Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → something just HAD to bring my new computer joy down a bit
something just HAD to bring my new computer joy down a bit
2011-12-16, 9:51 AM #1
anyone who looked at the free computer thread after it was over knows i got one...

well my wireless adapter (Linksys WUSB54GC) which worked flawlessly in XP and Ubuntu and once i got it working in Vista worked fine for a couple hours then just as I started up some downloads in Steam it gave me a "Limited Connectivity" message, rebooted the PC and within 5 minutes it did it again (right after starting up my Steam downloads)

right now i'm using a wireless b "gaming adapter" (cheap little wireless ethernet bridge) and my download speeds are being cut in half which really blows when trying to download games that are 4-8GB each and on top of that it's the device i normally have connected to my xbox

so i'm looking for suggestions for a nice cheap wireless g compatible usb adapter that works reliably in Vista (64bit)

also it appears the CPU overclock has reverted back to stock I've never messed with overclocking on anything but video cards so any info on how to get that overclock back (it was at 4GHz)
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2011-12-16, 10:10 AM #2
Damn, I packed that one up so long ago it's tough to remember specifics. Are you sure it's back at 3.0ghz?, some utilities tend to read the CPU and assume it's stock and report 3.0ghz. I think CPU-Z is installed on there in the Utilities folder, check with that. You will probably have to put the CPU under load since I'm pretty sure speedstep was still enabled.

If you really are back at 3.0, I do remember that motherboard made overclocking very easy- it allowed you to overclock FSB separately from memory speed. So stock FSB would be 333x9=3.0ghz, increasing to 445x9= 4.0ghz. To get 4.0ghz stable pretty sure I had to use 1.3v for the CPU voltage. Just incase something happened during shipping with the CPU cooler, don't try for 4.0ghz in one shot. Try a few intermediate spots in between. I think I have Speedfan installed on there to monitor temps, if not it was some program specific to the motherboard.

Good Luck. (Worst case scenario- 3.0ghz still isnt too shabby)
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2011-12-16, 10:29 AM #3
You lost me at Vista :(
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2011-12-16, 1:23 PM #4
"New Computer"..."Vista"
Oh, one of the free ones.
Throw Win7 on it and see if it works, if all else fails atleast you aren't running vista!
2011-12-16, 3:35 PM #5
Originally posted by Tibby:
"New Computer"..."Vista"
Oh, one of the free ones.
Throw Win7 on it and see if it works, if all else fails atleast you aren't running vista!

i love how people who are ****ing retarded, gbk, and meth addicts ignore the word cheap and suggest either Win7 or some overly expensive adapter

Windows 7 will happen eventually but i need a NOW and CHEAP fix so i can have the bandwidth i pay for on my PC and get my gaming adapter hooked back up to the xbox so i can get on live
2011-12-16, 3:52 PM #6
gbk hasn't posted in this thread.
also you are mean, jesus christ. "Person suggests a thing" "NO **** YOU ~literally ****s on keyboard~"
Just go buy one from best buy.
2011-12-16, 4:05 PM #7
gbk suggested some overpriced thing in the chat, and i'm only mean when people waste my time with unhelpful suggestions... and i'm mean to you because you're a moron
2011-12-16, 4:56 PM #8
If you have a pci-e slot open: http://www.amazon.com/PCE-N15-performance-Wireless-N-Transmit-interface/dp/B0054L9PWO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1324083362&sr=8-2

o.0
2011-12-16, 5:13 PM #9
I have no recommendations, I usually just get the cheapest possible and hope it works. You tried your existing one in different USB ports?
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2011-12-16, 5:32 PM #10
Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
gbk suggested some overpriced thing in the chat, and i'm only mean when people waste my time with unhelpful suggestions... and i'm mean to you because you're a moron

I like a guy who calls it like he sees it.
>>untie shoes
2011-12-17, 7:57 AM #11
Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
gbk suggested some overpriced thing in the chat

$100 is overpriced? Get a job, you bum.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2011-12-17, 8:06 AM #12
for a wireless usb adapter ... YES

i'd like to know what you do for a living where $100 qualifies as cheap

if i was going to spend $100 i'd just get windows 7

of course funny development... i buy a cheap one that isn't loaded down with reviews talking about driver problems and it starts working again and has yet to fail...
2011-12-17, 9:36 AM #13
You should just go with something like this http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2893259&CatId=2691
2011-12-17, 2:26 PM #14
I bought a $40 Belkin adapter from Walmart and have never had problems with it.
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2011-12-17, 7:45 PM #15
Originally posted by zanardi:

i had that same one before i got the linksys adapter i have now... always had problems with random disconnects always got really hot, then one day up and overheated so bad it fried itself
2011-12-17, 7:54 PM #16
What are you doing that makes these... heat up?
I used one on an old laptop for a while and was doing heavy ****, it never heated at all.
2011-12-17, 7:56 PM #17
it's possible i just had a defective one... but that's what happened to it
2011-12-19, 7:02 AM #18
How far is the PC away from the router? Can you just hard wire it?
2011-12-19, 12:15 PM #19
Originally posted by zanardi:
How far is the PC away from the router? Can you just hard wire it?

separate rooms on same side of house, i'm not drilling into my walls, and i'm not running a wire around the edge of the door frames

when i had the walls torn up to put in insulation i probably should have considered setting it up so i could just hard wire it... would have freed up a usb port and got rid of the random house phone messing up my wifi problems

↑ Up to the top!