Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Cowboys & Aliens.....& mediocricity
Cowboys & Aliens.....& mediocricity
2011-07-30, 5:56 PM #1
This has to be the second most disappointing movie this year after Sucker Punch for me. Much like Sucker Punch, it has some great concepts going around that would make the movie entertaining, but the execution just wasn't there. I mean how can you go wrong with a western/sci-fi mash up? Trigun and Firefly turned out great.

Cowboys & Aliens' tone was too serious with its tone and it tried to bit off more than it can chew. I think what hurt the movie the most was the script and not so much Jon Favreau. Still Favreau is somewhat to blame because he tried to make the movie more like some serious, epic adventure. If the tone was more along the lines of a cheesefest like Independence Day (which this movie feels like it tries to emulate at times) or something along the lines of Iron Man's flippant tones than it would have worked.

Instead we get characters that we just don't care about because of their poor development. This hurts the action scenes overall even if they can be entertaining. Ella's character felt more like a plot device than an actual character. Heck, character interactions just didn't really exist between some of them. For some reason, I felt like a lot of the riders ignored her and Emmet (kid). Jake never says anything to the kid. Heck, no one really gave the girl and the kid much attention aside from one sarcastic remark by the preacher. Ideally I would devote a hell of a lot more screen time towards Ford and Craig interacting with each other since they're the most interesting characters.

Finally we have the aliens. Their motivation for attacking is mentioned in one sentence and no further elaboration is put on. Heck, the characters even joke about the aliens' motivation. I don't mind their designs too much, but...why do the aliens feel the need to roar so much? For such an advanced species, it just seems primitive and savage-like.

SPOILERS

I still don't completely understand what type of alien Ella is. She can shapeshift and is resistant to fire?

What was up with the adopted Native American son of Woodrow suddenly sticking up for him? All of a sudden it seems like we're suppose to care and think that Ford's character is a good man through a quick monologue despite being quite the jerk throughout the whole film (I'm not sure what to think of his "be a man" speech to Emmett).

Craig's character felt like he should have gone through a big arc where he becomes a better man from his past deeds, but it never felt like it was realized. Sure he saved the town folks, but it felt like there was some internal conflict that was left untouched.

Was there really anything else to Sam Rockwell's character other than learning to shoot a rifle and to appreciate his wife?

Why do the aliens need the gold so much even though it's rare on their planet?

END SPOILERS

TLDR:
Watching Cowboys & Aliens for me was like hanging out with some role model who I looked up to as a kid, but only to find out he's different from how he portrays himself (in a bad way) in the public.

Watching Sucker Punch for me was like going on a date with this cute blonde I have a crush on for such a long time, but only to find out that she lacks gravitas and cries when she realizes that I'm disappointed.

5.5/10
2011-07-30, 6:06 PM #2
Originally posted by Cloud:
I mean how can you go wrong with a western/sci-fi mash up? Trigun and Firefly turned out great.

As did Wild Wild West!
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2011-07-30, 7:15 PM #3
Counterpoint: I saw it today and it was badass.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2011-07-30, 7:25 PM #4
Originally posted by Michael MacFarlane:
Counterpoint: I saw it today and it was badass.

+1 except i saw it yesterday
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2011-07-30, 7:27 PM #5
I'm afraid to see it now..terrified now that it has been compared to the ****fest that is indepedence day
2011-07-30, 8:03 PM #6
I had to leave before the movie finished to go to work.

Didn't really care that I didn't get to finish the movie
2011-07-30, 10:09 PM #7
edit: CM, fix yo spoiler tags
2011-07-31, 3:00 AM #8
I went to see an action movie execting to see something shakespearian. My highly developed tastes have not been satiated.

Uhg, you even compared it to trigun. Trigun definately falls on the crap side of anime and japenese comic books.
2011-07-31, 11:08 AM #9
Originally posted by Cloud:
I still don't completely understand what type of alien Ella is. She can shapeshift and is resistant to fire?

That's what kind of alien she is. The kind that can shapeshift and is resistant to fire. What more could you possibly need to know?

Quote:
Why do the aliens need the gold so much even though it's rare on their planet?

Gold is valuable to them for the same reasons it's valuable to us: It's shiny and rare. The movie doesn't dwell on this because it's simple and intuitive.

I thought the movie's biggest fault was that there was a little less action than I expected. Taking time to overexplain points like these would have made it worse, not better.
2011-07-31, 8:16 PM #10
I don't know. I guess I thought overall Ella could have been developed better because she felt more like a plot device as oppose to being a character with more personality (compared to Peggy from Captain America). Okay so what are the aliens going to buy with the gold? I still say it's a bit of an underwhelming motivation to invade a place as oppose to Battle L.A. (though that was roughly the same as this in terms of enjoyment level).
2011-07-31, 8:36 PM #11
Goods. Services. They'll make jewelry. They'll use it as an electrical conductor. The same things we do with gold.
2011-07-31, 8:56 PM #12
If the aliens didn't say, themselves, that what they wanted was Gold, I wouldn't trust that to be their motive at all. Even if they did say it, the truth is, nobody wants Gold, and they were too far north for him anyway.
2011-07-31, 9:53 PM #13
Originally posted by JM:
If the aliens didn't say, themselves, that what they wanted was Gold, I wouldn't trust that to be their motive at all. Even if they did say it, the truth is, nobody wants Gold, and they were too far north for him anyway.

JM wins thread.
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2011-08-01, 7:32 AM #14
Originally posted by Couchman:
I'm afraid to see it now..terrified now that it has been compared to the ****fest that is indepedence day

TAKE IT BACK
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2011-08-01, 10:29 AM #15
Maybe its like that movie The Cat from Outer Space, and they need it to fix their space ship..
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2011-08-01, 3:53 PM #16
Really, the aliens in Independence Day had the right idea. You don't steal from the indigenous population. You kill them. And then take what you want. (Never mind the problems with Independence Day. See below..)

A) The aliens wouldn't do that. If they need ****, oh look, there's Saturn. Go mine the **** out of it. It's got a moon with oceans of liquid methane. WTF do you need a tiny rock like Earth for?
B) Somehow, Jeff Goldblum can write a virus for an alien computer system he's never even seen before? And the aliens don't have any firewalls or virus scanners or redundant systems of any kind?
C) Independence Day? What are we fighting for independence from? It's not independence day, it's not-getting-annihilated day.

↑ Up to the top!