Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → So, Deus Ex: Human Revolution.
So, Deus Ex: Human Revolution.
2011-08-22, 11:26 PM #1
Unlocks on steam in 30 minutes. :awesome:
2011-08-22, 11:34 PM #2
Looks to be good, but it ain't Portal 2. It can wait for morning.
2011-08-23, 1:59 AM #3
26th here, I think. I'm actually quite looking forward to it, considering a few weeks ago I decided not to get it straight away on release. But looking up videos and info about it as I was looking into other games convinced me otherwise and now I'm pretty excited for it.
2011-08-23, 2:16 AM #4
Welp game owns.
2011-08-23, 7:28 AM #5
YOU'RE A WHELP
2011-08-23, 7:29 AM #6
see I couldn't convince myself to buy this yesterday, despite the fact that I know I want to... and now I don't get no preorder discount, hmmmm. Although what's 5 out of 50, anyway.
2011-08-23, 11:27 AM #7
its amazing so far, definately surpasses the second one as of now, we shall see about the first though
2011-08-23, 12:08 PM #8
After figuring out the infuriating bugs with the game at launch, it's pretty fun.

By the way, if anyone else has the same issue, FSAA is buggy. Only Max FSAA or Edge/No AA works. Medium and Low will crash every time with some stupid resource error. Spent an hour figuring that stupid crap out.
2011-08-24, 11:41 PM #9
As of 8 hours in:
GOTY, not as good as DX1.
2011-08-25, 6:02 AM #10
I am in love with this game, I did all the misc quests in the first city and then beat the part of the main quest before you go to the second city...to avoid spoilers

anyway, Is anyone else but me trying to beat it totally non-lethal?
2011-08-25, 6:51 AM #11
I WILL NOT READ ANY REVIEWS UNTIL I GET FGRs TAKE.
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2011-08-25, 6:54 AM #12
I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but apparently the load times are horrific? It sounds like during the loading screens the game is loading data at incredibly low speeds, and it may have something to do with the rendering thread blocking the loading thread?

Hopefully that gets patched if it's true.
2011-08-25, 7:30 AM #13
hmm dont know about that, I am playing it on my laptop with a ****ty integrated graphics card so for the most part my game runs like ****, so maybe I just assumed any long load time was a result of that
2011-08-25, 7:54 AM #14
People with fast SSDs are having the same horrible loading speeds unfortunately.

Here are some people discussing it:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=119710

As a few people in that thread put it, some people with SSDs can copy the entire game installation over to another drive faster than it takes one level to load.
2011-08-25, 12:03 PM #15
Originally posted by Tibby:
As of 8 hours in:
GOTY, not as good as DX1.

GOTY? It's good, but it ain't Portal 2 good.
2011-08-25, 3:11 PM #16
Sounds like the patch they released today fixes the loading issue, as well as some other issues.
2011-08-25, 7:15 PM #17
This just in: everything about this game is awesome.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2011-08-26, 11:33 PM #18
I haven't been able to play it much (mostly due to alcohol) but it seems to be exactly like a Deus Ex game should be.

And yet there is one thing I haven't been able to get over yet.

Deus Ex (2000): "ooh, lamps *clickety click click* haha I'm turning the lamps on and off constantly weeee- ooh, a chair *takes the chair, throws it around* my god a chai- oo a pot *takes the pot, throws iat round and at people who are irritated about it"

Deus Ex Human Revolution (2011): "ooh a lamp- oh it's a static decoration, ooh a chair- oh it's a static decoration, ooh a pot- oh, it's a static decoration, ooh a box *throws box*" ... yay this game has a box"

Aside from that, greatness!
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2011-08-26, 11:50 PM #19
I like throwing vending machines and fridges around myself.
2011-08-26, 11:58 PM #20
Well, I'm not very far into the game yet so I'm hoping to be surprised.

But still, after 7 long years of waiting it was pretty awesome to play it and feel like it's exactly like a Deus Ex game is supposed to be.

It also reminded me of DX2 except that...

