Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → StarWars - The Clone Wars: HOLY ****
StarWars - The Clone Wars: HOLY ****
2012-02-23, 1:54 PM #1
This looks FANFREAKINTASTIC!!!!!! :omg:
Sorry, don't know how to play this video :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75tIHDjEC_Q
Sorry, don't know how to play this video :(
http://www.usatoday.com/video/index.htm?bctid=1468690309001#/EXCLUSIVE%3A+Darth+Maul+trailer/1468690309001
the second video is WAYYYYYY better...
lately the cartoon series has been blowing the movies out of the water!
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2012-02-23, 2:06 PM #2
oh the cartoon series has been blowing something alright
2012-02-23, 3:05 PM #3
so i take it you have watched the last two seasons?
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2012-02-23, 3:19 PM #4
Watch it once like three times, found it boring as all hell, then again most cartoons that aren't sitcoms do that for me, if you try to make anything serious without actors it just doesn't work in my opinion, theres too much body language and facial expressions that communcate so much that any sort of cartoon or CGI cant reproduce

If I couldn't emotionally connect well with the prequels then the chances of me connecting with a cartoon series about them are slim to none
2012-02-23, 3:37 PM #5
Originally posted by Couchman:
If I couldn't emotionally connect well with the prequels then the chances of me connecting with a cartoon series about them are slim to none

this is probably true.
2012-02-23, 8:30 PM #6
I saw a few episodes in the second season and found them to be pretty entertaining. The first season seemed to crawl before there was every any good action, though I did like the atmosphere. From my understanding the creators are at free reign which has allowed more expanded-universe continuity into this show than the actual movies.
My blawgh.
2012-02-23, 11:01 PM #7
The first season brought up a good villian, but ofcourse he got neutered before he could do anything due to canon.
Canon constrains a show set in this in universe period too much, plus we all know he's gonna murder what's her face horribly.
2012-02-24, 3:46 AM #8
Originally posted by Tibby:
The first season brought up a good villian, but ofcourse he got neutered before he could do anything due to canon.
Canon constrains a show set in this in universe period too much, plus we all know he's gonna murder what's her face horribly.

Even then they go murder Canon willy-nilly, like the Mandos, that was one of my favorite aspects of the books and suddenly its not really true because of a story line team on Clone Wars that DOESN'T EVEN LOOK AT CURRENTLY RUNNING STORYLINES IN THE BOOKS FOR THE SAME TIME PERIOD.
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2012-02-24, 5:05 AM #9
Quote:
theres too much body language and facial expressions that communcate so much that any sort of cartoon or CGI cant reproduce
That's entirely un-true. CGI can reproduce it.

They just don't have good CGI.
2012-02-24, 6:00 AM #10
The series has been good at times, but often it has suffered from terrible writing.

I hate the idea of bringing Maul back.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2012-02-24, 6:35 AM #11
Originally posted by JM:
That's entirely un-true. CGI can reproduce it.

They just don't have good CGI.

List a few examples to support your argument
2012-02-24, 7:46 AM #12
My thoughts on this-

Like ORJ_JoS, I hate the idea of bringing Darth Maul back. I don't know what kind of backstory Darth Maul has in the extended Star Wars universe, he hardly seems worth the effort.

I strongly dislike the CGI animation style being used.

I do think it's cool Sam Witwer is doing it, I think he's done a good job with his roles in most of the other Sci-Fi series I've seen him in (BSG, Smallville, and Being Human).

And that said, I probably wont ever see this.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2012-02-24, 7:57 AM #13
I don't really care for 99% of the SW Expanded Unierse. I already thought they did a pretty good job with the 2003-2004 animated series (Star Wars: Clone Wars), hell, it's way better than the prequels (even RotS, even if I still really like that film). For this reason or something else, I've never felt any appeal towards the CGI one and about 50% of the things I've heard about it have sounded odd or gimmick. More often than not I've heard that it's been getting progressively better with each season. I don't know, maybe at some point I'll check it out but bringing back Darth Maul certainly doesn't do it for me. I did like that "Obi-Wan fights robo-Maul on Tatooine some time before ANH" SW:EU story, though.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2012-02-24, 8:00 AM #14
HOLY **** DARTH MAUL ****ING BADASS BRO
2012-02-24, 8:30 AM #15
Originally posted by saberopus:
HOLY **** DARTH MAUL ****ING BADASS BRO

did you dress like him for halloween ever since TPM?
2012-02-24, 9:25 AM #16
I could be wrong... But there may have been a hint of sarcasm in that post.
2012-02-24, 9:42 AM #17
saberopus posts usually drip with many things.
2012-02-24, 12:52 PM #18
List a few examples to support your argument

Pixar
2012-02-26, 12:36 AM #19
I like the action of the series but the diplomacy is just your average filler. It's a lot like anime.

