Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → JK red sky
JK red sky
2011-09-15, 3:21 PM #1
Hey, um, actual Jedi Knight question here: Does anyone know the name of this sky texture? http://uploadpic.org/storage/2011/fhtA52Nfk2C7LtA0d9dUBJz70.jpg
I think it came with the unofficial patch.
2011-09-16, 12:07 AM #2
I wouldn't ask, if I hadn't tried to find it myself first. So any help would be appreciated.
I want to extract it and adjust the colouring to a blueish hue. I appreciate that it looks way more like a distant night sky than the original which looked like a painted ceiling at times. And maybe the red colour is even correct according to some obscure piece of SW lore. But it just doesn't fit a level that is completely in blue and grey tones. After all the light from a red sky would also colour the environment, which it doesn't. So it really sticks out.
2011-09-16, 12:23 AM #3
00starry.mat
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2011-09-16, 12:39 AM #4
Thank you, FastGamerr. I'll have a go at it tonight.
2011-09-16, 10:55 AM #5
Worked out fine. Thanks again. :)
Screenshot: http://oi53.tinypic.com/2ikcuas.jpg
MAT file: http://www.mediafire.com/file/k3974xg4654ssn4/JK_JKE.GOB_00starry.7z
2011-09-17, 4:52 AM #6
I have another question, which is about gameplay this time:
Shortly after you get 8t88's arm there is a cross section in the tubes with just one way to go. From a bridge above a Gran throws thermal detonators at you. He's easy enough to kill. The question is: How is one supposed to get up there, not counting cheats?

At this time (it's the 2 level) the most I ever had was 1 star and no chance to spend it. So force jump seems out of the question. And I never saw a different entry to that bridge either. But there's a smuggler's bagpack up there, so surely there ought to be a way?
2011-09-17, 5:52 AM #7
Does "cheats" include "mods"? If not, there's no shortage of mods with grapple hooks. I can't remember how far away this ledge is in my mind but if there's 3 sequence charges you can mine-jump a decent enough distance. If there's a super-shield you can mine-jump as far as you'd like, so long as you don't ram in to anything. Otherwise, it's probably impossible, assuming it's a great distance away.
? :)
2011-09-17, 6:31 AM #8
Well I was wondering what the developer's intention were as to how the player should get up there, ie if there's any "normal" way to reach that bridge that I haven't been able to find in all my playthroughs.
I looked up a few walkthroughs on the net, but they all ignore that part.
2011-09-17, 8:26 AM #9
I don't think so, if memory serves its not even a secret area. I think its just one of those parts in the game that's there vut not quite intended for you to be.

I really like what you did with that texture a lot. Do you have any screens of your level? Are you planning a release soon?
2011-09-17, 9:08 AM #10
I merely recoloured that texture from JK Enhanced for my playthrough. I'm not planning to build a level.
2011-09-17, 11:28 AM #11
oh.. =(
2011-09-18, 11:42 PM #12
Originally posted by x25064:
I don't think so, if memory serves its not even a secret area. I think its just one of those parts in the game that's there vut not quite intended for you to be.

I really like what you did with that texture a lot. Do you have any screens of your level? Are you planning a release soon?

As I recall, there's a power up up there. Perhaps it's just meant to taunt the player! :argh:
2011-09-18, 11:54 PM #13
Yes, a smuggler's backpack. Though it seems I cannot collect it now. I'm pretty sure I used to be able to take it. Might be due to a mod I'm using.

EDIT: Or I just had full energy health and shield when I found it, have to check again.
2011-09-19, 9:01 AM #14
If there was a smuggler's backpack there, then they probably initially intended you to use force jump (picked up from the first level) to use in the second. Since that idea was later scrapped, they probably forgot about it.
2011-09-19, 9:38 AM #15
Stop making me wanna install JK you jerks
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2011-09-19, 9:39 AM #16
Can you get force pull that early on? I forgot.
2011-09-19, 9:59 AM #17
Originally posted by Alan:
Stop making me wanna install JK you jerks

This.

Originally posted by x25064:
Can you get force pull that early on? I forgot.

No, all the force powers are locked until you find your dad's lightsaber in the garage and become a Jedi.

As for that power-up you can't get to... at the end of the level it tells you how many of the secrets you found. Are you able to get them all? I used to know all the secrets in the first 4 or so levels, but its been so long now... Maybe I'll dig out my JK discs...
2011-09-19, 10:16 AM #18
At a time I was led to believe that you could only get Force Speed (the first power you'll get in the game) on the 4th level only if you found all the secrets from the preceding levels. And that you required it in order to proceed. Or something.

