Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → And thus, the final curtain begins to fall.
And thus, the final curtain begins to fall.
2011-11-21, 10:27 PM #1
Massassi is entering, or has entered about 3 years ago, it's twilight years. While this community is by no means dead, and I see no end in sight, the golden years have certainly come and gone. Without a sudden new release from LucasArts, or some sort of massive re-release, we are probably the last remnants of what was once something great.

Let us think of the past, of the time we had, the things we've seen, and the people who have come and gone.

For me, my favorite memory of this site would be waaay back when, when I still had that 300mhz pentium 2 clunker that could barely (and without 3D accel!) run Jedi Knight. My formative years were spent playing that game and I would come here on a daily basis to find and play the newest level/mod, and it was my IE 5.5 homepage for close to 5 years. I remember when I downloaded some new level set, Tales of a Mercenary or some such, and played it. It was like an entirely new game.

I remember registering on here, and being understandable heckled endlessly due to my lack of "Netiquette", it's that rough start that forced me to improve my writing style and personality on the internet. I also learned critical thinking skills and argumentive tactics from this site, as odd as that might sound.

More recently I remember when TODOA came out, after close to a decade of development. Unlike Duke Nukem Forever it actually provided the experience that was promised. It's too bad it was released late in the game and thus missed the mass acclaim it could have had were it released half a decade earlier.

I remember several "Massassi 2.0" projects, all of which have failed or stalled. I remember Recon Gamer, and I remember Brian. I also remember Sith 2.0 and how it failed due to irregulaties in the physics engine of Sith, too bad the Indiana Jones game guys put in that anti-modding clause in the EULA, what a terrible and utterly dickish move that probably forced that game into obscurity.

What do you remember, where do you think we'll go?
2011-11-21, 10:28 PM #2
this again?
woot!
2011-11-21, 10:39 PM #3
When I think of the golden years of Massassi, I can't help but drum up memories of when Tibby was banned from making threads. :P
>>untie shoes
2011-11-21, 11:25 PM #4
Originally posted by Tibby:
I remember Recon Gamer

I remember Ugo.

Quote:
and I remember Brian.

I remember Jaiph, Slug, HothRebel, and Nebula.

I also remember when Massassi was hosted by that other site and when the forums were threaded all weird. I also remember a certain April 1st and ****ting bricks when it was announced that Drazen Isle was released. I downloaded the file on my slow-ass dial up connection and was pretty pissed when it turned out to be an April Fools joke.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2011-11-21, 11:33 PM #5
and blujay and ******!

edit: rofl, still censored :awesome:
woot!
2011-11-22, 12:00 AM #6
i have to say i am strangely impressed that there are still this many active members here after this long. i mean i dont REALLY know anyone on here as i have still yet to meet anyone in person, but it is strange to think i have "known" a good number of people here longer than some of my closest friends.
I remember first coming to massassi, i think in 99 and being in absolute awe of these amazing things called mods for jedi knight, then finding out about the forums, then being terrified to even register on them... for some reason everyone was very intimidating at the time.

i also remember that to this day i STILL have not managed to actually complete and release a JK level that i have started, lol.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2011-11-22, 3:37 AM #7
Gone are the days of JKEdit debates and the Revelation of the Bear. Cave_Demon was dead, except that he wasn't and then he got "perma"banned for a 9/11 PWNED pic anyhow. There was an overdosage of GBK and someone from Finland elaborated on their displeasure of some American actions to a degree. And above all, the community wasn't the same as before. On a 100-day period, Pommy was the king of the chat whereas in 2011 most of the people from the 2002 stats aren't even around anymore.

Funnily enough, most current JK editors seem to use JKEdit these days and I'm Pugler.

Uh, I mean, Pugler hasn't been around in years. No sirree.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2011-11-22, 3:47 AM #8
Massassi is a lot quieter than it used to be for sure,

Still.... talking to some friends who also visited internet forums back in 2000, massassi is the only one still active, think that says something.
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2011-11-22, 5:01 AM #9
Originally posted by Antony:
When I think of the golden years of Massassi, I can't help but drum up memories of when Tibby was banned from making threads. :P

My first thought on seeing the title.
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2011-11-22, 9:18 AM #10
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
Funnily enough, most current JK editors seem to use JKEdit these days

yeah this is odd...
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2011-11-22, 9:34 AM #11
Gone are the days of JKEdit debates and the Revelation of the Bear. Cave_Demon was dead, except that he wasn't and then he got "perma"banned for a 9/11 PWNED pic anyhow. There was an overdosage of GBK and someone from Finland elaborated on their displeasure of some American actions to a degree. And above all, the community wasn't the same as before. On a 100-day period, Pommy was the king of the chat whereas in 2011 most of the people from the 2002 stats aren't even around anymore.