Oh god
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2012-02-26, 7:37 AM #20
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
Pixar

hope thats a joke, as good as their animation is it comes nowhere even close to capturing all the subtle motions or expressions of a human being
2012-02-26, 7:45 AM #21
hope thats a joke, as good as their animation is it comes nowhere even close to capturing all the subtle motions or expressions of a human being

Animation is not supposed to accurately recreate everything that happens in real life. That's why it's animation and not live action.
>>untie shoes
2012-02-26, 8:00 AM #22
Originally posted by Antony:
Animation is not supposed to accurately recreate everything that happens in real life. That's why it's animation and not live action.

Yes I know, thats what my point is, don't tell it to me, tell it to the people in this thread that disagree
2012-02-26, 8:37 AM #23
What
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2012-02-26, 9:42 AM #24
Wait... So you don't like ANY animation then??
2012-02-26, 1:13 PM #25
then again most cartoons that aren't sitcoms do that for me, if you try to make anything serious without actors it just doesn't work in my opinion

Originally posted by Darth_Alran:
Wait... So you don't like ANY animation then??

No...as I said before, the only animation I like is just sitcom such as The Simpsons, Family guy, but of course when I say Simpsons I mean roughly the first 10 years or so
2012-02-26, 2:47 PM #26

It expresses things differently. No work of art captures reality in all of it details, that would be stupid. It takes certain aspects of expression, and exaggerates them to convey an emotion or idea. Just like story lines are contrived, and scripted conversations miss out on the subtly and lack of concise focus that a real conversation has. Cartoons, books, movies, paintings, and almost all forms of art exist to highlight certain aspects of reality, but none of them can do that by merely approximating reality. A good animator can make his characters incredibly expressive, but they don't do it by giving them realistic motions. In fact, a good animator can express certain things more effectively than a live actor can, because they can more effectively filter out the things they want to express from the things they don't want to express. A good painting isn't something that looks as much like a photo as possible. Judging a medium by the amount of fidelity with which it can reproduce reality is to completely miss the point of art altogether.
2012-02-26, 3:20 PM #27
No work of art captures reality in all of it details

Young Chuck Close would disagree with you.

[Unable to find specified attachment]
>>untie shoes
2012-02-26, 4:25 PM #28
It expresses things differently. No work of art captures reality in all of it details, that would be stupid. It takes certain aspects of expression, and exaggerates them to convey an emotion or idea. Just like story lines are contrived, and scripted conversations miss out on the subtly and lack of concise focus that a real conversation has. Cartoons, books, movies, paintings, and almost all forms of art exist to highlight certain aspects of reality, but none of them can do that by merely approximating reality. A good animator can make his characters incredibly expressive, but they don't do it by giving them realistic motions. In fact, a good animator can express certain things more effectively than a live actor can, because they can more effectively filter out the things they want to express from the things they don't want to express. A good painting isn't something that looks as much like a photo as possible. Judging a medium by the amount of fidelity with which it can reproduce reality is to completely miss the point of art altogether.

I agree with everything you said and it was a good post, but back to my first point: Any serious Star Wars show will work better with real actors, that being said, I will probably enjoy the live action show theyre working on far more than this since I am looking for something more on the human side, with both its perfections and imperfections, I just hope they can make it as gritty as the revived Battlestar Galactica and show us what it was really like during the high times of the empire (in the hope they ditch that darth vader assassination time travel **** thats rumored)
2012-02-26, 9:21 PM #29
I can certinally agree that I wouldn't bother with anything Star Wars that isn't live action.
2012-02-26, 9:39 PM #30
Originally posted by Antony:
Young Chuck Close would disagree with you.