Dunno how true that is but I've found all the secrets from the first three levels ever since, and that part you're referring to isn't one of them.
2011-09-19, 10:29 AM #19
No you cannot get that powerup and it does not count as a secret, there are 11 I think secrets in the 2nd level. I still remember where all of them are :(
(JKLE_Cougar) from JK MP Community
discord.me/jediknightdarkforces2
2011-09-19, 12:45 PM #20
This thread made me finally bite the bullet and pay $20 on steam for the Jedi Knight Pack. :-/ I still have all my discs, but I want them to be in steam.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2011-09-19, 1:46 PM #21
Well something good has come from it then. :)

And yeah, it doesn't count as a secret area. Haven't managed to pickup the backpack with lower health either.
2011-09-19, 7:29 PM #22
You don't need force speed for level 4. It just helps. A LOT.
2011-09-19, 8:12 PM #23
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
At a time I was led to believe that you could only get Force Speed (the first power you'll get in the game) on the 4th level only if you found all the secrets from the preceding levels. And that you required it in order to proceed. Or something.

Dunno how true that is but I've found all the secrets from the first three levels ever since, and that part you're referring to isn't one of them.

It was my understanding that finding all the secrets in a level got you an extra force star at the completion of that level, but that you couldn't start spending them until you got the Lightsaber.

I seem to recall the strategy guide saying something about needing to get all the secrets without reloading, but my mind could be making that memory up...
2011-09-20, 12:22 AM #24
From the JK manual:
Quote:
At the bottom of the screen you’ll see how many blue stars you earned during the
level, anywhere from one to three for single player game levels. (In multiplayer games,
there can be up to 24 stars to assign, depending on the Jedi Rank the host sets.) Each Jedi
Rank earned gives you two stars. You gain an extra star by finding all secret areas in a
level. Increasing Force powers are also available with increasing Rank.

Quote:
At some point along your journey, you will reach a point of no return. Your morality
at that defining moment will determine which path you take. If you have held true to the
teachings of Rahn and the wisdom of your father, you will resist the temptations of the
dark side. Or you may succumb. Then, your choice is made between the light or the dark
side.
At this crossroads, the Force Power Allocation screen appears [...]

Of course that's not quite true. The screen appears earlier, but you cannot do anything on it yet. Also I'm not sure if this point of no return and the first time you can allocate powers are really the same.
I think you can allocate stars earlier than that and your decision which powers you choose defines a lot of your alignment (apart from killing innocents).
2011-09-20, 9:53 AM #25
I like how in JO and JA that your basic force powers like push,pull,speed,jump leveled up automatically overtime so you would spend your points customizing out the more unique abilities. This would've been great for MoTS where I think there were like 25 powers
2011-09-21, 12:48 AM #26
Here's another question: The JK cutscenes have black corruption and begin to stutter terribly after a while for me on winXP.
After bugging around a while with newer smacker DLLs I eventually found a fix that requires to turn off DDRaw in DirectX (Start->Run->dxdiag). Cutscenes then run smoothly like they used to.
This is a good enough fix but slightly inconvenient. Is there a another way that I'm unaware of?

Note: The ddraw.dll fix from http://www.jkhub.net/ doesn't make a difference for the videos.
2011-09-21, 1:27 AM #27
No clue. Yet I've always had black corruption and some kind of stutter (or rather, "ghosts" of earlier frames remaining in screen when the scene changes) in the JK FMVs. As in, ever since 1998. Funky!

As the FMV files are stored in a video format (.smk?), ddraw.dll won't do anything for them.
2011-09-21, 1:54 PM #28
Okay, I wrote a batch file that will check the current status of DDraw.
If DDraw is on, it will turn it off and start JK, then wait until you finished playing playing and re-enable DDraw again.
Should you start this while DDraw is off for any reason, it will just turn DDraw on and exit.
http://www.mediafire.com/?a8ip5f42iv8tio4
Drop the file into your game folder and doubleclick to start it.
I tested this on winXP and it works fine here, but no guarantees.

EDIT: While this works in running the cutscenes without corruption, there's a minor problem: The game won't have hardware acceleration available without ddraw, so it's more or less unplayable... :/

↑ Up to the top!