Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Nasa discovers Binary Star System
Nasa discovers Binary Star System
2011-09-15, 6:44 PM #1
Just figured this was kind of neat

[LEFT] [/COLOR] The existence of a world with a double sunset, as portrayed in the film Star Wars more than 30 years ago, is now scientific fact. NASA's Kepler mission has made the first unambiguous detection of a circumbinary planet -- a planet orbiting two stars -- 200 light-years from Earth. [/COLOR][/LEFT]

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/kepler/news/kepler-16b.html
The Gas Station
2011-09-15, 7:47 PM #2
That's crazy. My first reaction was "I figured they had already discovered such a thing," and then I realized how recently it was we actually confirmed an exoplanet.
omnia mea mecum porto
2011-09-15, 7:53 PM #3
Originally posted by Grant:
is now scientific fact.

It was already scientific fact. Facts don't become facts because we discover them.
2011-09-15, 11:56 PM #4
If you're gonna be a pedantic dick about it, at least get it right.

Awesome pictures. Also look at the size of that thing, etc.
2011-09-16, 4:14 AM #5
Originally posted by Roach:
That's crazy. My first reaction was "I figured they had already discovered such a thing," and then I realized how recently it was we actually confirmed an exoplanet.

My response exactly. Mediocre minds think alike!

Originally posted by JM:
It was already scientific fact. Facts don't become facts because we discover them.

Although this is true, we could also make an epistemological case along the lines of "If a tree falls in the forest and no one hears it, does it make a sound?"

In other news, thanks for ninja'ing me on saying this so you got called a pedantic dick instead of me. :D

Originally posted by Kolya:
Also look at the size of that thing, etc.

Casual off-the-cuff Star Wars quotes for the win!

That's no binary star system... it's a space station!

:ninja:
2011-09-16, 8:42 AM #6
So, from what I briefly read, the smaller sun just orbits the bigger one much like a planet?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2011-09-16, 9:00 AM #7
Yes. We would be a binary system if Jupiter hadn't been such a lazy ****up.
2011-09-16, 10:25 AM #8
Saturn always said he'd never amount to anything. Not like his goody two shoes brother Neptune.
nope.
2011-09-16, 3:21 PM #9
On the other side of the coin, we would also be on and possibly made out of fire.
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2011-09-16, 7:00 PM #10
Originally posted by Baconfish:
Saturn always said he'd never amount to anything. Not like his goody two shoes brother Neptune.

LOL love it. And I applaud your knowledge of Greco-Roman mythology.
2011-09-16, 7:02 PM #11
I think you're a bit confused about what was discovered here. They did not discover a binary star system- they already knew that the system was binary. My understanding is that binary star systems actually out number single star systems in the Universe, so the discovery of one isn't really big news.

What was discovered was a planet that is orbiting both stars. As far as I know, this is a first. Plenty of planets have been discovered in binary systems before, but up until now, all of those found were orbiting only one of the two stars.
2011-09-16, 7:57 PM #12
Originally posted by JM:
"Scientific fact" literally means "known fact." The existence of the planet was fact, but it was not knowledge.

Originally posted by JM:
Yes. We would be a binary system if Jupiter hadn't been such a lazy ****up.
Jupiter would need to be many times more massive in order to become a star.

Originally posted by DSettahr:
What was discovered was a planet that is orbiting both stars. As far as I know, this is a first.
Correct.

↑ Up to the top!