[Unable to find specified attachment]

I would like to go ahead and point out that this is a drawing, so there isn't any confusion as to why I posted a picture of Chuck Close.
>>untie shoes
2012-02-26, 11:59 PM #31
It's soitenly been a while since Massassi had one of these recycled, stuffy art class debates.

Back to the original topic, I remember reading that one of the plotlines in the CGI series was Anakin finding out that he was going to become Darth Vader, until he stumbled on a magical Reset button. I always thought the part in the 2004 Clone Wars series when he enters that cave in that planet right before RotS and saw a bunch of foreshadowing illusions that ended up in this was far more effective. The CGI series' thing with the personifications of the light and the dark side also sounded like something from those annoying tween SW:EU novels. Or Captain Planet.

That said, I haven't seen the CGI series so I'm not really gonna be able to judge it, just state some thoughts. Thoughts that still make me not want to start watching the series right now.

Oh, and

Originally posted by Chuck Jones:
Why do animated cartoonists use animals? For the same reason that Aesop, La Fontaine, Kipling, Beatrix Potter, and Kenneth Grahame did: it is easier and more believable to humanize animals than it is to humanize humans.
2012-02-27, 5:39 AM #32
FGR; I think you're referring to the 'Mortis Trilogy'. That is actually one of the few stories in TCW that has some real depth to it. A lot of people thought it was a lot of hogwash, and I can see why people think that if you look at it only superficially. However, there's more to it than meets the eye. Lucas dives really deep into Campbell and Jung here (two of the main influences for the origin of SW). This trilogy can be seen as an allegory for the entire saga, and many people recognized it as such, but it doesn't stop there.

The season in which it aired (season 3) had the title 'Secrets Revealed', and after the season was over many complained that they hadn't revealed any real secrets. However, if you look closely at the Mortis trilogy, and you go with the idea that every story element has its parallel in the saga, then some of the 'plot devices' of Mortis are suddenly rich with symbolism, and actually reveal some 'secrets' about the saga that people have been wondering about for a long time. I personally believe this was Lucas' way to 'reveal' some stuff that he did not like to outright state as a fact. He did it in a way that is open to interpretation, and I think it's very clever. Of course there are many people who won't buy these conclusions for this very reason (it's open to interpretation) or just because they like the EU explanations better (ugh). In fact some of the metaphors have several layers, I really like it. Even though I think the story of Mortis (especially the third and final part in which Anakin 'needs to forget') could have been done better, I think there's some genius in there.

My personal conclusions:

1. The will of the Force created Anakin to preserve the balance. (On Mortis, The Father made Anakin come into the world to preserve the balance - Father symbolizes the (balance of the) Force) So, it was not Sidious/Palpatine who created Anakin. (A popular theory among EU enthusiasts)
2. Darth Sidious is responsible for sending Anakin his visions about Padme and his mother (On Mortis, the Son showed Anakin the future, broke the law of time - the Son symbolizes the Sith)
3. Only one who is balanced; one who performs acts that bring balance will become one with the Force (The Father 'ghosting' upon death while the Daughter did not, even though she selflessly sacrificed herself)
4. The will of the Force is to be in balance
5. The Jedi were corrupted by the war, and partaking in it was wrong; it led to their destruction. (Daughter was corrupted by the conflict, and brought about her own destruction by bringing the sword into the conflict) In this case, the sword symbolizes the clone army as well as Anakin himself, both were 'weapons' that were found in a remote place, brought into the conflict, and ultimately brought about the demise of the Jedi.
6. On Mortis, Qui-Gon showed Anakin the path to balance by telling him to do neither the 'default' light or dark extreme, but follow his instincts and let the will of the Force take shape.
7. In RotJ, balance was brought by a perfectly balanced act of light and dark: a selfless betrayal. Watching the end of RotJ is slightly different with this in mind.
8. The Dark side works like a poison. (On Mortis, Ahsoka was bitten by the Son in disguise)

Now this probably doesn't make a lot of sense if you haven't seen the trilogy. Mortis caused quite a ****storm because people were misinterpreting the concept of 'balance'. (Some people thought it means it's 'okay' to use the dark side every now and then, but that is really not what Lucas is saying.)

In any case, it's a story that sparked an unprecedented amount of philosophical debate on the Star Wars internet, and for that alone it is special.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I

↑ Up to the top!