Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Lion
Lion
2011-07-20, 11:54 PM #1
Anyone got it yet?

I put it on my MBA 13" today and so far it's kind of sluggish and making the thing heat up and fans spin like crazy. Hopefully it's just reindexing **** or something.

I don't like the new gestures mreh (or rather the decreased ability to customize gestures)
一个大西瓜
2011-07-21, 12:04 AM #2
JESUS CHRIST IT'S A
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2011-07-21, 1:21 AM #3
I'm going through a sort of Richard Stallman phase at the moment (not the one where I eat my own feet) & haven't even taken my iMac out of the box since moving to Paris. I'm sure it'll pass & I'll end up forking over my hard-earned & updating but I typically like to wait until the guinea pigs tell me it's safe & that the kinks are worked out before ****ing around with a new OS (even if it's just an update).
? :)
2011-07-21, 1:43 AM #4
The animations are choppy as ****. Otherwise it's decent so far.
一个大西瓜
2011-07-21, 4:48 AM #5
It's a bit choppy on my MBP 13", I love the new Mail app though. I reckon I'll get used to the inverted scrolling after a few days (I'm going to try to get used to it at least). I also really like how full screen apps get their own space which you can 3-finger swipe between.
2011-07-21, 8:16 AM #6
Pommy, I'm finding your results absolutely fascinating. I am running Lion on my MBA 11.6, 4GB and I am experiencing no sluggishness whatsoever. All the animations are super smooth, and all my gestures are working beautifully (although I will use BetterTouchTool to customize further). In fact, safari is running so well on my machine that I havent been using Chrome on it. Did you do an upgrade, and also, how much RAM does your MbA have? I never do an upgrade of an OS, so maybe my fresh install is making the difference? Although I've been running GM for almost 3 weeks now, so clutter has accumulated and it is still running great.I think the Launchpad gesture could be redone, I used to be terrible, but I'm getting better at it now. I really love Mission Control now, I'm not sure why that dude from Gizmodo was getting all up in arms about it. It's Expose + allows you to see your spaces at the top as well. And I still point out Expose as the sole reason that I continue to love OSX.
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2011-07-21, 11:05 AM #7
My choppiness has gone now - it was probably spotlight's re-indexing that ate my CPU. That and doing several software updates, and backing up <_<

I still struggle with scrolling though :(
2011-07-21, 12:24 PM #8
My Macbook ran awful initially. Spotlight indexing certainly contributed to it. Honestly, the experience reminded me of Vista way back when it first came out. Vista would spend forever trying to index the drives, and devour performance doing so. Same deal here.

However, it's running a bit better now after indexing and a couple reboots. Not fantastic, but a bit better. My battery life is abysmal though.

Also, there's a lot of stupidity with Lion:

1. The new scrollbars look awful in 95% of applications and defeat the purpose.
2. The new scrolling method is not natural and Apple needs to be hung for this. Thankfully it's possible to change it back. And yes, they seriously call this method "natural".
3. Launchpad is idiotic. I am glad it's not forced upon me. Seriously, a whole page is taken up with just random Adobe crap. Why did they think this was a good idea? The whole point of the UI on the iPad is to allow easy finger poking access. This is obviously not a problem on a laptop.
4. They broke spaces in a way that it will no longer loop from the end to the beginning. There is no fathomable reason for this change other than to annoy the piss out of me.

Edit: Also forgot, CoreAudio is a piece of crap. Sits there using CPU even when no music is playing, and it actually lags during high CPU situations. Why in the world, in this day and age, can an OS not manage CPU well enough to keep music from skipping?
2011-07-21, 1:13 PM #9
Don't see any real reason to buy it for my old MBP that rarely gets used any more.
2011-07-21, 1:49 PM #10
CM are you serious, I've never used a mac, but i was forced to use a pentium 3 running 98SE for a week a while ago, and I was able to do **** without music skipping.
2011-07-21, 2:34 PM #11
CM - Does the dock show running applications by default? I heard it doesnt. Also does dropbox work for you?
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2011-07-21, 3:34 PM #12
Originally posted by mb:
CM - Does the dock show running applications by default? I heard it doesnt. Also does dropbox work for you?

http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/iuy1h/no_apple_this_isnt_innovative/

System Preferences -> Dock -> Check or Uncheck "Show indicator lights for open applications
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2011-07-21, 3:37 PM #13
Yeah, but is that disabled by default?
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2011-07-21, 3:39 PM #14
Sounds like they're going for the record for "OS with most **** I have to turn on/off after installing it."
2011-07-21, 3:42 PM #15
it sounds like its a hit or miss default. which is weird.
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2011-07-21, 4:27 PM #16
Originally posted by mb:
Yeah, but is that disabled by default?

From what I read it is, but I can't remember, as the first thing I did when I installed Lion was change all the settings.

Basically, the reasoning is that a "running" application is sort of a misnomer now. Lion will keep a process in memory even if you quit, so it can launch it almost immediately, a la iOS. It also does a lot of fancy suspend/resume stuff with applications now, especially ones that implement the advanced features.

If you really want a very detailed review, Ars Technica's review is EXTREMELY lengthy and comprehensive on Lion (14 pages worth).
2011-07-21, 8:29 PM #17
For me dock indicator lights were on by default.

