Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Band of Brothers
Band of Brothers
2012-01-26, 9:08 PM #1
Rewatched for probably the 10th with roommates who had never seen it

Its still my favorite over The Pacific.

Anyone else a huge fan?
2012-01-26, 10:24 PM #2
I felt like The Pacific could have been a lot better. When I was in the seperation platoon on Parris Island we watched it like 6 times while I was waiting for my discharge papers to go through.
>>untie shoes
2012-01-26, 11:00 PM #3
Ooh ooh is this where I can inappropriately attribute the quote of "we few, we happy few, we band of brothers..."?
2012-01-27, 1:46 AM #4
Band of Brothers is the best. Some of The Pacific was ok, but imho it was nowhere near as good as the whole of BoB
"You want the truth?! You can't handle the truth!! No truth-handler you!! Bah!! I deride your truth-handling ability!!"
2012-01-27, 6:25 AM #5
BoB is fantastic.

Last summer I was on a cycling vacation near Arnhem. The episode where they talk about 'the island', where they are behind a dyke and trying to sneak up on the Germans... it wasn't actually shot in The Netherlands, but I was in the real place and it really does look like it.

I think they did sneak in some footage of the real river bank though, it is uncanny how much it looks like the real location. I really thought I recognized a church that we passed by.

I need to watch it again though, I've only seen the series once.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2012-01-27, 7:13 AM #6
BoB is one of the only pieces of media I can return to regularly without getting sick of it. There's just so much to it to enjoy. It's a classic in the true sense of the word. My dad and I watch it together, and I will show my children Band of Brothers.

The Pacific was a let down in comparison. I remember getting yelled at here for saying as much while it was on the air.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2012-01-27, 7:16 AM #7
I still haven't watched The Pacific. Worth watching despite the disappointment?
2012-01-27, 7:18 AM #8
Originally posted by saberopus:
I still haven't watched The Pacific. Worth watching despite the disappointment?

It's just different, watch it, its worth it
2012-01-27, 7:30 AM #9
I certainly wouldn't say it's a bad piece of media, but I'd really divorce yourself from the idea that it's related to Band of Brothers. A few of the tropes from BoB are retried in The Pacific and it's obvious that they're reaching. It's a lot more character driven while somehow being less human, and I personally didn't find any of the actors very strong. The war scenes are few and far between, but they're a lot more action packed than BoB, which is either a good thing or a bad thing depending on your tastes. Myself, BoB had such realistic combat that I found The Pacific to be more akin to an action movie. I started out saying that it's not bad, but the only thing it ever reminds me of is how off-the-mark Pearl Harbor was.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2012-01-27, 8:02 AM #10
Loved both Band of Brothers and The Pacific to bits. Fantastic series on both parts, and I'm definitely overdue to revisit both of them. Problem is my dad keeps stealing my boxsets >.>
2012-01-27, 8:16 AM #11
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Myself, BoB had such realistic combat that I found The Pacific to be more akin to an action movie.

the thing is if they made the combat sequences more historically accurate it would seem even more like an action movie
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2012-01-27, 8:26 AM #12
See, I know the story too, but it wasn't so much the actual things that are happening, but just the way that it was shot that took me out of the war and put me in a soundstage with action heroes.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2012-01-27, 6:59 PM #13
i like pieces of media
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2012-01-27, 8:30 PM #14
Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
the thing is if they made the combat sequences more historically accurate it would seem even more like an action movie

This is very accurate.
>>untie shoes
2012-01-29, 11:27 AM #15
I love BoB, care about the characters, pretty much love everything about it. As for The Pacific, I can't really say the same, with the exception of one or two episodes, I found it a chore to get through and didn't really see anything too likable when compared to BoB (maybe the score). It sucks to say, because the characters are/were real people, but I was just incredibly let down by The Pacific.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2012-01-29, 5:15 PM #16
I've always loved Bands of Brothers, but for some damned reason... I always fail to watch the last few episodes. Something always seems to come up that keeps my from watching them. Then I forget about them.

I shall start watching them again.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2012-01-29, 7:48 PM #17
Originally posted by TimeWolfOfThePast:
I love BoB, care about the characters, pretty much love everything about it. As for The Pacific, I can't really say the same, with the exception of one or two episodes, I found it a chore to get through and didn't really see anything too likable when compared to BoB (maybe the score). It sucks to say, because the characters are/were real people, but I was just incredibly let down by The Pacific.

Exactly this.
"You want the truth?! You can't handle the truth!! No truth-handler you!! Bah!! I deride your truth-handling ability!!"
2012-01-29, 9:05 PM #18
The Pacific seemed to be more about the individuals struggle with war and the torments that it scars the soldier with, whereas Band of Brothers was more about the bonds that grow between soldiers during war, and how those relationships form and evolve.

I think both accomplished their goal, its just that Band of Brothers works so well because we grow attached to the company and we are experiencing these relationships form and change with them, and the heartbreak or joy when something happens. Whereas when we watch the Pacific, we still feel a profound sadness for what we see, but we know its just a TV show and its hard to put ourselves in their shoes and imagine the kind of hell they have been through.

However, the biggest flaw in Band of Brothers is that there are so many characters that it takes more than 1 viewing of the series to become totaly comfortable with who everyone is, and by that point, the suspense and drama of not knowing what happens to them is ruined, even though there are some scenes that will break your heart everytime, example, knowing what happens to Toye and Wild Bill in Episode 7, I dread having to watch that part. Still, if I cared about them as much as I did during the first viewing, it would have made all the more impact on me.

↑ Up to the top!