Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Full Metal Jacket
Full Metal Jacket
2011-09-24, 5:34 PM #1
I was just wondering, as I sometimes do, at the feelings towards this movie? I personally feel that the basic training portion was far and away the best part of the movie, and while I wouldnt stop the movie when they get to Vietnam, I certainly feel a drop in the awesome level of it.
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2011-09-24, 5:43 PM #2
Why would you only watch part of a movie? Then there is no conclusion, its like watching a clip on YouTube.

On another note, there is nothing about this movie that would compel me to watch it again. I've seen it once, and that was enough to recognize Vincent D. in everything he does and to understand all the quotes people recite from it.

As far as Vietnam movies go, I thought Apocalypse Now and Platoon were much better.
2011-09-24, 5:58 PM #3
None of the people who voted 'I'm Jepman' are actually jepman. :argh:
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2011-09-24, 6:10 PM #4
I vote Jep for I havent seen it. Also Jep doesn't really grace us with his presence anymore. :(
nope.
2011-09-24, 6:14 PM #5
I always watch the whole thing even if it is sort of two movies crammed together. The conclusion is subtle; the movie wouldn't be made today.
2011-09-24, 8:11 PM #6
who would only watch the first half and deprive themselves of Animal Mother?

only a complete ******* would do that
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2011-09-24, 8:39 PM #7
Originally posted by Baconfish:
I vote Jep for I havent seen it. Also Jep doesn't really grace us with his presence anymore. :(

Do you SEE or DO or EXPERIENCE anything? Besides drinking?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2011-09-24, 8:47 PM #8
Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
who would only watch the first half and deprive themselves of Animal Mother?

only a complete ******* would do that

I find Crazy Earl to be more entertaining than Animal Mother.

These are great days we're living, bros. We are jolly green giants walking the earth... with guns. These men we wasted here today are the finest men we'll ever know.
>>untie shoes
2011-09-24, 11:24 PM #9
I don't watch war movies that focus on fatties whining and offing themselves. Boo hoo.

[/FGR post]
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2011-09-24, 11:34 PM #10
So at least we know one person who won't be watching the inevitable MB biopic.
>>untie shoes
2011-09-25, 1:33 AM #11
I've seen it half a dozen times, all the way through, & would gladly watch it again.
? :)
2011-09-25, 4:41 AM #12
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
Do you SEE or DO or EXPERIENCE anything? Besides drinking?

[http://i.imgur.com/kpTtT.gif]
nope.
2011-09-25, 7:10 AM #13
How come we can embed youtube videos but not images?
2011-09-25, 8:37 AM #14
Because we can?
2011-09-25, 10:49 AM #15
Originally posted by x25064:
Why would you only watch part of a movie? Then there is no conclusion, its like watching a clip on YouTube.

Notice how YouTube is one of the most popular sites on the Web...

Originally posted by Antony:
So at least we know one person who won't be watching the inevitable MB biopic.

Haha!

Anywho, I have never seen this movie, and have no desire to see it. I don't like war movies in general or Vietnam in particular. Plus, I'm not a big movie person period. I have seen exactly one movie this year that I have not seen before, and that was when a friend gave me his DVD of Megamind and said, "Watch this." It was okay.

I do want to see the superhero movies, however, notably Thor and Green Lantern.
2011-09-26, 9:55 AM #16
I think this thread is uber relevant. I knew a couple people that liked fmj and encouraged me to watch. When i watched it with those people, i witnessed them trying to turning the movie off after the basic training part, saying they never watched the rest of the actual movie. After smacking this person in the face i made them sit down and watch it in its entirety. I love this movie personally. Anyone who has that narrow a mind when it comes to film (not watching an entire movie at least once to see if they liked it) deserves to not experience a movie as phenomenal as this. Those sad few may now hang your heads in shame. Ok its not 2001, but its still awesome, and its got the law n order guy!

I came to find out that there were many people around like that, who despite owning the dvd, had never been incited into watching everything else.

Kubrick being my favorite director of all time now, i cannot see how anyone could shut the movie off at this crucial juncture. I mean ok, its no Barry Lyndon, or Dr. Strangelove. And it didn't have tom cruse in a mask watching orgies...... but its still awesome.

However, if it were to be put against Apocalypse now, I would choose the latter....

Which reminds me of the awesome directer cameos both directors played in their Vietnam movies.
" I am the Lizard King, I can do anyhthing... "
2011-09-26, 12:20 PM #17
I didn't even realize people did this. With the popularity of Youtube, it makes sense. The basic training segment of the movie is so self-contained that cutting out the story arc and serving it on its own doesn't do the segment any real damage.