@buck I did an upgrade install.

Most of the choppiness I feel like is graphical (scrolling on webpages, panning between spaces, etc). It's not freezing or lagging, it's just that the framerate is really low. Like the graphics card is underclocked and forgetting to clock up or something (that happened with Spaces in SL on some iMacs). Maybe nVidia just needs to release new drivers for Lion.

The other thing is fans randomly start spinning up and I could swear it's finished Spotlight indexing. Activity monitor shows like 8% cpu usage but it's still really hot / loud for some reason. Even though nothing's using the CPU. huh.

I've gotten used to mission control and reverse scrolling now and it's fine for me. It's just the choppiness/heat/loudness that's detracting from the experience.
一个大西瓜
2011-07-21, 9:47 PM #18
Now it looks like the framerate problem comes and goes but it's just draining battery like a mofo

Lost like 20% in 30 minutes and I wasn't doing anything. I think Mail is having a fit with my Gmail..
一个大西瓜
2011-07-21, 11:28 PM #19
When are they gonna wise up and call the OS on the Ipad "housecat" and the one on the iphone "kitten"
>>untie shoes
2011-07-22, 3:30 AM #20
Is there any way to make Mail not download all of your messages from Gmail? I have like probably 70K+ emails and the cache has eaten up like 6 or 7 gigs already. Isn't there a way to have it just download headers and not the content of every single message? I'm using IMAP.

Nvm figured it out to a degree -- just changed Gmail settings to limit IMAP folder size to 1000 messages.
一个大西瓜
2011-07-24, 2:53 AM #21
So after a few days -- I like it a lot lot better.

Still has sorta worse battery life vs. before but now it's a lot smoother and fun to use. I also actually switched to Safari :o Just because I really like the iPad-like scroll/zoom experience and the forward/back functionality.
一个大西瓜
2011-07-24, 6:57 AM #22
The forward/backward functionality works in Firefox as well (and has since like, 3.5), and if you use BetterTouchTools you can make it work in anything at all. I absolutely cannot STAND the zoom functionality, as I always end up accidentally zooming, requiring me to go reset it with a keyboard shortcut. I specifically disable zoom for that reason. Frankly, I think Safari is pretty awful as far as features go. Both Chrome and Firefox are better off.
2011-07-24, 10:25 AM #23
But Chrome won't work in fullscreen, and doesn't have the swishy gestures yet. I've switched back to safari for the most part, but once Chrome gets up to date I'll be switching right back.

I'll give FF a whirl tonight and see if it copes for GIGGLES.
2011-07-24, 11:05 AM #24
Get BetterTouchTools. Seriously. I've been using it since far before Lion was around. It has a lot of benefits:

1. It works more accurately than Lion's own gestures for most functions.
2. It allows global gestures as well as specific gestures for each application.
3. It supports MANY gestures, not just the limited ones Lion does. 1-5 fingers, any direction, tapping corners, tap and hold, etc etc. It also does not interfere with Lion gestures if you do not want it to.
4. It's extremely fast, easy to use, and lets you perform nearly any command (keyboard shortcuts, any F-function, Open apps/URLs, etc etc).
5. It also supports other things like gesture sensitivity, window snapping, etc.
6. It's freakin' free!

For instance, back on Snow Leopard, I had:

4-finger left/right to switch spaces.
4-finger down quits active application.
4-finger up opens new tab.
3-finger down refreshes tab.
3-finger up closes current tab/document.
3-finger left/right went back/forward in anything.
Rotate left/right switches tabs left/right.

It was brilliant, and basically meant that I could browse the internet with just my hand on the touchpad.
2011-07-24, 11:46 AM #25
[LEFT]While I don't use BetterTouchTools currently, it is an awesome awesome app. I did have a trouble with some of the gestures though, like cycling through tabs by putting one finger down and tapping on the side to cycle in the direction you want to.

But it is awesome. I've seen people who invest pretty heavily into it, and they literally are just like flying around their screen with gestures, it's pretty amazing. [/LEFT]
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2011-07-24, 12:01 PM #26
Matty: I do use bettertouchtools and have been using it since SL (incidentally, to swipe between spaces like lion lets you do...haha). When I say forward/back I mean the "swishy" animation Martin noted, which only safari has so far. I use three finger back/forth (the system forward/back gesture in SL) to ctrl+tab and ctrl+shift+tab in safari and two fingers to swishy fwd back.Tbh I still and always have used chrome opera safari and ff simultaneously it just used to be that chrome was my default. I honestly like the safari experience better than chrome in lion so I switched it to my default. I value little ux candy like bouncy scrolling, zoom (which actually I wish was EASIER to activate... There's always a quarter second delay) and swishy back/forward more than extra features/functionality, which I've found I don't use regularly and I have when I need anyway cuz I use like 4 browsers simultaneously
一个大西瓜
2011-07-24, 12:13 PM #27
Animations? Sounds like a waste of time to me :P
2011-07-25, 12:07 AM #28
Some of us dandies like the swishy :P

I'll give that Better Touch Tools a run when I get a chance - it sounds rather clever.

↑ Up to the top!