Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → 1. e4
1. e4
2011-08-15, 6:53 AM #1
Anyone into chess?
He said to them: "You examine the face of heaven and earth, but you have not come to know the one who is in your presence, and you do not know how to examine the present moment." - Gospel of Thomas
2011-08-15, 7:27 AM #2
I'm not proposing a forum correspondence game btw - which you (or me ;) will cheat on by using a computer), just wanna know if anyone likes to play chess.
He said to them: "You examine the face of heaven and earth, but you have not come to know the one who is in your presence, and you do not know how to examine the present moment." - Gospel of Thomas
2011-08-15, 7:34 AM #3
I do enjoy playing chess and have played it every since I was young, but for some reason I'm really bad at it.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2011-08-15, 7:57 AM #4
I'm more partial to checkers myself.

[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/Echoness101/chessboard1.png]

I see you made a bold move to start if off.

[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/Echoness101/chessboard2.png]

Well then I have to respond.

[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/Echoness101/chessboard3.png]
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2011-08-15, 8:17 AM #5
goddddddddddddd echoman why are you always the best
2011-08-15, 8:19 AM #6
That would be one interesting game
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2011-08-15, 8:25 AM #7
Until you realize that you can just sit your pieces on the white tiles and never get hit :P
2011-08-15, 12:26 PM #8
No matter, all it takes is determination! (but you are right though)
2011-08-15, 1:06 PM #9
i do like to play me some chess from time to time. not GREAT at it, but fairly decent.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2011-08-15, 4:14 PM #10
Use to play a lot, turned into one of the games my little brother made a point to become better than me.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2011-08-16, 12:02 AM #11
I prefer Othello/Reversi.
*imagining how that would pan out*

Hehe... each time I get a white chessman or a red checker piece between two black coins, he becomes a black chessman or checker piece and defects to my side. >:-D

This could get interesting. :]
2011-08-16, 6:48 PM #12
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Until you realize that you can just sit your pieces on the white tiles and never get hit :P
Unless you're the black biship... You kind of have no choice at that point.

Also... I figured you were refering to the chess pieces being on the white tiles because the checker pieces could easily get stomped on by most of the chess pieces (With the one exception being the white bishop which is useless in supposed game.)
"Hello one day ban." ~ Baconfish
>Liberius when he's not on Massassi<
2011-08-17, 6:40 PM #13
I guess I win by default!

Woo
2011-08-18, 7:38 AM #14
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
I guess I win by default!

Woo

Not so fast, pal.

1. e4 fe5
2. Shadow Pikachu

2011-08-18, 8:00 AM #15
I used to be a chess fan when I was little.. my interest recently became rekindled through watching Tal games (this one is good. http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1139363), now I'm hooked again on the good stuff.
2011-08-18, 8:07 AM #16
Shadow Pikachu???
2011-08-18, 9:22 AM #17
Originally posted by Tenshu2.0:
I used to be a chess fan when I was little.. my interest recently became rekindled through watching Tal games (this one is good. http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1139363), now I'm hooked again on the good stuff.
Um... How exactly did that end? I checked out the game and it ends on move 37, on a check. Did he surrender? Because, although I may be a bit rusty, I know it wasn't checkmate. He could easily have moved his king to e7 or e8...
"Hello one day ban." ~ Baconfish
>Liberius when he's not on Massassi<
2011-08-19, 1:41 AM #18
Originally posted by Liberius Vir:
Um... How exactly did that end? I checked out the game and it ends on move 37, on a check. Did he surrender? Because, although I may be a bit rusty, I know it wasn't checkmate. He could easily have moved his king to e7 or e8...

Grandmaster games rarely end in checkmate - they usually end, like this one, in one side acknowledging the other guy has a dominant position, continuation or material situation.

ie: Black is lost here.
If king goes to e8: queen takes g8 (check) - black king to row 7 - white rook takes black rook on f7 (check) - black king has to move to row 8 or 6 - white takes second black rook - etc... etc... this is lost for black, he should spare himself the pwnage and resign (which he did)

If king goes to e7: same situation, figure it out in your head a little, this is black's worst nightmare.

Said otherwise: this end position could be won by you our me against a chess master.
2011-08-19, 2:32 AM #19
Liberius Vir, if you wanna see an exotic mate, here's a quick one by a genius: http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1238130

↑ Up to the top!