Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → George Lucas Strikes Down Rumor that Han Ever Shot First
George Lucas Strikes Down Rumor that Han Ever Shot First
2012-02-09, 7:53 PM #1
http://movies.ign.com/articles/121/1218385p1.html

Begin Nerd Rage
Completely Overrated Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comple...59732330769611
A community dedicated to discussing all things entertainment.
2012-02-09, 7:55 PM #2
heh, oh dear.
woot!
2012-02-09, 8:01 PM #3
Heh, whatever.

Maul died first.

That's right.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2012-02-09, 8:02 PM #4
next thing you know george will try to convince us water isn't wet
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2012-02-09, 8:02 PM #5
Every time I see Lucas, I start to feel bad for the guy. Maybe he needs a hug. But then again he has billions of dollars.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2012-02-09, 8:17 PM #6
**** that guy.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2012-02-09, 8:17 PM #7
Um, ok? Can't say I disagree, but I don't really care either.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2012-02-09, 8:28 PM #8
I hope his third chin is a tumor
2012-02-09, 8:30 PM #9
I'm kind of indifferent on it. The only thing he's changed about the movies that really annoys me is the stupid "no" thing at the end of Jedi. But even that doesn't actually ruin the movies for me or anything. I guess I'm just not as picky as I used to be about movies.
>>untie shoes
2012-02-09, 8:32 PM #10
Didn't he retire?
Retire already!
2012-02-09, 8:54 PM #11
This pretty much sums up my thoughts concerning the last decade of Lucas' involvement in my life.
My blawgh.
2012-02-09, 9:14 PM #12
Am I the only person who has no issue with any of the changes that have been made to a b-list, 40-year-old movie?
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2012-02-09, 9:17 PM #13
"a b-list movie" he said
2012-02-09, 10:27 PM #14
George Lucas accidently stumbled into near perfection early in his career and has spent the last 20 years messing it up. Maybe I'm a stubborn purist but I find no value in any of the digitally added scenes. It's been all downhill from the original theater releases. So what if all the fans thought Han Solo shot first when he really didnt, everyone still loved the character. I never saw anyone wearing a 'Team Greedo' T-Shirt.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2012-02-09, 10:40 PM #15
Originally posted by Alan:
Am I the only person who has no issue with any of the changes that have been made to a b-list, 40-year-old movie?

Yes, this is Massassi.
2012-02-09, 10:50 PM #16
If that isn't blatant baiting I don't know what is.
2012-02-10, 12:25 AM #17
Indeed Tibby. It is clear that he doesn't really care what the hardcore nerds think, because in the end, they are only a small fraction of the people who like star wars. It just seems like there are a whole lot of them as they are the loudest, and people who are indifferent rarely speak up (this is true about almost any issue), or don't bother speaking up because they know they will just get shouted out by the aforementioned hardcore fans.

Honestly, the biggest problem with the "noooooo" in jedi is that it doesn't really match up with the part of the soundtrack indicating his decision (which is the only thing in the original that gives the indication that Vader choosing to kill the emperor was any more than a random pick).

TL:DR fanboys don't have as much support as they think they do.
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2012-02-10, 4:01 AM #18
What's the "no" thing in Jedi?
2012-02-10, 5:05 AM #19
Originally posted by Gebohq:
Um, ok? Can't say I disagree, but I don't really care either.

I'm with you.

Originally posted by Alan:

Nope, I'm with you. Although to be honest, I've yet to see the big "no" thing. ^-^

Originally posted by saberopus:
"a b-list movie" he said

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ikr?

Originally posted by alpha1:
they are only a small fraction of the people who like star wars. It just seems like there are a whole lot of them as they are the loudest, and people who are indifferent rarely speak up (this is true about almost any issue), or don't bother speaking up because they know they will just get shouted out by the aforementioned hardcore fans.

Quoted for truth.

Personally, I don't get all the fanboy hate for Lucas. o_O

Originally posted by Vin:
What's the "no" thing in Jedi?

Gentlemen, start your rants!
2012-02-10, 7:25 AM #20
A) Apparently GL changed his mind again, at one point he claimed that the change had to be made in order to savor the original PG(?) rating for the 1997 Special Edition.

B) The whole "Han Shot First" thing is stupid.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2012-02-10, 9:03 AM #21
There are 3 things I don't like from the edits: The "No" added to RotJ, replacing Sebastian Shaw with Hayden Christiansen, and the music video in the middle of Jabba's Palace.

Apart from those I really don't give a toss.
nope.
2012-02-10, 9:14 AM #22
Oh yeah, I forgot about that musical crap at Jabba's Palace. That sucks, too.
>>untie shoes
2012-02-10, 10:38 AM #23
to be fair, I'm glad they got rid of that ridiculous blue elephant in Jabba's palace and replaced it with something less crappy looking. I can't even remember what it was but the elephant was horrible.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2012-02-10, 11:23 AM #24
THAT'S MAX REBO YOU ****WIT, YOU BETTER STEP RIGHT OFF
2012-02-10, 11:28 AM #25
A change I really did like since the Special Edition was the ending of RotJ. WAY better soundtrack, and it's nice to see the other various locations.

