Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Top Mom Got Off
Top Mom Got Off
2011-07-05, 1:59 PM #1
Though it sounds dirty, its rather disgusting. I wasn't really following this case closely, I actually think its crazy for them to pay soo much attention to it. This paula deen attorney lady dubbed this lady so: Top Mom.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/casey_anthony_trial/casey-anthony-guilty-murder-caylees-death/story?id=13987918
" I am the Lizard King, I can do anyhthing... "
2011-07-05, 2:15 PM #2
Wow.
幻術
2011-07-05, 2:17 PM #3
Yeah it takes me back to OJ
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2011-07-05, 3:20 PM #4
With the possible exception of those directly involved, I hate everyone who cared about this trial.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2011-07-05, 4:59 PM #5
Originally posted by Michael MacFarlane:
With the possible exception of those directly involved, I hate everyone who cared about this trial.

Seriously, wtf?

(insert race rant)
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2011-07-05, 6:02 PM #6
BTW, she calls her Tot Mom.

Also, I called it that she would get off. They had no decent evidence against her and the First Degree Murder charge they were going for was just too much because of it. They had no choice but to let her go.
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
2011-07-05, 6:43 PM #7
Nancy Grace is just absolutely ****ting bricks right now.
2011-07-05, 7:26 PM #8
Why the **** do we give attention to Florida.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2011-07-05, 8:23 PM #9

"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2011-07-05, 8:27 PM #10

Not particularly caring about this is one thing (I'm a member of that club) but hating people that do? There's something very wrong with you.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2011-07-05, 9:03 PM #11
Um? They're idiot voyeurs treating a real-life family's real-life suffering as reality TV and incentivizing the sort of sensationalistic media feeding frenzy that often makes it nearly impossible for defendants in high-profile cases to get fair trials.
2011-07-05, 9:18 PM #12
So anyone who has any kind of feeling about what happened (ie: cares) automatically falls into that category? Yeah I'm sticking with my previous statement.
2011-07-05, 9:37 PM #13
Originally posted by Deadman:
So anyone who has any kind of feeling about what happened (ie: cares)

Come on. You know better than this.

Edit: I'll clarify. If I'd meant "care" in that sense, it would encompass (for example) hating someone who simply felt sad that a little girl died, and that's absurd.
2011-07-05, 9:50 PM #14
Not really, had you said you hated the media or whatever for it, then I would've understood.
But your posts really seem to imply you also hate anyone that has any kind of strong feeling about it, anyone who has watched it, hating Darth_Xasthur for posting about it.
You're coming across psychotically pissed off at everyone and it boggles the mind.
2011-07-05, 9:58 PM #15
Well it is Darth_Xasthur
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2011-07-05, 10:18 PM #16
...So does this mean she's back on the market? She's hot and all, but I don't like chicks with baggage. OH WAIT
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2011-07-05, 10:52 PM #17
dbl
2011-07-05, 10:53 PM #18
Originally posted by Deadman:
Not really, had you said you hated the media or whatever for it, then I would've understood.
But your posts really seem to imply you also hate anyone that has any kind of strong feeling about it, anyone who has watched it, hating Darth_Xasthur for posting about it.
You're coming across psychotically pissed off at everyone and it boggles the mind.

Oh, you've got me all wrong. I hate Xasthur for other reasons.

Really though, sorry if I seemed to be painting with too broad a brush. (I'm interested to know if anyone else got that impression.) At the same time, it's not the media that's the appropriate target here. News coverage is ratings-driven; this trial was on TV because way too many people wanted it on TV, and that says nothing flattering about those people. The first time I really gave this case any thought was when I heard someone asking on the radio whether it was a good idea to let kids watch the coverage of the trial. I thought about it, and had to conclude that there was no good reason for <em>adults</em> to watch the trial. There's no redeeming value in nationwide, around-the-clock coverage of a trial that involves no public figures and serves mostly as an excuse for scolds like Nancy Grace to beat us all over the head with the brutal details of a child's murder.

I'm not saying everyone who caught some coverage of the trial is responsible. It was impossible to avoid here in the U.S. I honestly didn't even meant to include Xasthur, who said he didn't pay much attention. But I'm frustrated by the people who tuned in specifically to watch it, or who otherwise contributed to the buzz, because their appetite for a train wreck has real consequences.
2011-07-05, 11:02 PM #19
I thought you said it better the first time. This was a blatant case of media sensationalism making everyone who had no place to care think it had some effect on their lives.

