Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Health Update
Health Update
2011-07-20, 5:13 PM #1
I thought I'd post an update on my health and what I've found out. As some may remember, I posted a thread a month ago about being sick. I've now finally found out what's wrong with me.

I went to a surgeon a little over a week ago, and he sent me to have an ultrasound done on my gallbladder. I had the ultrasound on Thursday morning and got the results this afternoon. I have gallstones, and I will having surgery in early August to remove my gallbladder. After that, I'll just have to worry about healing up and should be be better a few weeks after the surgery. Hopefully all will go well and I'll be back to pretty much normal in a little over a month.
2011-07-20, 5:33 PM #2
I had to have mine taken out several years ago. I didn't have stones, though. (heh) My GB would squeeze (to get the bile out) and continue to squeeze and squeeze and squeeze and wouldn't stop. Felt like someone had shoved a knife into me and was standing there twisting the knife. Totally unbearable pain - enough to bring tears. The docs in the ER would finally give me morphine and admit me into the hospital. The next morning the pain would be gone. After doing that a couple of times, they decided to do more tests and that's when they figured out my GB was wonky.
Anyway, the surgery goes fast, and the recovery is fast too. I was up playing a gig the weekend following the surgery (but I sat on a stool the whole time). I'm sure your surgery will go just fine and you'll be up and at 'em in no time.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2011-07-20, 6:37 PM #3
Glad it's turning out to be a CUT AND DRY case.

That was a pun.

Because of the surgery.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2011-07-20, 7:13 PM #4
People can survive without a gall bladder? Damn.
2011-07-20, 7:54 PM #5
Originally posted by ragna:

I've known a lot of people who've had to have them taken out.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2011-07-20, 8:16 PM #6
VibezzzzZZZZzzZZZZzZz
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2011-07-20, 8:18 PM #7
Yep, most people can survive just fine without a gallbladder. Some people, including my grandmother and aunt, among others, say they felt much better after having it removed. I'm not too concerned about surgery. It should be pretty easy, and it definitely has to be better than living in misery for months.
2011-07-20, 9:34 PM #8
I agree with everything said so far. :) Best of Luck!

I was back at work within a week. And as for life post-surgery honestly I can't even tell a difference. Supposedly some people have problems with high fat foods. I eat pretty healthy now, but I wouldnt say things like fatty foods bother me anymore than they did previously.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2011-07-20, 9:34 PM #9
Originally posted by ragna:

I'm pretty sure it's a fairly common procedure.
>>untie shoes
2011-07-21, 12:52 AM #10
Good luck! :)
woot!
2011-07-21, 1:11 AM #11
I had mine taken out. It's totally nothing to worry about.
2011-07-21, 8:07 AM #12
i wish you good luck and a speedy recovery! :) you should ask if you can keep the stones...
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2011-07-21, 11:05 PM #13
Wait wait wait, this is a perfect opportunity.

I want you to jump as FAR as you possibly can before and after it gets removed. I want to see JUST HOW MUCH farther someone can jump after an internal organ is removed.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2011-07-22, 5:11 AM #14
Don't do it, happydud!
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2011-07-22, 5:56 AM #15
Originally posted by happydud:
Wait wait wait, this is a perfect opportunity.

I want you to jump as FAR as you possibly can before and after it gets removed. I want to see JUST HOW MUCH farther someone can jump after an internal organ is removed.
Do it! For Science!
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2011-07-22, 6:31 AM #16
Do it! For torn sutures!
2011-07-22, 7:09 AM #17
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Do it! For torn sutures!

I don't think the after has to be right after...
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2011-07-23, 1:45 PM #18
Excellent news, Zecks! Best luck to you.
2011-07-26, 3:23 AM #19
Your story inspired me to look up what a gallbladder actually does.

Good luck!
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2011-07-27, 8:18 PM #20
Thanks to everyone for the vibes/good wishes so far. I'm about 5 days out from surgery (it's being done next Tuesday morning). I'm not really dreading it, especially since it's already been 5 months since this all started. I have some pre-surgery stuff to take care of at the hospital Friday morning, but other than that, it's all good to go. My mom and brother will be here Monday evening and will be staying until sometime Wednesday morning as long as I'm doing alright. I've already got time off work taken care of, and everything's been scheduled. Right now, I'm just concerned about post-surgery.

