Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Rise of the Planet of the Apes
2011-08-05, 3:27 PM #1
A great movie that washed away the disappointment by Cowboys & Aliens. Heck, a CGI monkey (playd by Andy Serkis) has more emotional depth than all the characters in that movie. The action scenes are surprisingly interesting to watch as well. How the apes will take over the planet also makes a lot of sense, which I won't spoil.

The only real issue I have is that Frieda Pinto's character (girl from Slumdog Millionaire) feels pointless aside from one minor thing she done. I guess she's there so that we can have a case of James Franco being a "not gay/Brokeback Monkey." The main antagonist is also a stereotypical "money, money, money" CEO type of guy, but I guess he serves his purpose.

7.5/10
2011-08-05, 4:31 PM #2
It's a sequel to a ****ty remake AND a remake of a ****ty sequel. How can it be any good?
2011-08-05, 4:58 PM #3
This is a reboot that is a new origin story. It's not connected to the Tim Burton remake or the originals (though references are made).
2011-08-05, 8:50 PM #4
It's definitely a reboot of the entire series and NOT a remake of any particular movie. It's relaunching the story of the original series at the very beginning, and it does a spectacular job on all accounts.
Completely Overrated Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comple...59732330769611
A community dedicated to discussing all things entertainment.
2011-08-05, 9:12 PM #5
Yeah I heard it is absolutely ****ing amazing.
>>untie shoes
2011-08-06, 4:56 AM #6
I still cant believe you expected cowboys and aliens to have a plot... The title tells you everything youre going to get.
2011-08-06, 5:17 AM #7
Quote:
It's relaunching the story of the original series at the very beginning, and it does a spectacular job on all accounts.
Yeah, see, the original depended on the twist ending, and now that everyone already knows it, it's just a dumb movie about talking apes. This 'reboot' is even worse. It doesn't even PRETEND there's some mystery. There's no chance at all for the twist that made the first one good.
2011-08-06, 6:26 AM #8
seems that trick can only be played once
2011-08-06, 6:28 AM #9
I remember they tried to incorporate a "twist" in the last remake with that monkey coming down with his pod thing, but that scene fell flat for me. I actually don't remember much from the remake because it didn't really capture the ...weirdness of humans trying to survive in a world full of taking apes.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2011-08-06, 1:38 PM #10
Originally posted by JM:
Yeah, see, the original depended on the twist ending, and now that everyone already knows it, it's just a dumb movie about talking apes. This 'reboot' is even worse. It doesn't even PRETEND there's some mystery. There's no chance at all for the twist that made the first one good.

Saying a film is bad when you haven't seen it makes you the worst kind of idiot. This movie is getting rave reviews, and everyone I know who has seen it says it's absolutely great. Probably the best in the series. Don't be such a judgmental prick. Give things a chance.
>>untie shoes
2011-08-06, 3:58 PM #11
The first one is great. Every single one made since then has sucked. Why would I give it a chance when I already have five times previously?
2011-08-06, 4:52 PM #12
You don't seem to realize that you're talking about separate things. Because of the fact that movies were released over ten years ago and you didn't like them means you wouldn't like one that is only related via subject matter. That's like saying if you ate a dish that was dog**** covered in cheese, then ate 4 more dishes that were **** covered in cheese, that if someone came to you with a plate that had a grilled cheese sandwich oh it, you'd turn it down because you've had cheese 4 times and you didn't like it.

I find it insanely contradictory that you have this kind of viewpoint and you're also a Libertarian.
>>untie shoes
2011-08-06, 8:12 PM #13
If the people serving me the dog****&cheese called it 'grilled cheese' each time, and then they gave me a grilled cheese sandwich and called it 'grilled cheese', I don't think I would believe them when they told me it was delicious.

Quote:
I find it insanely contradictory that you have this kind of viewpoint and you're also a Libertarian.

