Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Avoid the ghetto APP?
Avoid the ghetto APP?
2012-01-19, 9:59 AM #1
What the hell? Lol.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2088667/Critics-say-Microsoft-Avoid-Ghetto-app-damage-economies-poor-communities.html
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2012-01-19, 10:03 AM #2
****ing white people
"Honey, you got real ugly."
2012-01-19, 10:36 AM #3
Why is this even news? All it does is just offer routes around dangerous areas. It's something I do manually all the time, so why is having an app a bad idea?
2012-01-19, 11:02 AM #4
How is this racist? The only way this is racist is if being a violent individual is part of a particular race's proud heritage. That's an awful implication to make in defense of minority groups. "Avoiding violent parts of town" does not mean "avoiding black/hispanic parts of town," even if that's the functional result. Also, the argument that it is going to hurt businesses in underprivileged areas is such a misappropriation of resources it hurts. Maybe all of the energy put towards fighting illusary suggestions of racism could go towards fighting the violence we're talking about?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2012-01-19, 11:03 AM #5
I think this is awesome, because some of the people I work with like to maintain the illusion that they live in a 'safe' neighborhood while just 2 blocks away is the ghetto.

Now, I'll be able to plug their address into an APP and say 'Look it's official, you live in the ghetto'.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2012-01-19, 11:09 AM #6
Maybe this is nitpicking, but the way they continually reference this patent as "the app" in that article annoyed me. It's not an app, it's a piece of functionality that will just be built into Microsoft's existing map software.
2012-01-19, 11:17 AM #7
I'm going to kind of agree with Kirby on this. It appears that the app only lets you know which neighborhood have the highest crime rates. If you read that and say "that means it's where all the black/hispanic people live!" then you're the racist.

When I lived in Columbus I was mugged once, had my beer stolen from me on the way back from the store, and chased down the street twice. Two of those instances were white guys, one of them was a black guy, and I have no idea what the ******* who mugged me was.
>>untie shoes
2012-01-19, 11:37 AM #8
Quote:
'Of course, an application like this defines crime pretty narrowly, since all crimes happen in all kinds of neighborhoods.'
'I can't imagine that there aren't perpetrators of domestic violence, petty and insignificant drug possession, fraud, theft, and rape in every area.'

I encourage this person to leave their keys unattended in their car in Detroit until they understand the concept of frequency.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2012-01-19, 12:48 PM #9
Originally posted by Freelancer:
I encourage this person to leave their keys unattended in their car in Detroit until they understand the concept of frequency.

Win.
2012-01-19, 12:51 PM #10
I really thought this thread was about whether or not to avoid the "Ghetto App" but whatever.
2012-01-19, 12:55 PM #11
Originally posted by Freelancer:

Funny thing is, Detroit is actually banning parking on the street in some parts of the city now where crime is high now. I find it hilarious that instead of trying to clean the city up a bit and reduce crime, their solution to car breakins and thefts is just "you can't park there."
2012-01-19, 12:56 PM #12
Originally posted by saberopus:
I really thought this thread was about whether or not to avoid the "Ghetto App" but whatever.

Haha, me too. Punctuation is your friend!

PRIVATE
NO
SWIMMING
ALLOWED

as opposed to

PRIVATE?
NO!
SWIMMING
ALLOWED
2012-01-19, 1:07 PM #13
lol. Sorry i fail in the area of punctuation.
:v:.......
[CENTER]
[/CENTER]
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2012-01-19, 1:30 PM #14
Originally posted by Darth_Alran:
lol. Sorry i fail in the area of punctuation.
:v:.......
[CENTER]
[/CENTER]

If you're Pac-Man, then all is forgiven. ^-^
2012-01-19, 1:47 PM #15
Originally posted by Darth:
Funny thing is, Detroit is actually banning parking on the street in some parts of the city now where crime is high now. I find it hilarious that instead of trying to clean the city up a bit and reduce crime, their solution to car breakins and thefts is just "you can't park there."

Is it worth saving Detroit?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2012-01-19, 11:08 PM #16
Originally posted by JediKirby:
How is this racist? The only way this is racist is if being a violent individual is part of a particular race's proud heritage. That's an awful implication to make in defense of minority groups. "Avoiding violent parts of town" does not mean "avoiding black/hispanic parts of town," even if that's the functional result. Also, the argument that it is going to hurt businesses in underprivileged areas is such a misappropriation of resources it hurts. Maybe all of the energy put towards fighting illusary suggestions of racism could go towards fighting the violence we're talking about?

You are correct here.

The only racists here are the people claiming this is racist. If they don't like the fact that I avoid their neighborhood maybe they should clean their **** hole up.

You don't patronize crappy stores in hopes of giving the owner more money so he can improve the store. It's the other way around, the owner has to take the initiative and invest in the store to win you over. Same idea.
2012-01-19, 11:37 PM #17
Yeah the word racism is thrown around way way too much.

If I have no desire to be in an area renown for violence and crime, I don't care if it's filled with whites blacks or purple people eaters, I just don't want to be there.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2012-01-20, 12:12 AM #18
Hey guys, just because someone sees racism everywhere doesn't mean that they must in fact be racist.

I think you're the racists for saying that people saying this is racist are racist. Moreover, I'm the racist for saying that people saying this is racist are racist are racists.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2012-01-20, 1:01 AM #19
You racist *******!
2012-01-20, 5:08 AM #20
Originally posted by Krokodile:
Hey guys, just because someone sees racism everywhere doesn't mean that they must in fact be racist.

I think you're the racists for saying that people saying this is racist are racist. Moreover, I'm the racist for saying that people saying this is racist are racist are racists.

Haha, sort of like an I know that you know that I know that you know situation.

And purple people eaters. Heh.

You must be referring to Barney. :ninja:
2012-01-20, 7:25 AM #21
Originally posted by Antony:
When I lived in Columbus I was mugged once, had my beer stolen from me on the way back from the store, and chased down the street twice. Two of those instances were white guys, one of them was a black guy, and I have no idea what the ******* who mugged me was.

Well you were either on the east side or west side, but since you said white guys Im guessing the west side.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2012-01-20, 7:58 AM #22
Originally posted by zanardi:
Well you were either on the east side or west side, but since you said white guys Im guessing the west side.

On the contrary, my good man! I lived in Old Town East for the majority of my stay, with a year in Victorian Village when I thought I had more money than I actually did.
>>untie shoes
2012-01-21, 3:58 AM #23
Originally posted by Antony:
when I thought I had more money than I actually did.

:huh:

Were you counting 1940 dollars? :awesome:
2012-01-21, 5:22 AM #24
Probably credit cards.

-Also, if it really does count crimes like domestic violence and such, then it's a pretty useless app. I suspect that the Green River Killer alone would make my entire town a no-go area, and he's been in prison for like 8 years now.
2012-01-21, 6:47 AM #25
Originally posted by Jarl:
Probably credit cards.

-Also, if it really does count crimes like domestic violence and such, then it's a pretty useless app. I suspect that the Green River Killer alone would make my entire town a no-go area, and he's been in prison for like 8 years now.

If it merely counts all crimes ever, then yes, it would be crap.
But I think the most likely thing is it counts recent crimes (for a given value of recent) or something like that.
You can't judge a book by it's file size

↑ Up to the top!