Funnily enough, most current JK editors seem to use JKEdit these days and I'm Pugler.

Hahaha one of his "solutions" was to simply ban AOL entirely, in 2002. Rather then just take 5 minutes now and then to just ban him.
2011-11-22, 12:06 PM #12
I think that, especially compared to most other online gaming communities that have come and gone, Massassi has done extremely well and still is doing well as a community.
2011-11-22, 12:33 PM #13
For sure, it's like the less people we have the harder they hold on.
We only lost one person in the last year, and are better for it.
2011-11-22, 1:08 PM #14
**** off, Tibby.
nope.
2011-11-22, 1:23 PM #15
Originally posted by poley:
Massassi is a lot quieter than it used to be for sure,

Still.... talking to some friends who also visited internet forums back in 2000, massassi is the only one still active, think that says something.

Anandtech is still around! Sharkyforums too, though I almost never go there anymore.
woot!
2011-11-22, 1:24 PM #16
In one of those links you posted, FGR..

Originally posted by Freelancer:
This is like a cotton candy shack compared to then.

Whut. ROFL
[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2011-11-22, 1:31 PM #17
Where did Emon go. Without his sharp sarcasm, Massassi grows dull around the edges.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2011-11-22, 1:34 PM #18
Yeah. :\
2011-11-22, 1:45 PM #19
END OF DAYS!
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2011-11-22, 1:48 PM #20
Originally posted by Baconfish:
**** off, Tibby.

Oww.
2011-11-22, 2:33 PM #21
I miss Ubuu and Yecti and Slug. The Forum of ****** and the Council of 13. I miss Floppy, Flexor, and Wolvie17. The Religious Forum wars, the Girls thread, and Cloud and his teacher.

But mostly I miss when the only discussion wasn't about how Massassi is dying. :p SO BACK TO OUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED PROGRAMMING.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2011-11-22, 2:34 PM #22
shut up, tibby
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2011-11-22, 3:11 PM #23
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
Where did Emon go. Without his sharp sarcasm, Massassi grows dull around the edges.

According to facebook he's off working for Microsoft and being happy.
>>untie shoes
2011-11-22, 3:19 PM #24
I still miss Kedri and his Massassi Credit Card.
"And lo, let us open up into the holy book of Proxy2..." -genk
His pot is blacker than his kettle!
2011-11-22, 3:19 PM #25

[/COLOR]
whoa you bring me back <_<

Wait you're really pugler?
一个大西瓜
2011-11-22, 3:28 PM #26
No it's me, it's obvious if you think about it.
I was also moneyobie and another one I forgot.
2011-11-22, 3:31 PM #27
I second Baconfish's motion!

jk jk just a little joke no big deal
2011-11-22, 3:41 PM #28
My god that Iraq war thread, how in the **** could anybody have been in support of it, even then.
It's the greatest achievement in propaganda in history.
2011-11-22, 3:44 PM #29
Oh sweet lord, the forums were THAT green back then?

This olive-green has been burned into my eyes.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2011-11-22, 3:48 PM #30
I've been around for over 11 years now. Actually, if you count when I first starting visiting Massassi and not just the forums, it's getting closer to 12. There have been a lot of people come and ago - on their own and not of their own choice. We've had members die. We've switched owners of the site. We have definitely chat servers more times than I can count or remember. I know a good many of us grew up while visiting this site and these forums.

Let's see, some of the people I remember were ******, Slug, Brian, blujay, Kedri, GuNbOy, Wolvie17, Flexor, MysticJupiter, NaturePaladin, Jaiph, HothRebel, Aglar, SavageX, Skimpy, and Nebula. I remember CadetLee (JLee now) starting the chat on ChatCircuit, and then we got kicked off there. I remember when many of the things that are said on here and especially in the chat would have ended in a ban. I remember there being a Massassi BBQ that didn't amount to much. I remember when the main page actually had news and levels/mods being added.