Two things. First, "Learning from experience" and "Libertarian" are not mutually exclusive mental states. Second, I'm not 'Libertarian'. I agree with the Libertarian party on some issues but I do not have a party affiliation.
2011-08-07, 8:41 AM #14
I mean, you could use the same viewpoint for the Rocky movies. The first one is great, and after that they kind of fall off. I mean, a few of the sequels are awesome in their own terrible way, but generally speaking they're pretty crap movies. But then Rocky Balboa came along, and it's probably the best film in the series. My point is, you can't be all judgmental like that, man. Everyone says the movie is great. Like I said, probably the best one yet. Give it a chance, dude.
>>untie shoes
2011-08-07, 8:48 AM #15

(With gratuituous Italian added in)
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2011-08-08, 3:32 PM #16
I had some (small) issues with the movie. But overall, I really enjoyed myself. (Edit: I guess spoiler tags don't work anymore?)

--SPOILERS--

Things like Caesar speaking were done very well, and didn't feel cheesy at all. Tom Felton's Charlton Heston lines from the original even worked well.

--/SPOILERS--
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2011-08-08, 5:59 PM #17
Quote:
I mean, you could use the same viewpoint for the Rocky movies. The first one is great, and after that they kind of fall off. I mean, a few of the sequels are awesome in their own terrible way, but generally speaking they're pretty crap movies. But then Rocky Balboa came along, and it's probably the best film in the series. My point is, you can't be all judgmental like that, man. Everyone says the movie is great. Like I said, probably the best one yet. Give it a chance, dude.
That's exactly why I didn't see Rocky Balboa in the theater.
2011-08-09, 3:09 PM #18
Guess JM never saw or wants to see Batman Begins/The Dark Knight either because of Batman Forever/Batman & Robin.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2011-08-09, 7:17 PM #19
Actually I saw Batman Begins on HBO (Showtime?) before Dark Knight came out, and then saw Dark Knight in IMAX. I'm sure this Apes movie will be on tv at some point and I'll probably see it then.
2011-08-10, 7:06 AM #20
Haven't seen the movie, but I wasn't too thrilled after watching the trailer. I mean, there are scenes of monkeys going against riot squads. Even if the monkeys are smart and organized and everything, how can they *possibly* beat well-equipped police with years of training behind them? Thought that was kind of dumb... But maybe it's explained in the movie. :) Cheers.
幻術
2011-08-10, 7:28 AM #21
[quote=Edited from another thread]I can fully see why the police are reluctant to just arrest them all, depending how hard they fight it would take between 2-6 people to arrest one ape and while they are doing that the other hundred apes would be lobbing bricks and attacking any officer with their back to them.[/quote]

My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2011-08-10, 11:04 AM #22
Originally posted by Koobie:
Haven't seen the movie, but I wasn't too thrilled after watching the trailer. I mean, there are scenes of monkeys going against riot squads. Even if the monkeys are smart and organized and everything, how can they *possibly* beat well-equipped police with years of training behind them? Thought that was kind of dumb... But maybe it's explained in the movie. :) Cheers.

I believe the trailer I saw said that the apes were actually technically smarter (or had the capacity for such or something), and let's not forget that the apes are also significantly stronger. I agree that the believability is still a little hard, but it's not hard enough to stop me from potentially enjoying the movie whenever I see it.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2011-08-10, 11:08 AM #23
That's what I was thinking, Geb. I mean, chimps have been known to tear off people's balls and or faces. I don't think riot gear gives a human a significant advantage.
>>untie shoes
2011-08-10, 4:00 PM #24
That's why you don't beat them with sticks while crouching behind plastic shields.

You shoot them.
2011-08-10, 8:45 PM #25
It was a fantastic movie, but I was hoping for more at the end, something on a more grand and apocalyptic scale (then again this is just the beginning). The little cliffhanger scene after the credits began rolling was a nice last minute surprise.

Originally posted by TimeWolfOfThePast:
Tom Felton's <spoiler> from the original even worked well.

I disagree... It took me off guard when I heard it and then I just kind of cringed. I didn't think he was worthy :\

↑ Up to the top!