... it was done right.
2011-08-27, 12:14 AM #21
Oh the 2nd half of the game is far better then the first.
2011-08-27, 5:03 AM #22
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
I haven't been able to play it much (mostly due to alcohol) but it seems to be exactly like a Deus Ex game should be.

Deus Ex (2000): "ooh, lamps *clickety click click* haha I'm turning the lamps on and off constantly weeee- ooh, a chair *takes the chair, throws it around* my god a chai- oo a pot *takes the pot, throws iat round and at people who are irritated about it"

Deus Ex Human Revolution (2011): "ooh a lamp- oh it's a static decoration, ooh a chair- oh it's a static decoration, ooh a pot- oh, it's a static decoration, ooh a box *throws box*" ... yay this game has a box"

UNSOLD BASED ON REVIEW.
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2011-08-27, 3:49 PM #23

I noticed this as well. The game is littered with stuff you can't interact with...not a huge deal but eh.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2011-08-28, 5:13 PM #24
beat it on hardest difficulty, very good, chose the "fourth" ending
2011-08-30, 3:33 AM #25
Question: does choosing harder difficulty levels give you more XP?
幻術
2011-08-30, 5:46 AM #26
Nope, don't think so, either way you can't have all the augs if you have all the XP in the game, its designed that way
2011-08-30, 6:05 AM #27
Okay, cool, thanks. I played the first level couple of times, but:

The first time I ended up walking around the offices for a while before meeting Sarif, so the hostages were killed because I took too long.
Second time I made to the plant on time, but failed to be stealthy, and somehow all the hostages ended up killed. I shot Zeke in the head before he could kill the plant manager, but wasn't totally satisfied with my performance, to say the least.

Am planning on starting over since I'm only 1 level into the game, pretty fun so far. :)
幻術
2011-08-30, 7:02 AM #28
It is very fun overall, it is incredible and it will be long remembered after 2011, but it doesn't surpass the original, later on in the game there is bad pacing in the story and then the ending is just sort of thrown onto you, the game is awesome don't get me wrong, but it just doesn't have that "I'm alone in the world and everyone is after me" feel, it has more of a "I'm a ****ing badass and nothing can stop me" feel
2011-08-30, 10:10 AM #29
Originally posted by Couchman:
It just doesn't have that "I'm alone in the world and everyone is after me" feel, it has more of a "I'm a ****ing badass and nothing can stop me" feel

That's exactly how I felt when playing the original in all honesty. :)
幻術
2011-08-30, 10:56 AM #30
Quote:
It just doesn't have that "I'm alone in the world and everyone is after me" feel, it has more of a "I'm a ****ing badass and nothing can stop me" feel

Why don't you play it on the hardest difficulty where one shot practically kills you.
2011-08-30, 1:23 PM #31
Originally posted by Temperamental:
Why don't you play it on the hardest difficulty where one shot practically kills you.

Read a few posts up, I did play it on the hardest lol, and I did it non-lethal and I'm very pissed I didn't get the achievement for that, apparently you can't kill turrets or something, so, I think I played the game the hardest way I could in all honesty
2011-08-30, 2:37 PM #32
I read that the game might count guys as dead if you move their body.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2011-08-30, 2:40 PM #33
yeah, who knows, whatever, its just a steam achievement, as long as I know I did it, it was tough at times to not just go rampaging into a room to clear it quickly lemme tell ya

im thinking about replaying the first now
2011-08-30, 5:42 PM #34
Did you kill the guys in the prologue bit? I heard they count, which is a bit sneaky because I don't think you can do takedowns at that point.

I'm quite a ways into it now, and apart from a few niggles* here and there I'm really enjoying it. The atmosphere is a nice mix between the first game and Invisible War, I feel, and it's obviously got the replayability factor. Having said that, though, I have noticed a few augmentations that I think will be redundant no matter what play style I'm going to do next. Silent running, for example, seems useless because the only time I've ever been heard by a guard was when I was half a second away from tapping them on the shoulder and smacking them in the face as they turned around. Although it does bring up the fact that some of the takedown animations are really brutal looking, which I like a lot.

