Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Suggested viewing order of the Star Wars saga
Suggested viewing order of the Star Wars saga
2012-03-01, 1:41 PM #41
Most of the stuff that happens in the Matrix sequels is pretty esoteric. None of it is really supposed to be taken at face value, and you practically have to be a ****ing theology scholar (or read a bunch of papers that explain what's going on) to really "get it". Because of that, they largely fail as movies simply because it's so difficult to really appreciate them. I've always said that you shouldn't have to read any books or anything to appreciate a movie and that it should stand on it's own. The Matrix sequels are the best example of that. They are movies that have required reading, and if you do it, they're pretty awesome, but take at face value, they're fairly awful and incomprehensible.
>>untie shoes
2012-03-01, 3:41 PM #42
Originally posted by Mentat:
I think that TPM is the best prequel.

+1

Can someone explain to me in slow motion why TPM isn't important to the saga?
2012-03-01, 3:42 PM #43
Can you please elaborate on what sort of reading one must do before fully "getting" the Matrix movies? Am curious. Thanks!
幻術
2012-03-01, 4:00 PM #44
Originally posted by Antony:
Most of the stuff that happens in the Matrix sequels is pretty esoteric. None of it is really supposed to be taken at face value, and you practically have to be a ****ing theology scholar (or read a bunch of papers that explain what's going on) to really "get it". Because of that, they largely fail as movies simply because it's so difficult to really appreciate them. I've always said that you shouldn't have to read any books or anything to appreciate a movie and that it should stand on it's own. The Matrix sequels are the best example of that. They are movies that have required reading, and if you do it, they're pretty awesome, but take at face value, they're fairly awful and incomprehensible.

I dunno man, there's more reasons why the Matrix sequels suck than the impenetrability of their symbolism. The original included lots of compelling themes that are well integrated with the plot and action bits. Reloaded and Revolutions, which I still enjoy to some degree (less so with the 3rd), aren't paced as well, don't carry the same sense of mystery and myth (despite the much more heavy-handed savior angle), have more poorly structured narrative arcs, pacing, etc. Not in some huge crushing way, just in relation to the original, I mean.
2012-03-01, 4:33 PM #45
The Matrix sequels feel like souless action flicks to me. I can appreciate them on that level, but the original had it all.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2012-03-01, 5:11 PM #46
I fully agree with both saberopus and Triscuit.
I don't think it's so much that you need to "get" them, that sounds to me more like an excuse of why everyone says it sucked rather than an actual reason.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2012-03-01, 5:13 PM #47
Originally posted by Koobie:
Can you please elaborate on what sort of reading one must do before fully "getting" the Matrix movies? Am curious. Thanks!

The bible and the quran are good starting points. Also the Jewish holy book. The torah?
nope.
2012-03-01, 7:27 PM #48
AKA The Old Testament in the Bible
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2012-03-01, 9:08 PM #49
might add the Sepher Yetzirah, and the Zohar to that list.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2012-03-01, 10:23 PM #50
The Republic couldn't hurt.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2012-03-01, 11:51 PM #51
Originally posted by saberopus:
I dunno man, there's more reasons why the Matrix sequels suck than the impenetrability of their symbolism. The original included lots of compelling themes that are well integrated with the plot and action bits. Reloaded and Revolutions, which I still enjoy to some degree (less so with the 3rd), aren't paced as well, don't carry the same sense of mystery and myth (despite the much more heavy-handed savior angle), have more poorly structured narrative arcs, pacing, etc. Not in some huge crushing way, just in relation to the original, I mean.