As for the jumping, no thanks. I don't jump very well to begin with, so I'm definitely the wrong person to do so. Plus, it's not like the gallbladder weighs that much, anyway. Not enough to make a difference.
2011-07-28, 4:28 AM #21
Fair warning: my roommate had his gallbladder taken out, and now he farts uncontrollably. And stinkily.
2011-07-28, 4:46 AM #22
Is it wrong that I've got a mental image of a guy zooming about a living room with his butt sounding like a jetski?
nope.
2011-07-28, 7:05 AM #23
Originally posted by Baconfish:
Is it wrong that I've got a mental image of a guy zooming about a living room with his butt sounding like a jetski?

Quite the opposite! It's very right!
2011-07-29, 8:37 PM #24
Good luck!
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2011-07-29, 9:29 PM #25
my 86 year old grandma had the same thing and just got hers removed a few weeks ago. shes still on pain meds since shes so old, but shes doing alot better. so good luck with your surgery.
I'm proud of my life and the things that I have done, proud of myself and the loner I've become.
2011-07-29, 10:58 PM #26
Originally posted by Baconfish:

Wouldn't be the first time!

http://buttracinggp.ytmnd.com/
2011-07-30, 10:51 AM #27
[QUOTE=Zecks;1140228

As for the jumping, no thanks. I don't jump very well to begin with, so I'm definitely the wrong person to do so. Plus, it's not like the gallbladder weighs that much, anyway. Not enough to make a difference.[/QUOTE]

Everything makes a difference.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2011-07-31, 6:51 AM #28
In 48 hours, I'll be at the hospital, getting ready for surgery and all that. The surgery itself is set for 10:45. I'm hoping that I'll come out of it not feeling too terrible, but I know I'll have at least two or three hours after before I'll be able to leave and come back to my apartment. So I guess I need them good Massassi vibes. I'm quite looking forward to feeling normal and eating good things again.
2011-07-31, 7:06 AM #29
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Wouldn't be the first time!

http://buttracinggp.ytmnd.com/

I was thinking more floating about a foot off the ground with his butt behind him like a jet engine.
nope.
2011-07-31, 7:13 AM #30
Best of luck - keep us updated! :)
woot!
2011-08-02, 5:29 AM #31
I only have about an hour before it's time to head to the hospital. Vibes, please!
2011-08-02, 4:00 PM #32
Well, I'm still alive. I was discharged from the hospital about 3:30 this afternoon, which isn't bad considering I didn't have surgery until an hour after I was actually scheduled. I'm hurting tonight and feeling a bit sick, but I think I can manage. Hopefully here in a few days I'll be in a lot better shape.
2011-08-02, 5:04 PM #33
:neckbeard:
nope.
2011-08-02, 6:00 PM #34
It's crazy how a human can survive after excising a whole internal organ. Damn.
2011-08-02, 6:10 PM #35
How many other organs can a person live without, excluding the appendix? I'm guessing scrotum and other sexual organs?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2011-08-03, 2:25 AM #36
Anything you have two of, pretty much. You can lose a kidney and you can lose a lung. You can also lose parts of your liver.

The human body is surprisingly adept at being alive.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2011-08-03, 9:49 AM #37
Now that I'm feeling a bit better than yesterday, I thought I'd describe things in a little more detail. I was scheduled for surgery at 10:45 yesterday morning, but as is typical, they were running behind by a good bit. It was about 12:15 when they came and pushed my bed back to surgery. I waited a few minutes as they got things ready, then they pushed me into the operating room. They were getting things set up around me when they put an oxygen mask on me. That was the last thing I remember before I was waking up after surgery. I spent probably 30-40 minutes in recovery before I went back to outpatient. All in all, they were pretty surprised by how well I was doing, although when they sat me up, I did get to feeling pretty sick. It was about 3:30 when they discharged me, and I came back to my apartment.

I have 4 incisions - one in my belly button, one below my sternum, and two more above where my gallbladder was. I'm pretty sore, as is to be expected, but I've been able to get up and move around some. I managed to eat some chicken and noodles last night, and I've had part of a donut and some bacon this morning. I have a feeling that by the weekend, I'll be feeling pretty decent.
2011-08-03, 12:50 PM #38
glad to hear you are recovery well! :) i have to admit i am a little horrified at the idea of an incision IN your belly button though!
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2011-08-04, 7:05 PM #39
Tell people the scars are from a fight you got in with a swordfish
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2011-08-05, 10:51 AM #40
Hey Zecks were you the guy working on remaking JK for Jedi Academy or was that Zell? I get you two mixed up all the time.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY

↑ Up to the top!