Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → How do you know when you need a new toner cartridge?
How do you know when you need a new toner cartridge?
2011-10-31, 9:37 PM #1
My Brother laser printer gave me the "Low Toner" warning over a year ago and refused to print. I put a piece of tape over the sensor window on the cartridge and I've probably spit out 1000+ pages since then. Sneaky bastards.

So, what exactly will happen when it *really does* need to be replaced? I've been waiting for/expecting something to happen for a really long time now....but something hasn't.
2011-11-01, 1:02 AM #2
Your printouts will look like ****.
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2011-11-01, 2:46 PM #3
Wow really? There are printers out there that just REFUSE to print when that sensor is tripped?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2011-11-01, 2:59 PM #4
See also: http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2008/08/take_that_stupid_printer.html
In there it said he was able to get 1800+ copies out after covering the sensor on the toner cart with electrical tape.

If I remember right, as you run out of toner, the prints become less and less visible until it just runs white paper through.
2011-11-01, 3:55 PM #5
A while back there was an article in maybe PC Magazine that exposed a few of these printer companies that block printing when the cartridge gets to about 25%, when as you've seen for yourself it is fully capable of still printing just fine.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2011-11-01, 5:04 PM #6
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
Wow really? There are printers out there that just REFUSE to print when that sensor is tripped?

This. My printer, and every printer I've used/owned, have printed even after running completely out. This is odd news to me. =/
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2011-11-01, 6:35 PM #7
Newer printers are built like this, since our printer was free with a laptop I'm going ahead and guessing the revenue is made from ink now, not the printers.
2011-11-01, 6:55 PM #8
revenue has always been from ink/toner.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2011-11-01, 8:10 PM #9
Yeah, that's not new. I know someone that routinely buys new printers instead of new ink because it's cheaper (deals, coupons, etc) and then sells off the "old" printers.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2011-11-01, 9:24 PM #10
Frankly, 95% of my printing is off a cheapo $80 laserjet I got off Newegg last year. It's still running on the toner that it came with, which was supposedly a half-filled cartridge. It's on 400 pages now, and still rockin'.
2011-11-02, 12:48 AM #11
Toner sensor BS aside this printer was one of the best purchases I've made from a cost standpoint....I usually only print black and white and the toner seems to last forever. I was buying new black inks every month or two. Laser printer paid for probably 3 or 4 times already.
2011-11-02, 5:08 AM #12
Toner tends to give you thousands of prints as opposed to the hundreds that ink cartridges give you. I have a color laserjet, and despite it costing ~$200 to replace all of the toner at once, I rarely ever need to replace more than one cartridge at a time and they last forever.
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE

↑ Up to the top!