Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Job Search Advice (Part II) and Who You Know
Job Search Advice (Part II) and Who You Know
2011-12-13, 6:39 PM #1
Hey, remember me? I only ever take from this community. Take, take, take. Give sarcastic political comment. Take take take. Well, here I am again.

I just applied for a job and via facebook/linkedin creeping have discovered that I am probably applying for a position that one of my graduating classmates in college was just promoted out of. Is it weird or out of line to contact this person for advice or help getting the job? She was only an acquaintance, but it was a small school in the university and we had most classes together, so it's not like we're strangers. She was one of the top people in the class (you know, all the best scholarships, all the best grades, member of all the right groups) and I, admittedly, was a bit of an underachiever and outsider until it was too late. I got very good grades in all our classes, though, so she might be aware of my intelligence/abilities.

Anyway, point being, I don't want to put her on the spot or into an awkward situation, but obviously I need all the help I can get as far as getting a position like this goes, with my lackluster resume. Do you think it is inappropriate to contact her?

Section II: Everyone else discuss people you vaguely know who are in admirable positions. I apparently went to school with Emma Stone, and one of the people I went to high school with is now a highly rated published author with a book and movie deal with disney. I eat tortillas as meals and carefully dismantle my potential and reassemble it in the form of failure. But their things are neat, too.
Warhead[97]
2011-12-13, 7:30 PM #2
if you think it will help get you the job, do it.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2011-12-13, 7:38 PM #3
Originally posted by BobTheMasher:
Section II: Everyone else discuss people you vaguely know who are in admirable positions. I apparently went to school with Emma Stone, and one of the people I went to high school with is now a highly rated published author with a book and movie deal with disney. I eat tortillas as meals and carefully dismantle my potential and reassemble it in the form of failure. But their things are neat, too.

I used to sleep with a runway model. That was cool.
>>untie shoes
2011-12-13, 8:07 PM #4
I don't have anyone like that to talk about.

I am the one they talk about when having discussions similar to this with their pathetic friends.
2011-12-13, 8:17 PM #5
They must be really pathetic if they sit around saying "I know this mailman with a grass floor. He has a really impressive life."
>>untie shoes
2011-12-13, 8:32 PM #6
You have a grass floor? That's -so- awesome!
2011-12-14, 4:30 AM #7
Most of my friends have just graduated during the summer, so there's nothing that impressive apart from a girl I knew all through school that's signed to Kate Moss' modelling agency. Kinda neat.

[http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-ash1/v334/95/116/823705542/n823705542_4342131_2474.jpg]
nope.
2011-12-14, 4:31 AM #8
If this girl is merely an acquaintance, as you've described, you have nothing to lose. I found this to be an interesting look in to the world of bull****ting & networking. He took some chances that would've made most of us cringe & he's reaping the rewards.
? :)
2011-12-14, 4:41 AM #9
An acquaintance of mine is a published author that works in a nature reserve & spends most of his free time hiking & camping. I must admit that I'm a bit envious, considering that he's living the life that I once & sometimes still desire. However, my life is going very well at the moment & I rarely have regrets.
2011-12-14, 9:49 AM #10
I'm out of work and pretty much unemployable. I have lots of regrets.
2011-12-14, 4:49 PM #11
Originally posted by Baconfish:
Most of my friends have just graduated during the summer, so there's nothing that impressive apart from a girl I knew all through school that's signed to Kate Moss' modelling agency. Kinda neat.

Pics plz....oh wait. You're on top of things.
Warhead[97]
2011-12-14, 4:54 PM #12
I picked one of the less revealing ones because that made me feel like less of a creep.
nope.
2011-12-14, 6:24 PM #13
Post them damn you
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2011-12-14, 6:43 PM #14
Yeah! How else will we find pictures of women on the internet?
2011-12-14, 6:53 PM #15
I know too many models I used to date. Damnit.
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2011-12-22, 4:55 AM #16
I think it's completely appropriate and acceptable to contact her in these circumstances. To approach her, you can phrase it quite openly that you'd like to discuss the position with her, find out more what it was like (as you can never really gauge a job until you're in it). Once you're in a dialogue, ask whether there is anything in particular that they will be looking for, that you can work on ahead of an interview.

And just include a get out clause in case she doesn't think it's appropriate - it's up to her, after all
<spe> maevie - proving dykes can't fly

<Dor> You're levelling up and gaining more polys!
2011-12-22, 5:57 AM #17
Also, if you're single (or not, depending on your particular brand of morality), once you have the job, ask her out, if she's single (or not, depending on your particular brand of morality) & sleep your way to success.
2011-12-22, 7:02 PM #18
I like that plan! Maevie's, not Mentat's...although I don't have a problem with Mentat's either... (she does have a boyfriend).

Seems like I'll give it a try! Too bad it's christmas time and nothing is getting done anywhere!
Warhead[97]

↑ Up to the top!