Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → MY MONEY! (allcaps, nocaps, whate'er)
MY MONEY! (allcaps, nocaps, whate'er)
2012-01-11, 11:46 AM #1
Need laptop for video and audio editing. Thinking of getting Lenovo W510. Just wondering if anyone here has any dealbreakers I don't know about for either Lenovo mobile workstations, or if there is some sort of crazy technology on the horizon that should cause me to wait on this purchase.

Thanks.

P.S. Massassi didn't load for me the other day and I almost cried. I hope I always, always have this place to come back to.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2012-01-11, 12:09 PM #2
Ban Spook!
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2012-01-11, 2:08 PM #3
the touchpads on them is textured. its kinda wierd.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2012-01-11, 3:37 PM #4
I've been really enjoying my Lenovo laptop, and now more folks in my family are buying them too. Georgia Tech uses them as their recommended provider, and a family friend who leads IT for another college in GA recommends them as well.
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2012-01-11, 3:54 PM #5
I've got a W520 and it's lovely.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2012-01-11, 8:33 PM #6
I've eyeballing the X220 for some time, but I wish it came with a dedicated graphic card. That would help with AutoCAD and Solidworks.

A lot of engineering students carry Thinkpads with some of the Chinese students using older IBM Thinkpad models. (T60?)
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2012-01-11, 8:35 PM #7
Shut it soyboy.

I've had thinkpads in the past for light use and always liked them on a superficial level. Thanks for the input guys, and if anyone has any more thoughts please chime in!
2012-01-11, 8:36 PM #8
Echoman, since Spook is so boring, please tell me more about your educaprogram. You are doing civil engineering? Architectural engineering?

Spook I honestly miss you and love you please stick around more ok?
2012-01-11, 8:38 PM #9
Soyboy? SOYBOY??
2012-01-11, 9:24 PM #10
If you're editing HD (probably 5D stuff I assume), a laptop with a quad core CPU will get you by but would be too sluggish for my tastes. If you're editing RED stuff, just build a desktop.
"I'm afraid of OC'ing my video card. You never know when Ogre Calling can go terribly wrong."
2012-01-11, 9:36 PM #11
soyboy is soy boy, not echo boy, get over yourself.

Yeah, I actually shoot on a 60d (I like the smaller sensor better) but it's the same. People seem to be doing okay on equivalent macbooks? If I'm doing anything sizable on the notebook, I will probably set up proxy files and go back online with the source when I render. I have a desktop that is fairly adequate (needs help to do 2k and up) and my plan is to do the bulk of my editing, rough cuts etc. especially for school on the laptop, and use my desktop for a render station to keep my notebook free. Not actually sure if this will be a reasonable workflow at all, but it's what I have in my head right now. I also have a much nicer, color accurate n all that jazz monitor on my desktop, so I'll probably do all of my coloring on that.

sabre, maybe I'll come around a little more. I think my existential crisis has leveled out and my anxiety no longer prohibits me from using internets. much luvs
2012-01-12, 9:38 AM #12
[http://i.imgur.com/dfSe4.jpg]
All I could think of.
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2012-01-12, 10:42 AM #13
Call J G Wentworth! 8-7-7 CASH NOW!
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2012-01-12, 2:52 PM #14
I have an annuity but I need cash now.
2012-01-12, 2:58 PM #15
Call J.G. Wentworth. 877-CASH-NOW.
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2012-01-12, 4:12 PM #16
Originally posted by Spook:
Yeah, I actually shoot on a 60d (I like the smaller sensor better) but it's the same. People seem to be doing okay on equivalent macbooks? If I'm doing anything sizable on the notebook, I will probably set up proxy files and go back online with the source when I render. I have a desktop that is fairly adequate (needs help to do 2k and up) and my plan is to do the bulk of my editing, rough cuts etc. especially for school on the laptop, and use my desktop for a render station to keep my notebook free. Not actually sure if this will be a reasonable workflow at all, but it's what I have in my head right now. I also have a much nicer, color accurate n all that jazz monitor on my desktop, so I'll probably do all of my coloring on that.

That sounds awesome to me. I don't have experience doing proxy files with Final Cut, but Avid is practically made for doing offline edits and relinking media for online editing. I would suggest buying an IPS LCD monitor for your desktop (for color accuracy and gamut), and you got your own little post house.
"I'm afraid of OC'ing my video card. You never know when Ogre Calling can go terribly wrong."
2012-01-13, 8:26 AM #17
I'm going to be using premiere, simply because I will also be using after effects, photoshop, and illustrator, and it's way less of a pain. Final Cut x is gimped, and avid, well, I'm just not there yet, and don't plan on ever becoming a professional editor.

Right now I have http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/597857-REG/NEC_LCD2690WUXI2_BK_MultiSync_2690WUXi2_25_5_Widescreen.html which is nice, though I haven't yet worked out all the kinks (weird artifiacts during video playback).

↑ Up to the top!