Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Rocky... Ironically, for the first time...
Rocky... Ironically, for the first time...
2011-09-13, 12:24 AM #1
Either due to boredom or the rapid influx of free time (with it being my day off tomorrow) I am going to watch the entire 'Rocky' series tomorrow/today. I've never seen the full series. Also, other than the last two (Rocky 5 & Rocky Balboa) I've only seen bits and pieces or edited for television verisions...

The ironic part of this is that my real name (actually on my birth certificate) is Rocky. I own the DVD box set of the first five, however, I don't know why, but I've never felt the need to watch the actual movies since I've seen them all on TV before.

So I guess, Massassi, I'm asking if anyone has any opinions on the series or even a specific film that would be interesting/beneficial... ?
"Hello one day ban." ~ Baconfish
>Liberius when he's not on Massassi<
2011-09-13, 12:49 AM #2
Rocky - Great movie. Hands down deserves all of the praise it gets.
Rocky II - It's ok. Not nearly as good as the first, though.
Rocky III - We're entering "it's fun" territory here. Unintentionally funny half the time.
Rocky IV - Some say this is the best in the series. I disagree. I think we have finally entered "So bad it's good" territory.

Now you said other than the last two, so I don't know if you mean if you've not seen them at all, or you have seen them... So I'll include my thoughts on them as well.

Rocky V - Don't waste your time. Virtually no redeeming characteristics.
Rocky Balboa - A toss up between this and the first for best film in the series.
>>untie shoes
2011-09-13, 1:17 AM #3
I've only seen the first, once, and it was good. I may see Rocky Balboa someday, but it's not something I intend to go out of my way to do.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2011-09-13, 2:44 AM #4
I've lasted Rocky 1->5 in a session, couldn't survive to Balboa as Rocky 5 did us in at around 5-6am. Antony's summarisation is correct though. Prepare yourself for some lengthy cinematic peaks and troughs. Also, Beer
2011-09-13, 3:28 AM #5
I think the entire series is worth watching, that the worst film in the series is Rocky III & that Rocky Balboa is worth watching for nostalgic reasons but that it's the second worst film in the series. Granted, even a worse Rocky film isn't that bad.
? :)
2011-09-13, 4:01 AM #6
Ironic, indeed.

I assume afterwards you'll be having a Rocky & Bullwinkle marathon?

(Speaking of free time, I'm sure you know what I'm hoping you'll do... :P )
2011-09-13, 6:49 AM #7
I've only seen Rocky and IV; Both were ok.
nope.
2011-09-13, 3:50 PM #8
Originally posted by Al Ciao:
I assume afterwards you'll be having a Rocky & Bullwinkle marathon?

While eating Rocky Road ice cream?
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2011-09-14, 4:51 AM #9
Originally posted by Alan:

He'll then be taking a sojourn to the Rocky Mountains.

...sorry Lib, but we on Massassi haven't had a chance to beat this dead horse. :D
2011-09-14, 5:57 AM #10
May as well just watch the Flintstones.
...I know that the title doesn't have rock in it but when it comes to lame rock puns (and by pun I mean insert the word rock in everywhere) nothing beats it.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2011-09-14, 6:37 AM #11
? :)
2011-09-14, 7:58 AM #12

And drinking Rolling Rock. Preferably with tons of swearing, a la the Angry Video Game Nerd.
2011-09-14, 10:00 PM #13
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
And drinking Rolling Rock. Preferably with tons of swearing, a la the Angry Video Game Nerd.

LOL... That is actually one I've never heard before.

Originally posted by Al Ciao:
He'll then be taking a sojourn to the Rocky Mountains.

...sorry Lib, but we on Massassi haven't had a chance to beat this dead horse. :D

Not a problem at all. I get it all the time. I like to say I've heard them all before but, as CM just proved, once in a while someone finds a good one or an original one.

Some other name/puns Massassians might be missing:

Rocky Raccoon (Beatles song)
Rocky Mountain High (the song, since someone already mentioned the actual mountain range)
Rocky Horror Picture Show
Rocky Marciano (the real former boxer)
Rocky Maivia (a.k.a. Dwayne Johnson a.k.a. The Rock)
The Rock (The movie)
Pop Rocks
Rock Candy
etc...
etc...
etc...