This is just a more offensive version of the insane media circle jerk that was the Anthony Weiner scandal. The media (especially televised news) loves it when this sort of thing happens.

Also, I ****ing hate Nancy Grace. She's one of the worst ones. She tries to make you feel like if you're not as royally pissed off as she is about something, then you just don't love the Constitution, or you're too stupid to understand why everything is apparently a threat to the American way.
>>untie shoes
2011-07-05, 11:05 PM #20
Saying this chick didn't do it and that the media tainted her image is just stupid. All the evidence was stacked against her. Its just a modern day OJ Simpson trial, but its painfully obvious she killed her kid. I didn't need Nancy Grace to tell me that one. The fact that she got off is complete bull****.
2011-07-05, 11:43 PM #21
I'm definitely not saying she didn't do it. Hell, if you said she's more likely to have done it than not to have done it, I'd probably agree. But of course, that's not enough in a criminal case.

I certainly don't think the effect of the media can be discounted. Maybe it didn't make an innocent woman look guilty, but it certainly seems to have made a probably guilty woman look undeniably guilty. It's not so much that her image was tainted. It's just the "echo chamber" effect that you get when you have media outlets talking about "Casey's lies" and "damning evidence" and suchlike, often without context, and repeating these reports until there's an illusion of certainty that she'll be found guilty. I think that's got a lot to do with the outrage about this verdict. It's not that most viewers looked at the entirety of the evidence and were left with no doubt about her guilt. It's that they were told, day after day, that she was a liar and that the defense was grasping at straws.
2011-07-06, 12:03 AM #22
What made this chick all the more important than the rest of the terrible crimes committed across this nation with 300,000,000 people in it?
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2011-07-06, 12:03 AM #23
OBJECTION!

McLongname is making too much sense! I say he's OUT OF ORDER!

(EDIT: I'd also like to say that I believe both those who produce and consume media coverage are to blame in cases like this where the truth can be obstructed.)
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2011-07-06, 5:13 AM #24
This is just like OJ. Everyone assumes he did it. Everyone assumes she did it. But the jury says she didn't, so she didn't. It doesn't matter what you think anymore.
2011-07-06, 5:49 AM #25
I'm definitely not saying she didn't do it. Hell, if you said she's more likely to have done it than not to have done it, I'd probably agree. But of course, that's not enough in a criminal case.

I certainly don't think the effect of the media can be discounted. Maybe it didn't make an innocent woman look guilty, but it certainly seems to have made a probably guilty woman look undeniably guilty. It's not so much that her image was tainted. It's just the "echo chamber" effect that you get when you have media outlets talking about "Casey's lies" and "damning evidence" and suchlike, often without context, and repeating these reports until there's an illusion of certainty that she'll be found guilty. I think that's got a lot to do with the outrage about this verdict. It's not that most viewers looked at the entirety of the evidence and were left with no doubt about her guilt. It's that they were told, day after day, that she was a liar and that the defense was grasping at straws.

Ah! This makes sense now. Well said sir.

Also, its unfortunate that her journal entry couldn't be used as evidence in the case. That pretty much sealed the deal for me when I read the excerpt from that.
2011-07-06, 6:08 AM #26
Originally posted by JM:
This is just like OJ. Everyone assumes he did it. Everyone assumes she did it. But the jury says she didn't, so she didn't. It doesn't matter what you think anymore.

On the plus side now she can write a book and then get arrested in 15 years for stealing her own merchandise back.

[I had never heard a single thing about this news story whatsoever until my twitter feed exploded sometime last night with annoyed people.]
nope.
2011-07-06, 9:28 AM #27
Oh, you've got me all wrong. I hate Xasthur for other reasons.

(dont do that)
With the possible exception of those directly involved, I hate everyone who didn't give a **** about this trial. (And lives somewhere not controlled by the US government)

The OJ, parallels are understandable. Especially when the defendants doom was seemingly so imminent. The difference is white people are not going to still be attempting to throw her in jail for tax fraud 10 years later.

I for one was more appalled by the fact that after her kids death she bought "a six pack and a push up bra" and went out to get plowed. Sickening. SHe literally sluted it up afterwords and facebook documented it for us. I thought that alone would be a sure ticket to the death sentence (wishful thinking). The best curse she can receive is for everyman to **** her thus forth has a vivid image of her dead child burned into their retina..

The other thing that pissed me off was the defense using her partying as an excuse. They said young people always use drinking and partying to grieve now. That's bull****. That's the behavior of a drunk or a drug addict. you don't immerse yourself in booze to overcome a problem or greife, you have to deal with it like a human.

