Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Largeish Lan
Largeish Lan
2011-08-25, 5:27 AM #1
Hi

Usually our Lan's are around 3-4 people, so most games will work fine (ie in terms of player limits) and there isn't much effort needed to get things going. However the last 6 person Lan we had was a bit of an effort to find games. Eventually we ended up playing 3vs3 Company of Heroes, Quake 2 deathmatch (couldn't get Q3 working), struggling with Supreme Commander for a bit and by then the lan had petered out to around 4-5 people.

At any rate we should be having an 8-10 or so person Lan in a bit, but was looking for some games to play. We don't really want to play deathmatch for 10 hours, as it's not that fun on it's own, and some of the guys play RTS/RPG games more (so there's a pretty big skill gap at times).

Usually for 2-4 person Lans, this is the general run of what we might play (all co-op):

Starcraft 2
R6 Vegas 1 (max 4)
R6 Vegas 2 (max 2)
Borderlands (max 4)
Ghost Recon Adv Warfighter 2
OFP Dragon Rising (max 4)
Magicka (max 4)
Alien Swarm (max 4)
(from Steam)
Serious Sam 2 (max 6)
Civ 4-5

We did try to play Diablo 2 with 6 people years ago, but everyone disappears off into the 4 points of the compass pretty quickly. Also tried Dungeon Siege 3 recently, but it was terrible. There was a 5 person lan about 10 years ago, but I don't remember what we played other than 3 us of in Xwing vs TF at about 1am.

We did have semi-regular games of Operation Flashpoint (original) about 5 years ago, but they were pretty hard to setup. The game was infernally finicky.

Any suggestions for co-op, team or RTS games?

Cheers
2011-08-25, 3:16 PM #2
Team Fortress 2. It's a blast at LAN parties (it sucks online).
Works best with balanced teams and at least 6 people.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2011-08-25, 4:33 PM #3
Originally posted by gbk:
(it sucks online).

lolwut.
2011-08-25, 6:05 PM #4
It sucks online? Yeah, not the way I feel. That is one of the, if not THE most played game at my LAN parties. 4 of us join a server and let the mayhem ensue.
"Staring into the wall does NOT count as benchmarking."

-Emon
2011-08-26, 11:37 AM #5
Originally posted by gbk:
Team Fortress 2. It's a blast at LAN parties (it sucks online).
Works best with balanced teams and at least 6 people.

you suck online :argh:
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2011-08-26, 12:26 PM #6
Originally posted by GHORG:
Any suggestions for co-op, team or RTS games?

• Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II (CTF)
  • Quake II (CTF)

Thread over.
? :)
2011-08-27, 3:42 AM #7
Age of Empires II? TA: Spring?

The former if it's a max of eight, though. But TA: Spring can deal with large games no problem.

A lot of the games I can think of, like Worms Armageddon, are a max of six, though, or less. At the very least, Spring will fit everyone, so...
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.

↑ Up to the top!