It's been a long while, that's for sure, and I think it'll be a long while still yet before it's done. I can't see it ending unless there's no one left to host/run the site, and even then, many of us will continue on Facebook/Google+.
2011-11-22, 4:09 PM #31
If we're going on the missing people train, I miss Ishi, Shintock, Katt, Schming, sane Spe, NoESC, Emon and Flexor. Oh, and Dogsrool.
nope.
2011-11-22, 4:10 PM #32
Also, because I cannot stress it enough in regular letters. MONEYOBIE.
nope.
2011-11-22, 4:15 PM #33
I would take sane or insane Spe. I enjoyed both.
>>untie shoes
2011-11-22, 4:28 PM #34
I remember downloading the latest versions of SBX (most popular JK mod of all time - I still play it) on my 56k modem. Took me about 45 minutes or something. I think I discovered massassi pretty early... must have been '98 or '99. It wasn't until 2002 or 2003 (I think) that I registered for the forums. Before that I just came here to download stuff and lurk in the showcase threads. I remember finally releasing a (pretty simple) first level on massassi and being totally pissed off when someone was ripping off my level design in some showcase thread. I remember Kirbs and MAZZTER pointing out to me that I should be glad I managed to inspire someone with a pretty crappy level. Haha... they were so right.

In 2006 I finally released a second level that to this day I'm still pretty proud of. It saw a lot of play on several dedicated servers after the zone closed down JK. The irony is that some of the best stuff I made ended up being projects that I never managed to finish. The cog thread the other day made me fish out my old projects and I've been editing ever since. (Of course, instead of finishing the old stuff, I'm starting something new and simple >.> )

I remember how George Bush and the war really split the forums. I was particularly heated about this stuff back then and got called out by people for coming off as overly anti-American. It was a moment of realizing that by only commenting on political things I was mad about, I was building a very negative online persona. I made my apologies and hope I've been a more reasonable and tolerable person since then.

I remember when there was massassi radio... I still have this mp3 of Kirbs and ZeqMacaw hosting a show somewhere on a backup.

DJ Yoshi... he could be a total ass and he could be a really cool guy at the same time. Then he screwed over mscbuck and it's just a sad story.

I remember SAJN bragging about pissing on someone's car and the mspaint drawings people made of it. Hilarious stuff.

Gold... need I say anything?

More recently, the people vs. wookie06.

Time has gone by way too fast. I feel really old thinking of that stuff.

Think I'll go slit my wrists now.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2011-11-22, 4:30 PM #35
BAN TIBBY [/B][/COLOR]
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2011-11-22, 4:31 PM #36
Oh **** I forgot about SAJN pissing on the car. That'll be a wonderful thing to bring up the next time he comes back to let us know how he's doing as serj's lapdog.
>>untie shoes
2011-11-22, 5:34 PM #37
I really like sajn.
nope.
2011-11-22, 5:36 PM #38
He *did* come back a few weeks ago, and he didn't mention Serj, Antony :P
2011-11-22, 5:52 PM #39
Massassi has been going downhill since the spooky taco thread got deleted. :(
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2011-11-22, 6:12 PM #40
I MISS YOU TOO!!!! A friend was around the forums and mentioned to me that I was mentioned! I'm still aliveeeee! I still remember you! and everyone in your list! and SarnCadrill! I'm in med school now, so a bit busy; gaming has gone down on the priority list a bit :(

Still happens during christmas break every year tho! Hope you all are doing absolutely wonderfully!!

Originally posted by Zecks:
I've been around for over 11 years now. Actually, if you count when I first starting visiting Massassi and not just the forums, it's getting closer to 12. There have been a lot of people come and ago - on their own and not of their own choice. We've had members die. We've switched owners of the site. We have definitely chat servers more times than I can count or remember. I know a good many of us grew up while visiting this site and these forums.

Let's see, some of the people I remember were ******, Slug, Brian, blujay, Kedri, GuNbOy, Wolvie17, Flexor, MysticJupiter, NaturePaladin, Jaiph, HothRebel, Aglar, SavageX, Skimpy, and Nebula. I remember CadetLee (JLee now) starting the chat on ChatCircuit, and then we got kicked off there. I remember when many of the things that are said on here and especially in the chat would have ended in a ban. I remember there being a Massassi BBQ that didn't amount to much. I remember when the main page actually had news and levels/mods being added.

It's been a long while, that's for sure, and I think it'll be a long while still yet before it's done. I can't see it ending unless there's no one left to host/run the site, and even then, many of us will continue on Facebook/Google+.
[teletubbie voice] BIG HUG!!!! [/teletubbie voice]

↑ Up to the top!