Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → spoilers, cool or not?
spoilers, cool or not?
2011-11-07, 11:36 PM #1
not talking about cars, those things are gay.

I love spoilers.. I read all news about any upcoming video game or movie or whatnot I'm interested. maybe I'm just still a kid at heart .. I looked under my parents bed for Christmas presents as a child.

I've been reading angry comments from news articles that were spoilers recently and an amazed at the stupidity of people who are anti spoiler, opening these articles, and further more, reading the whole damn thing. And then being angry. gotta love the interwebs.

But is this a normal reaction or am I uncommon for wanting to not be surprised and just know everything asap.
2011-11-08, 12:57 AM #2
Spoilers don't piss me off because I think the journey to the end is more important than the end itself.

But that's just me.

Post a spoiler: Spike dies
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2011-11-08, 3:11 AM #3
depends on what is being spoiled... if it's something i really care about i hate spoilers but if i am curious about something but don't really care to read/see/play it i'm not bothered by them

spoiler: Paul gets shot by a sniper
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2011-11-08, 5:43 AM #4
Depends entirely on the individual thing.
But as a general rule I only want to find out enough to know if I want it (or want to watch/play/read it) and then after that I avoid hearing anymore so I can experience it all first hand.
Spoiling stuff can often ruin the dramatic impact of it, especially if it's a plot twist in the story or something, even when it's one you see coming.

Deadman twitches
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2011-11-08, 8:21 AM #5
IT WAS HIS SLED
2011-11-08, 8:49 AM #6
Originally posted by Deadman:
Depends entirely on the individual thing.
But as a general rule I only want to find out enough to know if I want it (or want to watch/play/read it) and then after that I avoid hearing anymore so I can experience it all first hand.
Spoiling stuff can often ruin the dramatic impact of it, especially if it's a plot twist in the story or something, even when it's one you see coming.

This. Except that in the past 2.5 years I've mainly just got lazy enough to just spoil stuff by reading recaps or whatnot. To some degree it has also worked pretty well, since series like House sound so post-shark that I'm glad I stopped watching it in the beginning of the 5th season. Oh, and I did avoid the whole Kutler thing for like 6 months :P

I still think people should mark spoilers as such even if I end up reading them. I also think that after a certain time (maybe 7 years, maybe not) spoilers cease to exist so stuff like Rosebud's sled, Aeris' death, Luke being Vader's son, Keyser Soze making all the events up, Darth Revan being the player character, Peter denying Jesus three times, Tyler Durden being the narrator, Soylent Green being people and King Kong falling off a skyscraper become history instead.

(So Hitler committed suicide, eh)> o_q " <(THPOILERTHHHH)
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2011-11-08, 9:03 AM #7
Batman dies at the end of The Dark Knight Rises.
>>untie shoes
2011-11-08, 9:54 AM #8
Originally posted by Tibby:
IT WAS HIS SLED

If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2011-11-08, 4:36 PM #9
I seem to recall reading about a study that showed that most people who knew the ending of a movie prior to watching it for the first time actually enjoyed the movie more than those who didn't know the ending...
2011-11-09, 12:21 AM #10
Spoilers are definitely not cool when it comes to serious business like movies. I got in to a shouting match while standing in line (we had already purchased our tickets) at the cinema once because the ******* in front of me was telling his girlfriend how he'd already seen the movie & then gave away the ending. I can't even remember which movie it was but I do remember really looking forward to it. I was yelling so loudly at the guy that security came over to find out what was going on. The guy ended up apologizing & going in to watch his ****ing movie & my girlfriend of the moment & I were given a refund (there wasn't anything else decent playing at the time).

A co-worker of mine once ruined the ending of a movie for me by accident. He said that the movie was almost out of cinemas & had assumed that I'd already seen it. That's fine...I got him back when he was going to see "Matrix Revolutions". He was a huge fan. I was there waiting at the door when he went to leave for the day. My final words for him before he walked out were "Trinity dies, mother****er."
? :)
2011-11-09, 7:23 AM #11
Originally posted by Mentat:
A co-worker of mine once ruined the ending of a movie for me by accident. He said that the movie was almost out of cinemas & had assumed that I'd already seen it. That's fine...I got him back when he was going to see "Matrix Revolutions". He was a huge fan. I was there waiting at the door when he went to leave for the day. My final words for him before he walked out were "Trinity dies, mother****er."

His was an accident, yours was on purpose, that isn't you getting him back that's you being an asterisks.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2011-11-09, 7:27 AM #12
I relate to the previous posts about it not being a big deal unless it's something I care about. Typically when a friend is telling me about a movie, TV show, book or video game storyline, I assume I'll never have time to view these things so for the sake of conversation I give them permission to spoil it for me. It never fails that when I actually get around to viewing the above media I've forgotten the spoiler, or I only remember that something was going to happen to a certain character, but I'll have no recollection what that was.

I am however a huge fan of fake spoilers. I remember walking out of the theater after seeing the premier of TLOTR The Two Towers and shouting "I cant believe they killed Gandalf. . .AGAIN!!"
I got such a reaction I did it after seeing a bunch of other movies on opening night. It wasn't funny after the first time, but I was in high school and thought I was the ****ing king of comedy.
My blawgh.
2011-11-09, 8:12 AM #13
I avoid spoilers like the plague for things I'm looking forward to, particularly for games. Movies for some reason I'm not all that bothered about but it will still have an effect on how I enjoy/watch a film as well (for example, I doubt I would've watched Buried at all if I'd known the ending beforehand). For example, myself and a friend from work have both completed Arkham City but have been taking lengths to avoid discussing anything around the end of the game while we're with another colleague purely because he's only halfway through and it'd be a jerk move to pull. But on the other hand, if it's a game I'd never play or a movie I'd never watch I'm in the boat where I don't mind people spoiling the ending or the big twist because I at least know what happens and the conversation can carry on.
2011-11-09, 11:32 PM #14
I just remembered which movie it was that some ******* ruined for me while standing in line at the cinema (I had to look it up in my journal). It was "The Sixth Sense" in 1999. I hope he got his. I've never been able to enjoy that movie like other people have.
2011-11-09, 11:35 PM #15
Originally posted by Deadman:
His was an accident, yours was on purpose, that isn't you getting him back that's you being an asterisks.

↑ Up to the top!