Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Has anyone here played The Old Republic?
Has anyone here played The Old Republic?
2011-12-28, 2:15 PM #41
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
You don't need to be forced, but you should be given the option.

You are given the option. It's called a manual.

Thing is, you then don't have time to read what the hell it's prompting you to do (which, may I remind you, is not even obvious, it's a little indicator in the corner which you can easily miss for the first few battles). And I totally, definitely died in the starting area because of it.

It's one fight.... are you honestly gonna stop playing cause you died once?

I was getting my ass handed to me because, shocker, I had no idea the cover system even existed, so I had no reason to look into it!

How do you expect people to learn to play the game when there is no obvious indicator to how you're supposed to play it? Avoiding a tutorial is fantastic if your gameplay is simple and easy to understand. But since this is an MMO, that's about as far from the truth as you can get. Combine that with the fact that you're in the newbie area, so getting help from anyone else is basically a crapshoot.

There is an obvious indicator. (for imperial agent, at least)

This is as far from the truth as you can get. I played the game for two hours and already had a long ass list of complaints, which I posted in the beta thread. It is seriously not hard to find things wrong with this game.

That's certainly not how it's coming across... especially when the things you pointed out are so minor or, from what I've seen, aren't true now. After all, it WAS a beta when you played it.

Frankly, among all the good things said about the game in here, it's been those who like the story that seems most prevalent. Which just blows my mind, because it implies a complete lack of foresight into the game months from now. You and I both know they're not going to add new story content on a rapid enough basis to keep it interesting (it's never, ever happened in any MMO), so you know you're going to get tired of the story. Even if you love it. This is what makes me go "wtf" the most about those who do like it, for the sake of the story.

The story isn't all there is to it. The story is great while your leveling but once you hit max level, you start hitting end game content.

(And of course that's ignoring the other problem, which is the story is actually pretty awful. Or maybe to be fair, the way the story is told makes it awful.)

That's your opinion.
2011-12-29, 1:41 AM #42
I don't know what the hell is wrong with some of these people. I'm absolutely loving this game. I've played an Inquistor and a Bounty Hunter so far and both are awesome. I've been so engage in the story I don't even want to skip the cutscenes. The voice acting is excellent. There is of course all the typical MMO stuff but the story has me involved in this game more than any other MMO I've played. I dont just want to hit accept on a bunch of quest and have no idea what I'm doing.. I want to know WHY I'm doing those quests. BioWare has put out yet another awesome game. I do hate EA though.
2011-12-29, 8:16 AM #43
Originally posted by MysteriousSith:
I don't know what the hell is wrong with some of these people.

Absolutely nothing, actually.
2011-12-29, 8:40 AM #44
Absolutely nothing, actually.

I will agree with CM on this. This is the Massassi norm.
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2011-12-29, 9:38 AM #45
There has to be some people who like TOR, otherwise it would have failed in beta. It is a major MMO production, so it's not the worst MMO in existence. There will certainly be a few (insane) people who like it. But like all MMOs, that number will shrink rapidly over the coming months. I already posted my thoughts, if people think it's worth that kind of money to experiment, who am I to judge?
2011-12-29, 9:43 AM #46
Originally posted by MysteriousSith:
I don't know what the hell is wrong with some of these people.

CM's tragic flaw is an inability to comprehend other people liking things he doesn't like. ;)
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2011-12-29, 11:48 AM #47
I've already got many more hours of entertainment out of this game then I have with most typical games that come out on the market (minus Skyrim) so yeah.. I would totally pay that amount of money for it.
2011-12-29, 11:52 AM #48
Originally posted by Michael MacFarlane:
CM's tragic flaw is an inability to comprehend other people liking things he doesn't like. ;)

It's not an an inability to comprehend. I gave up on the human race a long time ago. ;)
2012-01-15, 5:47 AM #49
At the risk of ultranecro. I caved (a good friend plays and I'm a social-gaming-h0r) and now have a cyborg smuggler on Candarous Ordo named Nataraja if anyone's in that area.
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2012-01-15, 6:55 AM #50
Wow, everyone I know plays on Canderous Ordo. I don't have the game myself... no time for an MMO.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2012-01-15, 3:08 PM #51
I play on Canderous Ordo. Got a sith maurader on that server named Exodius.
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2012-01-16, 1:01 PM #52
I'm envious of those of you that have the time to play games like this. I had a blast with EverQuest, Dark Age of Camelot & World of Warcraft but I just can't allow myself to get sucked in to another game like that, despite how much fun I'm sure it would be.
? :)
2012-01-16, 9:09 PM #53
I'm on Rakata Mind playing as a Dark Jedi Knight. I'm level 38 now, and I can't seem to get enough. I put in at least an hour a day. Weekends usually like 5.
Completely Overrated Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comple...59732330769611
A community dedicated to discussing all things entertainment.
2012-01-16, 11:03 PM #54
Online gaming: chasing carrots and loving life in the Skinner box.
2012-01-16, 11:22 PM #55
Online gaming: Better than being on meth.
>>untie shoes
2012-01-16, 11:26 PM #56
My agent gets all the ladies.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2012-01-17, 5:51 AM #57
Originally posted by Mentat:
I'm envious of those of you that have the time to play games like this.

As am I... :( I actually wanted to play this 2-3 hours a week and make story-like blog posts detailing the adventures of my MC, but since I would only have that much time to play, it's just not financially viable... If I could pay by the hour instead of having a 2 month expiration date (meaning about 16 hours of gameplay for me at best), I'd get it. Otherwise... Meh.
幻術
2012-01-17, 6:39 AM #58
Originally posted by Jon`C:
I would, but it would violate three of my most important rules:

- Never buy an EA game.
- Never buy a Bioware game made after Jade Empire.
- Never buy a MMORPG made by a first-time developer.

You never played Dragon Age: Origins? That game was pretty legit.
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.
2012-01-17, 6:52 AM #59
I don't think he played Mass Effect, either... Shame, really.
幻術
2012-01-18, 2:08 PM #60
Originally posted by Outlaw Torn:
I play on Canderous Ordo. Got a sith maurader on that server named Exodius.

Spiff. I have a tiny (level 3 since I mostly play my smuggler) chiss BH named Uller on that side.
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2012-01-18, 3:18 PM #61
I have never, ever played an MMO till this past Saturday. It was LOTRO. It's fun, it's alright. I don't particularly see the appeal of MMOs vs. SP games, though. One is about as good as the other, except one of them relies on a very tenuous Net connection, and the other doesn't, LOL.

I would like to play TOR at some point, just cuz I am a huge KotOR fan. The gameplay's very different, of course (which I find too bad), but I am such a big fan (of KotOR specifically, Star Wars in general, and even Bioware though I'm a bit burned out on some of their most recent games) I'd like to give it a try.

And yeah, the fact that it's meant as the next KotOR is the only reason I'm trying it. I want to see the story, and I want to see if the combat and gameplay is as enjoyable as the KotORs. [shrug]

↑ Up to the top!