Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Here's a video from Fox News
Here's a video from Fox News
2011-08-08, 4:00 PM #1
You'll enjoy it.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2011-08-08, 4:48 PM #2
Typical right-wing aggression.

JK.
Completely Overrated Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comple...59732330769611
A community dedicated to discussing all things entertainment.
2011-08-08, 5:15 PM #3
Did that dude really ask if men get maternity leave?

MATERNITY leave.
nope.
2011-08-08, 6:02 PM #4
We get paternity leave. We used to get a lot, or none, depending on your employer. Now we have a law that says they have to give you it, so everyone gets not enough.
2011-08-08, 6:04 PM #5
My point was that he apparently doesn't know the meaning of the word maternity.
nope.
2011-08-08, 6:24 PM #6
I see two people being annoying.
yay burgernews
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2011-08-08, 6:53 PM #7
BAHAHAHAHAHAHA... hoooo man that was great.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2011-08-08, 7:32 PM #8
That was phenomenal.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2011-08-08, 7:34 PM #9
I was waiting for her to talk about what she pushed out of where, and yes, she actually does deserve 3 months off for that.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2011-08-09, 12:18 AM #10
Europeans get like, a year. We get crap.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2011-08-09, 12:37 AM #11
I know in France it's a minimum of 16 weeks (more depending on whether or not you already have children, if you have twins+, or if there are complications). Maternity & paternity leave are available to everyone (regardless of occupation) that pays in to social security (this is where the money comes from except in cases where the employer is partially responsible). We had wanted to have our child in France but things didn't quite work out that way & we ended up having her in the U.S. where my wife only had 3 weeks off from work & a butt-load of medical bills after. Our health insurance company (United...more like Divided) agreed to pay for my wife's portion of the birth but refused to pay for the baby ($2000 that I don't intend to pay) despite our monthly premium being $800. I'm saddened that I have to agree with Meghan Kelley but the U.S. is in the dark ages & I'm happy to now be living in a country where medical debt isn't such a serious issue.
? :)
2011-08-09, 3:58 AM #12
AW SNAP
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2011-08-09, 4:59 AM #13
Quote:
in the U.S. where my wife only had 3 weeks off from work
Er yeah, she was entitled to twelve weeks, as per the FMLA. Don't blame the country if you don't know your rights.
2011-08-09, 5:37 AM #14
I read FMLA as "F*** My Life Aid".

Also, I can't ever manage to sit through one of these videos. They make me cringe so bad that I have to turn them off.
2011-08-09, 10:01 AM #15
Originally posted by JM:
Er yeah, she was entitled to twelve weeks, as per the FMLA. Don't blame the country if you don't know your rights.

I obviously know more about it than you do because you seem to think that FMLA covers everyone when it doesn't. My wife worked part-time for a small business, not full-time for a corporation with more than 50 employees. One of the ladies that she worked with had to return to work with only 1 week off because her husband had lost his job & she had a family of 3 depending on her. Even if these people were eligible for FMLA (their employer didn't offer any type of paid leave program), they wouldn't be paid during their leave, which isn't how it is in many European countries (e.g: France). Hell, you had to work there for 10 years to be eligible for a 2 week paid vacation.

Quote:
The FMLA defines an eligible employee as one who meets all three of the following criteria: (1) the employee has worked for the employer for at least 12 months (not necessarily consecutively); (2) the employee has worked for the employer for at least 1,250 hours in the previous consecutive 12-month period; and (3) the employee works at or is assigned to a worksite that has 50 or more employees or which is within 75 miles of worksites that taken together have a total of 50 or more employees.

In France she'd be eligible for such benefits immediately. As a non-citizen on a work Visa, even I'm eligible for said benefits after only 90 days of paying in to the social security program.
2011-08-09, 11:07 AM #16
Megyn Kelly had better be careful, or she's going to develop a reputation for being sensible.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2011-08-09, 12:29 PM #17
Considering that having a child is a choice, it would seem fair to allow maternity leave to be a benefit that is negotiated between an employee and an employers.
2011-08-09, 12:35 PM #18
a choice? really... did Mary have a choice when God knocked her up?!?!?!?!? i think not!!!
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2011-08-09, 12:37 PM #19
I like that one guys response, "One week was all I could stand" haha..
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2011-08-09, 1:40 PM #20
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
Considering that having a child is a choice, it would seem fair to allow maternity leave to be a benefit that is negotiated between an employee and an employers.

The primary purpose of parental leave is for the welfare of the child. It seems rather silly to leave decisions such as this up to an employer who is likely more interested in profit than in the welfare of said child. The people of this country have fought tooth & nail for these types of "rights" & the idea of going back to the way things were before 1978 (when the Pregnancy Discrimination Act was passed) is rather ridiculous.
2011-08-09, 2:43 PM #21
Originally posted by JM:

Yeah, really JM, it's like you've never held a job before.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2011-08-09, 2:43 PM #22
Ah, socialized paid vacation. Our equivalent would be social security and welfare, then.
2011-08-10, 12:08 AM #23
The money comes out of social security so I think it's probably just equivalent to your social security (except superior). I personally think that "national solidarity" is a worthy goal. The system here is "stressed" more by pensions than unemployment & dependency.
2011-08-10, 12:22 AM #24
I'd have thought it obvious that if women had to negotiate for maternity leave, they'd have a serious bargaining power problem.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2011-08-10, 12:23 AM #25
Considering that IQ and SES correlate strongly with parental SES, it would be wise for anybody who values the survival of their society to support any social program that rewards educated and productive middle-class workers for reproducing.
2011-08-10, 1:00 AM #26
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Considering that IQ and SES correlate strongly with parental SES, it would be wise for anybody who values the survival of their society to support any social program that rewards educated and productive middle-class workers for reproducing.

So should we not support it when the social program does not distinguish between "educated and productive" and "stupid and lazy"?
2011-08-10, 1:26 AM #27
Stupid and lazy people will breed with or without incentives.
2011-08-10, 1:59 AM #28
SES correlate[s] strongly with parental SES

I expect this to be changing very shortly.
2011-08-10, 3:25 AM #29
Middle class parents predictably producing working class children is still a correlation.
2011-08-10, 10:17 AM #30
Stupid and lazy people will breed with or without incentives.

So since the stupid and lazy don't need the incentive to breed, does that make the handout a completely wasteful freebee, a miraculously convenient safety net or is it just unbelievable collateral damage?
2011-08-10, 11:55 AM #31
Originally posted by Darth_Alran:
So since the stupid and lazy don't need the incentive to breed, does that make the handout a completely wasteful freebee, a miraculously convenient safety net or is it just unbelievable collateral damage?
Income-proportional paid parental leave funded by a proportional income deduction would provide a stronger incentive to the middle-class than it would to the working class. In this case, however, it's not so much "rewarding" middle class parents as it is "punishing" middle class workers who value their own career and/or plasma TV over long-term national stability.

↑ Up to the top!