Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → PHP writing error logs in Macintosh EOL format.
PHP writing error logs in Macintosh EOL format.
2011-11-19, 4:37 PM #1
This is absolutely driving me nuts!

I just recently switched from Zend Community Server edition to XAMMP for a little more portability (keeping all my stuff on USB drive), but a problem that isn't really that big has popped up, and it's annoying me to no end and after googling for 3 hours I figured I'd ask you guys.

I use a program called Tail for Win32 to constantly monitor my logs, mostly PHP error logs. However, for some reason since I switched to using XAMPP, my error logs are using the Macintosh End of Line format.

When the log is loaded into Tail for Win32, it appears as one long line, instead of having no linebreak after each error. I can not figure out how to change this. Any advice at all would be much appreciate! :)
2011-11-19, 4:47 PM #2
It's not Mac, it's *nix (which includes OS X). I highly doubt it's writing it in the old OS 9 or earlier Mac method. :P

The first answer would naturally be to use a different program that can automatically handle all forms of line endings. The other would be to convert the logs before parsing.

I'm not particularly sure why your logs are using the incorrect format anyway, as PHP automatically uses the appropriate line ending depending on what version of PHP you're using (Windows, *nix, etc).
2011-11-19, 4:55 PM #3
Thanks Cool Matty. I thought about using a different program, but I'd still be obsessed with figuring out how to fix this problem. I was using EasyPHP for a long time, then Zend Server CE, but the problem wasn't there with those, not that it should matter really.

Really isn't making any sense.
2011-11-20, 6:23 AM #4
Can't you just write a script to insert a carriage return character in front of all the line feed characters, making them follow the windows convention?
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2011-11-20, 6:27 AM #5
Yea I suppose I could Freelancer, and will probably end up doing that. It's just bugging the living **** out of me why it wants to act like that with it's default logging behaviour.

↑ Up to the top!