegal to sell R rated films to minors then this would follow logically for games too. However, that's not the case for films as I understand it, so it shouldn't be for games either.

And when I say "films" I'm using that as shorthand for "pretty much all media".

Side note:

This works well in the UK, because the BBFC are not dicks. Things are not banned because one person on a board is against it.

↑ Up to the top!