*Namely, after hacking someone's computer I have to wait for the XP/credit counter to stop obscuring half the text, and I've struggled to settle on a playstyle. Going stealthy and doing takedowns is definitely satisfying, and made the most sense to me during the early part of the game when you're mostly encountering gang members. But then you're fighting those commando types and while I think popping them with a silenced pistol would be the smartest move I still find myself sneaking around knocking them out. And I shouldn't, really, because they're bastards.
2011-08-30, 6:00 PM #35
oh **** yeah i did kill them, i thought you had to, wow, thats ****ing ****ty
2011-09-10, 2:24 AM #36
http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-unreal-revolution

Win.

Or, as the (hopefully still) official Massassi DX guy, here's a quickie review(y). Spoilers:

I played through something that for most part was the Deus Ex game that DX2 should have been , suddenly became Left 4 Dead, then transformed into Ghost in the Shell, had audiovisual sequences with a voiceover that could have been from any episode of Heroes and after the credits, ended up with being Deus Ex again. I mean really, in these 7 years I've got through high school and 3 years of employment, so the game was very gratifying. The megatinglies I got from the post-credits sequence and the HELL YEAH from the Deus Ex theme at the end were just awesome.

As a general minus point, I'm not a big fan of these really "darker and edgier" thematics that have been really popular lately (especially in the past decade). The endings, while not bad like in STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl, were indeed some fauxlosophical pondering and (aside from that one ending) I would have wanted to see what really happened to Jensen. However, none of the endings really negated DX1 so even in that regard DX3 is superior to DX2 by several million spacemiles. There were plenty of continuity nods to the original game (as well as a major plot hole in the form of Nicolette DuClare) and the developers seemed to have studied the DX Continuity Bible properly enough as well. And while not really bothering me, it seemed like in order to make most of the DX1 fans satisfied, the plot and gameplay was full of parallels and heavy similarities to missions, conversations etc. from Deus Ex 1. I think it worked, as I felt as compelled to save Malik as I felt saving Jock (and Paul) in DX1. Even if DX3 didn't have even a sly reference to "A bomb!" >.>

Well, those are some points. The worst point is that it's yet another game in the current trend of suffocating the modding community - maybe they've got jealous over the fact that many mods in the past few years have outshined commercial games easily (certainly not most and most of those mods are unreleased anyhow, but still). The fact how easily many parts from the game can be replicated with an 11-year old game is also pretty damn impressive for DX1, but hey, if they don't want to support modding anymore because "it's too hard (like that BFIII guy said)", so be it.

As far as replaying it is concerned... well, I don't really feel like it right now. I do however feel like playing DX1 again. Or a full-scale DXUR mod :]
2011-09-10, 6:42 AM #37
You guys almost make me feel bad for just killing everyone/thing. :)
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2011-09-10, 8:43 AM #38
Agreement with FastGamerr, I REALLY want to play Deus Ex 1 again badly, but it is about to be 3 weeks into the semester and I don't want to risk being consumed in it, I am still working on my x-files rewatch that I started in Febuary and I fell behind and still on season 6

To be honest, I enjoyed DX2, maybe because everyone slammed it so hard my hopes were so low and then it didn't turn out to be THAT bad
2011-09-10, 8:50 AM #39
I don't get it, I didn't feel any attachment to Malik really. Apart from one line at the beginning of the game and a possibly flirtatious "Any time, fly girl" later on there didn't seem to be any chemistry at all between her and Jensen. Maybe that was the point with the dehumanising theme in the game but from comments I've read elsewhere you'd think they were just made for each other. And I've never had a problem forming a connection to a character before.

Also, and I can't check this right now and I keep forgetting when I'm at my computer, but is the a significance to the opening line from Human Revolution? I'm sure it echoes the first line from Deus Ex but I'm not sure.
2011-09-10, 8:54 AM #40

that brings back some memories of other game sequels one example that sticks out clearly in my mine Red Faction... BLOW **** UP Red Faction 2... why can't i blow this **** up? oh look that thing blew up... yay!

of course not a perfect comparison since RF2 generally blew while everything i hear about DX3 is it's generally awesome

also
[http://img.deepgamers.com/1315224638.gif]
eat right, exercise, die anyway

↑ Up to the top!