Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Red Tails (2012) - George Lucas
Red Tails (2012) - George Lucas
2012-01-23, 6:22 AM #1
This is a fairly interesting article by the NYT describing some of Lucas's design approach for this movie, and how he's ended up at the point where he is now.

Red Tails (IMDB)

NYT Article

It seems he completed the filming, and when trying to source a company to provide distribution, 8/9 firms turned him down, and the 9th didn't show up to the screening. It's likely not the subject matter that put them off, as it's been done before, 17 years ago, also with Cuba Gooding Jr.

By the article (haven't seen the film yet), Lucas appears to have taken a somewhat prequel/Indy 4 approach to the film.

I felt this described fairly well my opinion on the prequel movies, that there could have been an alternate path to bring kids in, rather than aim for kids with a ricochet for adults:

[LEFT] Still, he wasn’t sure Lucas was taking this film in the right direction. “I always felt it was much more of a mature film,” Hemingway said. “I felt if you’re going after kids, you have to go through the back door.” But Lucas persuaded him that if they made “Red Tails” as a kids’ picture, at some primal, emotional level, they would connect with the adult fanboys. [/LEFT]

And this made me chuckle:

So Lucas focused on the middle chapter: the dogfights and the Nazi-hunting black pilots who shout, “How you like that, Mr. Hitler!” (When I mention Lucas’s naïve style to Michael Bay, the director of the “Transformers” movies, he says sympathetically, “That’s what I get crap for from my critics.”)
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
2012-01-23, 7:15 AM #2
Has anyone here actually watched the film?

I'm intrigued but the trailer didn't excite me much at all.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2012-01-23, 7:17 AM #3
I heard the dialogue was beyond corny, and the trailers don't do these brave men justice with all the dubstep and **** playing, because of marketing I doubt anyone will take this film seriously.

Heres the dubstep TV Spot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUXMzcNqu60

Their marketing strategy: "How can we encourage younger people to go view a movie loosely based on historical events about a group of African Americans before the time of Tupac and the modern NFL?"

Well, I guess you throw some loud annoying ****ty dubstep in the trailer. How disrespectful.
2012-01-23, 7:41 AM #4
Roger Eberts review says that the movie is worth watching for the dog fight scenes, which he says are pretty well done, but that there really isn't any other substance to the film.

I'll probably watch it when it's streaming on Netflix.
2012-01-23, 8:10 AM #5
I vaguely recall the older 'The Tuskegee Airmen' movie with Laurence Fishburne and I figured this was more of the same so I had pretty much decided not to see 'Red Tails' in the theater. I had no idea it was a George Lucas film until now, but I'm still going to pass on it.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2012-01-23, 10:06 AM #6
Quote:
[LEFT] “I felt if you’re going after kids, you have to go through the back door.”

[/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT] ...CarpKing?
2012-01-23, 10:56 AM #7
Originally posted by DSettahr:
Roger Eberts review says that the movie is worth watching for the dog fight scenes, which he says are pretty well done, but that there really isn't any other substance to the film.

So... just like the Prequels then?
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2012-01-23, 11:12 AM #8
everyone keeps bringing up Lucas with this movie as if it's 100% his film... Lucas did not write it, did not direct it, he was an executive producer

i'm going to see it tomorrow... i'll let you know my thoughts
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2012-01-23, 11:16 AM #9
Yeah, I think it's incredibly unfair that people are treating this like a George Lucas movie. This is less a George Lucas movie than The Empire Strikes Back was.
>>untie shoes
2012-01-23, 11:22 AM #10
He's easier to blame.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2012-01-24, 1:57 AM #11
I'm so sick of overly spectacular CGI shots in movies. It completely removes any sense of realism for me. Yes, we all know you can pretty much create any jaw ****ing dropping shot you can dream of and have it look just dazzling. It hasn't been impressive for about a decade.

That said, I saw the trailer and thought it looked a bit corny. I'll probably watch it if I happen across it on a movie channel or free on demand some time down the road.
2012-01-24, 6:03 AM #12
Originally posted by happydud:
So... just like the Prequels then?

But this movie needs good characterization because I can't tell black people apart.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2012-01-24, 11:55 AM #13
I've never even heard of it and after some quick googling it's not coming here any time soon.
nope.
2012-01-24, 5:14 PM #14
it was not that bad... sure it wasn't the oscar worthy film that could be made about these men and it had a few cringe worthy moments (the acting in the entire opening scene... the "white people are surprised at black people flying planes" moments... the ONE use of "******"... nearly everything the german guy says... the music during the last scene)
eat right, exercise, die anyway

↑ Up to the top!