The rest of the movie, however, wouldn't survive as well with the beginning chopped off. Without the context of their Mickey Mouse bull**** introduction to the war they're about to fight, the rest of the film is exposed as being as amorphous and without a primary cause as it always was. It requires the imposition of the beginning subplot to obscure (or attempt to obscure) the directionlessness and brutal insanity of what follows.

It can be easily compared to primary schooling versus "the real world." The drill sergeant parallels the teacher/dean/other authority figure, the marine corps represents the overarching system of meaning the characters operate within, and the rest of the film represents the chaos they are unleashed into, in which they are required to form their own ethos and meaning (the bullying subplot is almost too obvious to mention). Without the formative years, the need to impose meaning on the chaos that follows seems less urgent.
2011-09-27, 5:06 AM #18
Originally posted by Masq:
I didn't even realize people did this. With the popularity of Youtube, it makes sense. The basic training segment of the movie is so self-contained that cutting out the story arc and serving it on its own doesn't do the segment any real damage.

The rest of the movie, however, wouldn't survive as well with the beginning chopped off. Without the context of their Mickey Mouse bull**** introduction to the war they're about to fight, the rest of the film is exposed as being as amorphous and without a primary cause as it always was. It requires the imposition of the beginning subplot to obscure (or attempt to obscure) the directionlessness and brutal insanity of what follows.

It can be easily compared to primary schooling versus "the real world." The drill sergeant parallels the teacher/dean/other authority figure, the marine corps represents the overarching system of meaning the characters operate within, and the rest of the film represents the chaos they are unleashed into, in which they are required to form their own ethos and meaning (the bullying subplot is almost too obvious to mention). Without the formative years, the need to impose meaning on the chaos that follows seems less urgent.

Deep. :)
2011-09-28, 8:26 AM #19
I watched it once. I don't remember anything past painting the latrine.
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2011-09-28, 3:25 PM #20
Its cool, just go back to watching Tyler Perry movies, they are bound to enthrall you if FMJ wont.
2011-09-29, 12:29 PM #21
Originally posted by KOP_Snake:
I was just wondering, as I sometimes do, at the feelings towards this movie? I personally feel that the basic training portion was far and away the best part of the movie, and while I wouldnt stop the movie when they get to Vietnam, I certainly feel a drop in the awesome level of it.

Three words: R Lee Ermey.
Xbox Live/PlayStation Network/Steam: tone217
http://twitter.com/ourmatetone
2011-09-29, 12:30 PM #22
Originally posted by Darth_Xasthur:
Its cool, just go back to watching Tyler Perry movies, they are bound to enthrall you if FMJ wont.

Are you saying Alan is black?
>>untie shoes
2011-09-29, 3:08 PM #23
Worse than that, im saying that he'd enjoy a Mike Bay film as well as anything with Jeff Fox-unworthy.

His favorite film is: Shes gotta have it

He likes the smiths

He eats caviar

He poops with his pants entirely off

He enjoys smowballing his girlfriend

He doesn't think Dark side of the Moon is the best album ever

He masturbates to prepubescent asian boys

The list of offences goes on and on, but the most (h)anus must not be mentioned. EVER!

(it was his double rape, triple murder, and j-walking charge's)
2011-09-29, 3:30 PM #24
I'm sure you enjoy anal sex with men, but I don't theorize out loud.

I've never seen She's Gotta Have It

More of an Atomic Kitten fan

I bathe in caviar

Okay, you got me

What girlfriend

Cause Alan Parsons did better work on his own then with some group of hack stoners.

I don't remember the nationality, but I definitely remember some 14-year-old consent

(I got acquitted of the jaywalking and one of the rape charges turned out to be abuse of a corpse)
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2011-09-30, 6:56 AM #25
Dark Side of the Moon isn't even the best Floyd album ever.
nope.
2011-09-30, 6:59 AM #26
What the hell is going on with DX with these sprawling, awkward posts?
2011-09-30, 7:05 AM #27
I've never seen it
2011-09-30, 10:05 AM #28

Agreed.
>>untie shoes
2011-09-30, 11:54 AM #29

that honor goes to Animals IMO
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2011-09-30, 12:13 PM #30
[mp3][url]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16612064/Thewall.mp3[/mp3]
[/URL]

mp3 tags ain't workin!
nope.
2011-09-30, 1:28 PM #31
I would say the best Floyd albums are : More, Saucer full of secrets, obscured by clouds, and meddle are the best albums. The 70's wish you were here and animals kicks ass as well, yet i would not put them in my top 4.

↑ Up to the top!