A note on the actual thread topic: I have to wait till tomorrow to watch Balboa since all the video stores around me are currently closed. I totally marathoned the first five.
2011-09-15, 4:05 AM #14
Wow, hats off to CM!

So how did you like the first five?
2011-09-16, 2:05 AM #15
On a semi-related note, I've never seen any Rocky movie.
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2011-09-16, 4:06 AM #16
On a semi-related note, I've never seen any Rocky movie.

Interestingly enough, neither have I (except for like the last 30 minutes or so of number 3), but was too ashamed to admit it. :D
2011-09-29, 9:54 AM #17
Alright, so it's been a very busy week & a half. New phone, bills, work, & a couple dates. I haven't had a chance to sit down and type. However, I did finally finish the series.

For the most part, I do agree with Antony on how the series plays out...

Originally posted by Antony:
Rocky - Great movie. Hands down deserves all of the praise it gets.
Rocky II - It's ok. Not nearly as good as the first, though.
Rocky III - We're entering "it's fun" territory here. Unintentionally funny half the time.
Rocky IV - Some say this is the best in the series. I disagree. I think we have finally entered "So bad it's good" territory.
Rocky V - Don't waste your time. Virtually no redeeming characteristics.
Rocky Balboa - A toss up between this and the first for best film in the series.

However... I do have some other things to say about it.

I. It is a great movie, however it did NOT age well. Cinimaticly, it really can't be compared to today's films or even later films in the series. One of the biggest reasons for me why it ends up being one of the best in the series is because it is the original. To be honest, Paulie was a huge dick, the romance between Rocky & Adrian didn't seem all that believable, & I was slightly thrown off by Rocky starting out as a bookie's enforcer.

II. I actually felt this one was a bit tighter than the first. A lot more story, a lot more complex, and yet still tied in firmly with the first.

III. Yeah... definately unintentionally funny at times. Some of it was intentional, and I did like it. I feel this is when the series started taking a kind of bad turn towards using pop culture. I was kind of glad at this point that I didn't have to hear Gonna Fly Now all the time since it was now replaced with Eye of the Tiger; however after the third time or so hearing it I realised just how bad the eighties were. Both music & fassion. The cut off shirts Rocky & Apollo wore during training? Yeah... Just say no. Overall, including the story, not bad when you take out the over-the-top tendencies of the 80's. Oh yeah... And Paulie's still a dick.

IV. I disagree with your "so bad it's good" review. There were plenty of bad things... The giant robot, the music (Eye of the Tiger just with new words), & the acting from the kid playing Rocky's son... but I actually think it's still kind of iconic. It plays out rather well. Had the series ended here it might have been a fitting end but then again, we wouldn't have had Balboa (which I shall get to soon).

V. The most redeeming thing about this was that it sent Rocky back to the basics. The family is back in Philly, Rocky has his hat back & his attitude, and it sets up the final film (which of course they didn't know they would even be making). The fact that this is supposed to take place right after IV, when Rocky's kid is still a kid, and when he comes back from Russia he's a teen is rather off putting. It really is the worst in the series, however, worst in the Rocky series still isn't all that bad. I liked it, but too many things about it just don't fit with the rest. Did I mention Paulie's still a dick?

Balboa. One of my favorite, if not my favorite, of the entire series. Although the premise for the fight is weak, and Rocky's loyalty to the woman is very questionable... over all it is the most down to earth & human, right beside the first one. Rocky's humble again (partly due to the set up of V, thank you), and the entire movie has the feeling of finality through all of it. Also, Paulie finally has a heart. It really is a great film that I could go on about. Alas, this post has gone on long enough & I need to get things done before work.
2011-09-29, 9:59 AM #18
I think you misunderstood my comments about Rocky IV. I love that movie. But when I use the so bad it's good label, I'm putting it in the same category as movies like Commando and Roadhouse. I mean, it's awesome, but you can't seriously call it a good movie.
>>untie shoes
2011-09-30, 6:54 AM #19
LIVING IN AMERICAAAAA *SPANGLY SUIT DANCE*
nope.

↑ Up to the top!