Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I Quit
I Quit
2011-12-06, 3:37 PM #1
No, this thread's not about me quitting my job or leaving the forums. I'm currently in processing of quitting smoking cigarettes. I'm using one of those electronic cigarettes and sheer force of will. I just started last night using only the e-cig when I need to, and I guess it's going alright, although I'd much rather have the real thing right now.

I've been smoking for about 3 years, and I generally smoke a pack or so a day. Anyone else kicked the habit?
2011-12-06, 4:00 PM #2
I'm a hipster I guess... I kicked the habit before I ever even started it.
2011-12-06, 4:05 PM #3
I come from a family where my mom smokes, my stepdad smokes, my dad smoked (while he was alive), my brother smokes, and my other brother smokes cigars. Kind of a smoking family.
2011-12-06, 5:36 PM #4
Mmmm cigarettes... Still going strong!

I did quit meth a couple times though.
2011-12-06, 8:31 PM #5
How was the meth?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2011-12-06, 8:57 PM #6
I should probably get around to quitting smoking, but I'm still having enough fun trying to not drink all the time.
>>untie shoes
2011-12-06, 9:09 PM #7
You're trying to get away from the feeling of that hot smoke filling up your lungs with every drag? The surge of nicotine that courses through your veins satiating your desires and bringing you relief?
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2011-12-06, 9:24 PM #8
You are a bad person.
2011-12-07, 3:42 AM #9
Grats, Zecks.
Here's an infographic about the benefits you get, in case you feel like all the suffering is for nothing.

-Sadly, that's all I really got to offer aside from bland motivation.
2011-12-07, 6:44 AM #10
Good luck man. I'm going to be trying to quit soon too (pregnant girlfriend). But I'll never give up the trees.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2011-12-07, 6:56 AM #11
Originally posted by zanardi:
Good luck man. I'm going to be trying to quit soon too (pregnant girlfriend). But I'll never give up the trees.

Those trees aren't good for you man..holding all that smoke in, I look at my roommates spoof in disgust because the end has turned all gunky and brown, i can only imagine his lungs
2011-12-07, 7:19 AM #12
Yeah I want to start eating them rather than smoking. But vaporizing it is better.
2011-12-07, 7:57 AM #13
I stopped smoking weed for like a month once. Never picked up cigarettes or other tobacco products though.
"Honey, you got real ugly."
2011-12-07, 8:02 AM #14
Good Luck, Zecks! Keep us posted on how you do.
2011-12-07, 9:43 AM #15
i have a friend who basically quit smoking by making use of e-cigarettes, it has been going really well apparently (she still uses the e-cig, but is literally just smoking flavored water vapor). you can gradually decrease you nicotine intake down to ...well, zero... all the while you still have the familiarity of the "motions" of smoking. good luck to you sir!
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2011-12-07, 6:03 PM #16
I stopped weed several months ago, after using it to help with some pain and sleeping problems I had. Went to the doctor about it recently and underwent several tests. Turns out I have fibromyalgia.
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2011-12-07, 6:51 PM #17
Some people just make smoking look so cool, despite the fact it is basically looked down on in culture now, but when I watch the x-files and the cigarette smoking man lights one up in the shadows, it just makes me want to go out and buy a pack
2011-12-07, 7:16 PM #18
James Dean invented making smoking look cool.
>>untie shoes
2011-12-07, 11:49 PM #19
Similar boat myself there. The woman I'm moving in with soon doesn't smoke. And doesn't really like my cigarette habit. So I've been cutting back in preparation. I'm still going to be smoking my tobacco pipe though.