This trial just made me hate america (collectively) more than I do already.
2011-07-06, 9:53 AM #28
Yeah, they pegged you pretty accurately in the beginning of this thread. If you can't read your last post and see why this disturbs some of us, you really need to gain some perspective. You just judged a whole nation of people because of one publicized case. Scapegoats are easy targets, low hanging fruit, for people who want to generalize and feel better about their own isolated lives.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2011-07-06, 10:14 AM #29
Im glad Xasthur has such a professional understanding of the law.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2011-07-06, 10:36 AM #30
And yeah because Americans are the only people in the world who get drunk when something bad happens. Americans are the only people in the world who do any of these things, right?
>>untie shoes
2011-07-06, 11:28 AM #31
One sentence about american and everyone ****s themselves.

I suppose I should have explained myself better. I hate the American system in correlation to what people get away with. I was not generalizing everyone in american and then saying i was better than them. The only person im attacking is the mother. And by all accounts, until I kill (accidentally or otherwise) a child, I believe i have a right to at least be upset by this entire situation.

I hate america for what we promote and what we let people get away with. The statement about drinking was not related. I just think that the generalization about "young" people is bull****. I like to think that most of us would not fall into that category.
2011-07-06, 11:38 AM #32
You're not Mexican?
nope.
2011-07-06, 11:56 AM #33
Well your automatically raciest for asking but, Im ethnically 1/2 Mexican (but an unknown precentage of that is also Native American), just like im ethnically Cathloic. I don't follow it, but I cannot help what I am.

I was born in america, have only lived here and know remotely no Spanish. I don't know my real dad well, having not seen him in many years, and have no connection or contact with any of that side of my "family", for lack of a better word. The other half of my ancestry is 1/4 German and 1/4 polish, which I do embrace.

So when they ask you what you are, you raise your head high and say,"American"

2011-07-06, 12:55 PM #34
Originally posted by Darth_Xasthur:
Well your automatically raciest for asking but

No I'm not, I genuinely thought you were Mexican. Also, Mexican isn't a race.

Quote:
Im ethnically 1/2 Mexican (but an unknown precentage of that is also Native American), just like im ethnically Cathloic.

So you're half Mexican, half Irish? :P
nope.
2011-07-06, 12:58 PM #35
Catholicism isn't an ethnicity.
2011-07-06, 12:59 PM #36
I suppose I should have explained myself better. I hate the American system in correlation to what people get away with. I was not generalizing everyone in american and then saying i was better than them. The only person im attacking is the mother. And by all accounts, until I kill (accidentally or otherwise) a child, I believe i have a right to at least be upset by this entire situation.

It's 'innocent until proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt.' Just because you're some self proclaimed expert on the case doesn't mean you have any say in the outcome. Also heres a fitting quote from reddit:

Quote:
My lawyer friend once told me that the test for reasonable doubt is so very high because the court would rather let 1000 guilty men go than sentence 1 innocent man.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2011-07-06, 1:03 PM #37
I hate america for what we promote and what we let people get away with.

Trial by jury and presumption of innocence are key aspects of any good judicial system. It is the prosecution's responsibility to establish, beyond a reasonable doubt, that the defendent is guilty. In this case, they failed to do that. This is exactly how the justice system should work. Better to let a thousand guilty men free than to falsely imprison one innocent.

I like to think that most of us would not fall into that category.

No, you fall into your own, special category. One that is far beyond full retard.
2011-07-06, 1:13 PM #38
Originally posted by Emon:
Catholicism isn't an ethnicity.
You clearly haven't been to Dublin. :P
nope.
2011-07-06, 1:35 PM #39
Xasthur, what you're trying to do here is to substitute your own judgment for that of the twelve jurors who heard every peace of evidence, saw the testimony of the witnesses firsthand, and were mostly insulated from the media circus. You are, in every possible way, less qualified than the jury to decide whether Anthony was guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

I'd add that there are plenty of other countries where young women are executed for slutting it up, if that's what you'd prefer.
2011-07-06, 2:41 PM #40
In the media, everyone is guilty. There is no presumption of innocence, there is no concern for evidence. That is problem here, not that this woman 'got away with something', but that she was condemned without due process. The outrage at the verdict is because people do not want to admit that they condemned an innocent woman. It is easier for them to project their outrage onto her; she is an easy target; than to look at themselves. They can't be wrong, so the system must be wrong.

↑ Up to the top!