As for the "Noo!" thing in RotJ, here's a clip:
Sorry, don't know how to play this video :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27RVJJfny4I
I didn't like the delivery of his "No!" in RotS, and it comes back in the second use in RotJ. I actually don't mind the first use of it in RotJ, as it seems more like what would have been fitting as I see it (i.e. less "NOOOOOOO!" and more "No...") -- a defeated despair for RotS and a regained, simple confidence in RotJ. At least it's understandable from a storytelling standpoint, even if I don't like the delivery.

The song and dance number in RotJ was pretty bleh, though I much prefer that they replaced Sebastian Shaw with Hayden Christiansen as I found Shaw to stand out like a sore thumb, though I do wish Hayden looked less menacing.
2012-02-10, 11:29 AM #26
Originally posted by Ni:
to be fair, I'm glad they got rid of that ridiculous blue elephant in Jabba's palace and replaced it with something less crappy looking. I can't even remember what it was but the elephant was horrible.

twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2012-02-10, 11:55 AM #27
Originally posted by Gebohq:

The song and dance number in RotJ was pretty bleh, though I much prefer that they replaced Sebastian Shaw with Hayden Christiansen as I found Shaw to stand out like a sore thumb, though I do wish Hayden looked less menacing.

Hayden looks menacing AND smug. It's also awkward to have seen helmetless vader several times and then see this stupid hippie-haired chump kid standing next to really-old obi and ****ing-old yoda.
2012-02-10, 12:06 PM #28
At least it's not some old random dude who looks older than Obi-wan and more apt to run an office than an empire.
2012-02-10, 12:44 PM #29
But you see he had been redeemed while he was still alive, and old, and...
well **** it just put hayden in
2012-02-10, 1:30 PM #30
yeah, the first "No..." in rotj is not bad at all, in fact i quite like it. but.... oooohhhhh that second one! it reminds me too much of RotS with his mighty Frankenstein "NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooo......!" that was seriously tied for first place as the worst part of any of the star wars movies.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2012-02-10, 5:58 PM #31
You know the whole opening act of ROTJ never really made sense to me. Couldn't the whole operation to save Han been planned better? Why Lando and why Leia? why not better suited operatives?

I guess the whole point was to have Leia in a slave outfit.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2012-02-10, 7:45 PM #32
no Echofriend, it's because they're the main characters duh
2012-02-11, 12:56 AM #33
Or maybe it's 'cause Leia loves Han and Lando wanted to redeem himself?

Or maybe the Rebel Alliance didn't have the resources to plan and execute a mission to save a spice smuggler from a Hutt crime lord, so it was up to Han's friends to save him?

From best to worst, I rank the Star Wars movies like this: The Empire Strikes Back, A New Hope, The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, Return of the Jedi, Revenge of the Sith.
2012-02-11, 1:30 AM #34
To me, the shot is a critical part of Han Solos character arc.
Without it, he was never a mercenary, and thus his arc kind of collapses.
He was supposed to start of as a mercenary, then slowly warm up to the rebellion and in the end directly fight for them. If he doesn't shoot greedo... then that mercenary part doesn't exist and the arc collapses in on itself.

Of course in the end it doesn't matter, and in the end Lucas can do as he pleases. I just really wish he would release the original edits along with whatever edits he wants. I would pay good money for the original cut in 1080p, and zero dollars for edits.
2012-02-11, 4:59 AM #35
Or maybe it's 'cause Leia loves Han and Lando wanted to redeem himself?

Or maybe the Rebel Alliance didn't have the resources to plan and execute a mission to save a spice smuggler from a Hutt crime lord, so it was up to Han's friends to save him?

From best to worst, I rank the Star Wars movies like this: The Empire Strikes Back, A New Hope, The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, Return of the Jedi, Revenge of the Sith.

Your placement of attack of the clones astounds me
2012-02-11, 9:44 AM #36
I don't care about this bloated franchise that much anymore. I recommend the same to everyone who gets annoyed by whatever GL decides to do or say regarding it.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2012-02-11, 10:05 AM #37

I always figured it was this.
2012-02-11, 10:36 AM #38
Originally posted by Tibby:
he was never a mercenary

This is the only part of your post that is accurate.
>>untie shoes
2012-02-11, 10:57 AM #39
Read this news yesterday. Total disregard for the man, but none of us would be here if it weren't for him!
Xbox Live/PlayStation Network/Steam: tone217
http://twitter.com/ourmatetone
2012-02-11, 10:59 AM #40
He's all of our father?
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.

↑ Up to the top!