Screw quitting that. I like it too much.
"Hello one day ban." ~ Baconfish
>Liberius when he's not on Massassi<
2011-12-08, 6:13 AM #20
Oh man! Best of luck!! We're all rooting for you!
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2011-12-08, 2:26 PM #21
Good luck, Zecks. I still think you should try to associate smoking with something disgusting (like dip the cig in rotten meat)...
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2011-12-08, 2:41 PM #22
Same here, about a pack a day. Only for something closer to 13 years rather than 3. So, how about this. I'll join your worthy escapade. If you cave, you have to hit yourself in the balls as hard as you can. If I cave, same. The pipe and magic cigarettes don't count. :)
幻術
2011-12-08, 3:18 PM #23
Unfortunately, it looks like quitting isn't going to happen right now. I've been dealing with a lot of anxiety issues for a while, and I thought quitting would help. About 25 hours since I'd had my last "real" cigarette, I began having really bad issues with the anxiety and that ended that attempt. I'm going to have to see a doctor about dealing with this anxiety before I will be able to quit. It will happen, though!

Sorry to disappoint.
2011-12-08, 7:48 PM #24
Anxiety attacks? Just jerk off to release the tension.

It helped me to escape from my cronic addiction to mastur-wait a minute.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2011-12-08, 8:58 PM #25
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
Anxiety attacks? Just jerk off to release the tension.

Ultimate cure
2011-12-09, 6:51 AM #26
Originally posted by Zecks:
Unfortunately, it looks like quitting isn't going to happen right now. I've been dealing with a lot of anxiety issues for a while, and I thought quitting would help. About 25 hours since I'd had my last "real" cigarette, I began having really bad issues with the anxiety and that ended that attempt. I'm going to have to see a doctor about dealing with this anxiety before I will be able to quit. It will happen, though!

Sorry to disappoint.

Smoke marijuana. Get a vaporizer.
2011-12-09, 7:00 AM #27
I "quit" smoking cigarettes a few years ago, cold-turkey. I put the word in quotations because I will occasionally enjoy a cigarette in a social atmosphere if one is offered to me.
? :)
2011-12-11, 6:08 PM #28
The best way to stop smoking cigarettes is to start smoking weed. It worked for Kevin Smith...

Really though, smoke while you can. Pretty soon it will be illegal, just like prostitution is now illegal.

**** it, you only live once, mind as well enjoy it. Besides, if you quit smoking what are you gunna do when you drink coffee? Or get drunk?

Truth time. I think the only way to really quit smoking is to quit cold turkey. Thats the only real way to quit anything.
" I am the Lizard King, I can do anyhthing... "
2011-12-11, 6:39 PM #29
Originally posted by Darth_Xasthur:
The best way to stop smoking cigarettes is to start smoking weed. It worked for Kevin Smith...

Yeah. Stop an addiction by starting an illegal habit. Brilliant.

Quote:
Really though, smoke while you can. Pretty soon it will be illegal, just like prostitution is now illegal.

You say "is now" like prostitution just recently became illegal. And I'm not sure what foundation you have at all to base your claims on. So please explain that.

Quote:
**** it, you only live once, mind as well enjoy it. Besides, if you quit smoking what are you gunna do when you drink coffee? Or get drunk?

Well let's see... if you're not smoking when you drink coffee or get drunk... you'll probably just drink coffee and get drunk. There are a lot of people who drink coffee and alcohol and don't smoke cigarettes.

Quote:
Truth time. I think the only way to really quit smoking is to quit cold turkey. Thats the only real way to quit anything.

And you're wrong again. Plenty of people quit things in other ways. On the other hand, you should quit posting on these forums using the cold turkey method.
>>untie shoes
2011-12-12, 8:06 AM #30
Quote:
Yeah. Stop an addiction by starting an illegal habit. Brilliant.

You really still take marijuana laws seriously?
2011-12-12, 8:16 AM #31
I generally take all laws that can result in jail time if broken seriously. I don't really think marijuana should be illegal, but it is.
>>untie shoes
2011-12-13, 3:44 PM #32
I smoked cigarettes and weed at the same time. Sometimes literally. I don't see how one excludes the other...
2011-12-14, 5:36 PM #33
Coincidentally, I haven't had a cig in 36 hours.

↑ Up to the top!