Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → My computer thinks I am a Frenchman
My computer thinks I am a Frenchman
2011-08-22, 9:02 PM #1
Vista keeps setting French as the default language for my keyboard. When I change it back to English it automatically switches back to French after a few minutes, does anyone know what the deal is here.

Things I have already tried:

1. Hitting the computer

2. Kicking the computer

3. Screaming 'NO HABLA FRENCH' at the computer
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2011-08-22, 9:10 PM #2
Try gasoline and a match.
>>untie shoes
2011-08-22, 9:15 PM #3
Ecoute-moi mon ami. Prends l'ordinateur. Débranche-le. Montes la batissment la plus haute et jetes l'ordinateur. Regardes comme l'ordinateur laisse tomber.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2011-08-22, 9:38 PM #4
shout at your computer in german until it surrenders
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2011-08-22, 9:48 PM #5
Originally posted by dalf:
Ecoute-moi mon ami. Prends l'ordinateur. Débranche-le. Montes la batissment la plus haute et jetes l'ordinateur. Regardes comme l'ordinateur laisse tomber.

"Listen to me my friend. Something the computer. Something something. Something the something with the something and something the computer. Something something the computer something something."

To google we go!

Oh I see you're telling me to drop the computer from a dangerous height, thereby smashing it into tiny pieces. The computer will never speak French to me again.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2011-08-22, 11:59 PM #6
Originally posted by Tracer:
Vista keeps setting French as the default language for my keyboard. When I change it back to English it automatically switches back to French after a few minutes, does anyone know what the deal is here.

You're probably using a hotkey combination in an application that's probably the same combination that changes the keyboard layout. The following quote is from a forum where a guy was experiencing the same issue.

Quote:
...while checking the keyboard settings (right-click language bar > Settings > Advanced Key Settings > Change key sequence) I found that there are actually two settings: "Switch input language" (which I use = 'alt+tab') and "Switch keyboard layout", which is by default 'ctrl+shift'. I frequently use 'ctrl+shift+esc' for reaching Task Manager, and maybe that was causing problems..

I'm also assuming that French shows up in your language bar?
? :)
2011-08-23, 7:17 AM #7
Try windows 7. :carl:
2011-08-23, 7:32 AM #8
could a virus do this?

I've always imagined a virus that could disable the programming between the temperature control and the fan, and the fan would never go on causing your CPU to fry, that would be interesting

but I know nothing of programming...and you could smell it probably, the nose knows you know,, at least, my giant nose can smell it
2011-08-23, 7:40 AM #9
Originally posted by x25064:
Try windows 7. :carl:

Can't. :carl: :master::tfti::saddowns::downs::tinfoil::cool::suicide::argh:
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2011-08-23, 7:44 AM #10
Qua?
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2011-08-23, 8:08 AM #11
Originally posted by Couchman:
could a virus do this?

I've always imagined a virus that could disable the programming between the temperature control and the fan, and the fan would never go on causing your CPU to fry, that would be interesting

but I know nothing of programming...and you could smell it probably, the nose knows you know,, at least, my giant nose can smell it

Not sure if you could interface with hardware like that with a little virus, but that wouldn't fry your CPU, but make it constantly overheat and shut down your computer.:v:
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2011-08-23, 8:09 AM #12
Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
shout at your computer in german until it surrenders

this, it should only take a few minutes.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2011-08-23, 2:30 PM #13
Originally posted by Mentat:
You're probably using a hotkey combination in an application that's probably the same combination that changes the keyboard layout. The following quote is from a forum where a guy was experiencing the same issue.

I'm also assuming that French shows up in your language bar?

Aha, that's it! Alt-tab is switching the language on me. Thanks.

Now if only I hadn't destroyed my computer in frustration. Oops.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2011-08-23, 2:35 PM #14
You'll always be a Frenchman to me, Jacques-Takashi.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2011-08-23, 2:49 PM #15
Originally posted by Tracer:
Can't. :carl: :master::tfti::saddowns::downs::tinfoil::cool::suicide::argh:

Dear god why?
2011-08-24, 8:07 AM #16
^ well this is new... i think they are getting marginally smarter?
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2011-08-24, 8:10 AM #17
Haha, that's a pretty great spampost.

For posterity

[http://fgr.deus-ex.org/mas/BestSpam.jpg]
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2011-08-24, 9:27 AM #18
Originally posted by Couchman:
could a virus do this?
The ACPI spec is 234 pages long and I can't be ****ed to read all of it, but it does look like a virus would indeed be able to cause some computers to overheat. This probably won't cause permanent damage, though.
2011-08-24, 10:00 AM #19
Originally posted by Darth_Alran:
^ well this is new... i think they are getting marginally smarter?

Too bad for them they're not getting any bolder.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.

↑ Up to the top!