Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Sherlock
Sherlock
2012-01-16, 8:13 PM #1
Anyone watch this BBC series, its incredible, Steven Moffat (current Executive Producer for Doctor Who) and Mark Grattis (DW writer and actor) are the producers.

The 2nd season just ended on sunday. There are currently two seasons, each containing 3 one and half hour episodes. The format may seem weird, but it really helps expand each story.

It is different in the fact its set in modern times and very refreshing. Most of the episodes are either heavily or loosely based on the actual Doyle stories and just translated into the 21st century.

The last finale was stunning, anyone watch? I highly recommend.
2012-01-16, 8:19 PM #2
yeah
2012-01-16, 11:00 PM #3
I just watched season 1 on Netflix this week. Was hooked pretty much immediately.

I hear Jekyll is similarly good- can anyone confirm this? I'll probably check it out on Netflix soon as well... (apparently it has Wedge in it!)
2012-01-17, 6:40 AM #4
Series 2's finale was amazing.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2012-01-17, 6:50 AM #5
I saw the first couple of episodes and, in all honesty, thought it was crap. On a mildly related note, however, the new Guy Ritchie movie (Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows) was freaking awesome.
幻術
2012-01-17, 7:03 AM #6
I like both for different reasons. I like the kinetic feel of the Guy Ritchie movies. I like the BBC one because its more puzzle, mystery-based.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2012-01-17, 8:16 AM #7
'Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows' is one of those rare occassions I liked a sequel better than the original.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2012-01-17, 9:58 AM #8
I watched it for the first time last week [Baskervilles] and I wasn't too sure just how much I liked it. Saw the last one on Sunday and it was better but I'm still not sure.
nope.
2012-01-17, 10:32 AM #9
Probably one of my favorite shows on TV right now. It's fantastic. I'm glad Moffat didn't give the Doctor role to Cumberbatch and instead gave him Holmes.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2012-01-17, 11:05 AM #10
Just learned yesterday that apparently Cumberbatch is going to be in the next Star Trek movie as well.

Edit: And he's the voice of Smaug in The Hobbit!
2012-01-17, 12:55 PM #11
I <3 sherlock.

caught it last year and this year through....means.

also, Jekyll is really awesome, except like the last episode. i really liked the actor who played jekyll as well.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2012-01-17, 1:13 PM #12
Originally posted by DSettahr:
Edit: And he's the voice of Smaug in The Hobbit!

Just realized that this could make the scenes with both Bilbo and Smaug kind of funny...
2012-01-17, 2:57 PM #13
cumberbatch
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2012-01-17, 3:35 PM #14
Just go done watching the three episodes they have on Netflix, I liked it alot. Can't wait to see more.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2012-01-17, 6:25 PM #15
Originally posted by Tracer:
cumberbatch

seconded
2012-01-17, 6:37 PM #16
Anyone else notice the part where Holmes quotes "When you have removed the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the solution?" And Watson attributes this quote to Spock? Which is true in a way... Spock does say this line in Star Trek 6, but he attributes it to an ancestor of his (Holmes).

Pretty funny... but just thinking about the implications of this makes my head hurt...
2012-01-17, 7:14 PM #17
I liked Guy Ritchies first SHs movie but did not like the second one. The first and last half an hour were alright, but the middle was just so over done and over dramatic...too much slow motion...the idea that an entire german assault force and flak cannons cant blow up sherlock or watson just killed the realism..and Don Giovanni was something out of Amadeus, where it should have stayed.

Anyway, theories about Season 2 finale?
2012-01-17, 8:49 PM #18

Only went and met him didn't I :D
Magrucko Daines and the Crypt of Crola (2007)
Magrucko Daines and the Dark Youth (2010)
Magrucko Daines and the Vertical City (2016)
2012-01-17, 9:29 PM #19
^ Dear god, he is touching you, that picture is so sex
2012-01-18, 10:01 AM #20
Originally posted by Ford:
I <3 sherlock.

caught it last year and this year through....means.

also, Jekyll is really awesome, except like the last episode. i really liked the actor who played jekyll as well.

caught it last year and this year through....means

....means

Subtle, that. I have absolutely no idea what you are referring to.

Also, re: Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows, is this the sequel to the Robert Downey Jr. movie?

I'm so out of touch I don't even know what touch is...
2012-01-18, 11:00 AM #21
Originally posted by DSettahr:
Anyone else notice the part where Holmes quotes "When you have removed the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the solution?" And Watson attributes this quote to Spock? Which is true in a way... Spock does say this line in Star Trek 6, but he attributes it to an ancestor of his (Holmes).

Pretty funny... but just thinking about the implications of this makes my head hurt...

I just watched this last night. I don't think he was attributing the quote to Spock, but rather commenting on Sherlock's 'emotional' state.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2012-01-18, 2:06 PM #22
Originally posted by EAH_TRISCUIT:
'Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows' is one of those rare occassions I liked a sequel better than the original.

I know, right? Amazing. Also, Noomi Rapace and Sherlock Holmes in the same flick. What more could you ask for?

Also, the Sherlock series has blown me away. I was pretty suspicious about the modernization at first but I have no regrets now. Also, not gonna lie, Reichenbach make me bawl my eyes out regardless of which adaptation. :o
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2012-01-18, 2:55 PM #23
Originally posted by Dormouse:
Also, not gonna lie, Reichenbach make me bawl my eyes out regardless of which adaptation. :o

The only thing I know about Reichenbach Falls is Alan Moore's rendition of it in the LXG comics. How does it really go, in the Doyle stories???
2012-01-18, 3:03 PM #24
Originally posted by Al Ciao:
The only thing I know about Reichenbach Falls is Alan Moore's rendition of it in the LXG comics. How does it really go, in the Doyle stories???

RTFM.
http://www.mysterynet.com/holmes/24finalproblem/
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2012-01-18, 3:21 PM #25
Aha. Thanks. =)
2012-01-18, 3:36 PM #26
Originally posted by EAH_TRISCUIT:
I just watched this last night. I don't think he was attributing the quote to Spock, but rather commenting on Sherlock's 'emotional' state.

Maybe. Spock says the exact same line in Star Trek 6 though. Plus it's a line that Sherlock Holmes originally said. Too much of a coincidence not to be intentional, I think.

↑ Up to the top!