Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Programs that run in the background that are for good causes
Programs that run in the background that are for good causes
2011-08-13, 9:40 PM #1
So I just realized that I had been meaning to download at least one of those programs that runs in the background when your system is idle or the like that does stuff like help search for aliens or cure cancer and such when I got a new computer. Well, I got a new computer some months ago, and now I realize that I actually don't know what's out there, how to look for them, or which ones are actually any good.

Help me out Massassi! Post some programs I should look into please!
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2011-08-13, 11:15 PM #2
Folding@Home is probably one of the best options. If you have a good video card, get the GPU version, as the GPU will do FAR more in the same amount of time.

Edit: just to mention this is used to find new proteins which help advance medicine in various areas.
2011-08-13, 11:25 PM #3
seti at home is rad too
2011-08-14, 1:05 AM #4
Try GIMPS if you want to help find large prime numbers.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2011-08-14, 2:18 PM #5
You're looking for distributed computing projects.
? :)
2011-08-14, 2:44 PM #6
I stopped using seti@home when the started using someone else's software.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2011-08-14, 2:55 PM #7
Originally posted by Tibby:
seti at home is rad too

I was almost going to post about how I heard SETI had lost their funding and wouldnt be getting new radio signals to decode but I figured I better google and double check my info first. Apparently they just got enough funding via private donations to use the Allen Radio Telescope Array for the rest of the year:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/13/setis-search-aliens-seti_n_926121.html

I think it's pretty awesome (no doubt some will read this and think wasteful) that even in these rough economic conditions people can still find money to donate to pure science.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2011-08-14, 10:35 PM #8
Originally posted by EAH_TRISCUIT:
Apparently they just got enough funding via private donations

Private donation by none other than Jodie Foster, from Contact.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2011-08-14, 11:41 PM #9
Originally posted by happydud:
Private donation by none other than Jodie Foster, from Contact.

Among others, yes.
2011-08-14, 11:46 PM #10
http://lhcathome.cern.ch/ LHC@Home!
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2011-08-15, 7:34 AM #11
I've never heard of stuff like this but it sounds very interesting!
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"

↑ Up to the top!