Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Dead Island
Dead Island
2011-09-08, 2:54 PM #1
I'm about an hour and a half into it so far and all I have to say is this: Island vacations are off the table. Forever.

I started playing it last night in the dark and I spent the whole time being extremely paranoid about the weapon degradation and then having to decide to keep something or not along with the ever present OH GOD THERES A ZOMBIE BEHIND ME feeling.

To me it also feels like I'm playing Far Cry 2 with zombies on an island. The graphics, missions, weapon quirks, crappy menus, all of it just gives off a Far Cry feel.

Also, ITS HAS THE SADDEST TRAILER EVER.
Sorry, don't know how to play this video :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZqrG1bdGtg

What do you guys think?
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2011-09-08, 3:29 PM #2
I wasn't aware it already came out.
How's the game play? I mean aside from far cry-ish, is it a nerve wrenching "I'm paniced because the controls are sloppy," or more of a "this game is polished, but I'm actually scared" game?
omnia mea mecum porto
2011-09-08, 3:36 PM #3
I've heard this game is severely buggy. What bugs have you come across?
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2011-09-08, 3:50 PM #4
Well originally it was VERY buggy, they accidently released a development version on steam. (NoClip was bound to Y key still). Then when they got the correct 1.0.0 version back in place- it caused alot of bugs with saved games, and there were some performance issues and crashing. The most recent update fixed all that for me.

I really like this game, this is how I describe it: Dead Rising 2 done right. It's a great singleplayer experience, I only got a little multiplayer testing in before they shutdown the servers (to return on Friday) but multiplayer seemed unpolished and bugged. I'm hoping patches improve this, but for my multiplayer zombie fix ill probably still have to resort to L4D2.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2011-09-08, 4:44 PM #5
Hahaha, while I was fixing my computer in class I watched someone 'benchmark' it for a while. It looks fun, but why is it only DirectX9?

Originally posted by EAH_TRISCUIT:
I really like this game, this is how I describe it: Dead Rising 2 done right.

I heard "borderlands meets bioshock"
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2011-09-08, 4:58 PM #6
Originally posted by Alan:
Hahaha, while I was fixing my computer in class I watched someone 'benchmark' it for a while. It looks fun, but why is it only DirectX9?

I have no idea but my guess would be: It's a console port. Even Crysis2 PC was DX9 only at it's launch, maybe they will add some DX10/DX11 support later.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2011-09-08, 6:07 PM #7
Originally posted by Gebohq:
I've heard this game is severely buggy. What bugs have you come across?

AI is just as smart as zombies and can't pathfind. Zombies can swing weapons through gates.

I do like curbstomping them, though.
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2011-09-08, 6:40 PM #8
Ars Technica says the PC version is awful buggy. AFTER the patch.

I am avoiding this with a 10 foot pole.
2011-09-08, 6:44 PM #9
I"m guessing the PC was ported from the consoles? The console versions I heard are fine I think, garnered pretty good reviews overall. However, I'm getting Resistance 3 this week instead.

↑ Up to the top!