Oh I agree entirely. I'm just saying they're not as mindless as people make them out to be. They can also function as a nice jumping off point for learning about some cool cool stuff. Then again, I can't possibly encourage the notion of a bunch of ********s going around half assing freshman level philosophy.
>>untie shoes
2012-03-02, 12:10 AM #52
I liked temple of doom, crystal skull is only good for the sequence starting in the bar and ending in the library.
2012-03-02, 2:02 AM #53
Still havent seen Crystal Skull. I remember needing to watch ToD as a child because they referenced the mine cart scene in just about every cartoon i ever watched back then. Indy just needs to fight Nazis to make a good movie.
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2012-03-02, 2:26 AM #54
The alien thing just killed it for me in the Crystal Skull. I liked ToD better I think, even just for the way it starts (the dance, then Indy getting poisoned, etc.).
幻術
2012-03-02, 3:53 AM #55
Originally posted by Ford:
AKA The Old Testament in the Bible

I don't know any jews and I don't know a thing about Judaism. :P
Originally posted by Koobie:
The alien thing just killed it for me in the Crystal Skull.

Why? It's no more outlandish than supernatural nazis and people melting.
nope.
2012-03-02, 4:47 AM #56
I loved the Temple of Doom. Raiders is the best though. The Last Crusade was always my least favourite. Crystal Skull is kind of 'meh'.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2012-03-02, 5:27 AM #57
Originally posted by Baconfish:

I guess everyone has a different tolerance for pushing the believable. I thought the Aliens plot was fine, until they resurrected and the ship took off. Also the CGI Ants also bothered me. Oddly I didnt have any problems with the refrigerator nuke scene. :)
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2012-03-02, 5:46 AM #58
Originally posted by Baconfish:
I don't know any jews and I don't know a thing about Judaism. :P

To me, it seemed out of theme. If we went for magic in all the previous movies, let's stick to magic, why don't we? Ancient artifacts holding terrible power just tie in better to Indy's lore for me than an alien spaceship.
幻術
2012-03-02, 7:25 AM #59
I think that the Indiana Jones films got progressively worse. I've always considered the first 2 films in the series to be the best, with 3 close behind & the final film barely watchable.
? :)
2012-03-02, 7:25 AM #60
i can't imagine how someone could like Temple better than the Last Crusade, but to each their own I suppose.
2012-03-02, 8:47 AM #61
Originally posted by Mentat:
I think that the Indiana Jones films got progressively worse. I've always considered the first 2 films in the series to be the best, with 3 close behind & the final film barely watchable.

I think 3 is the absolute best of the lot. I would only call the fourth barely watch-able if it was a completely unrelated film (aka Highlander 2 syndrome)
2012-03-02, 8:52 AM #62
I liked all of the Indiana Jones films, I guess the third one's my favorite of those. However, thus far I've successfully avoided seeing the Matrix sequels, Scrubs season 9 and Dragon Ball GT and I'd really prefer to keep it that way forever.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2012-03-02, 10:25 AM #63
i can't imagine how someone could like Temple

dot
2012-03-02, 8:01 PM #64
I can see liking it, and I do, it's campy and fun. But they're all a bit campy, just not so annoying.
2012-03-02, 8:04 PM #65
MISTA JHONES
2012-03-02, 9:41 PM #66
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
I liked all of the Indiana Jones films, I guess the third one's my favorite of those. However, thus far I've successfully avoided seeing the Matrix sequels, Scrubs season 9 and Dragon Ball GT and I'd really prefer to keep it that way forever.

I think the Matrix sequels are decent, it's just Matrix 1 set the bar pretty damn high.
As for Scrubs season 9, I found that fairly enjoyable, I think if it was called something other than Scrubs it would've been more popular (Highlander 2 syndrome again).
As for Dragon Ball.... yeah.......
2012-03-03, 5:34 AM #67
Funnily enough, without even reading this thread, I recently devised an EVEN BETTER viewing order:

Episode IV
Episode V
Episode III
Episode VI
Xbox Live/PlayStation Network/Steam: tone217
http://twitter.com/ourmatetone
2012-03-03, 6:28 AM #68
I don't pretend to be the biggest Star Wars geek around, so I could easily be missing something, but isn't there only 2 realistic options, assuming you're planning to watch all 6 films?

4-5-6-1-2-3
1-2-3-4-5-6

...or you could just skip them all & watch Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure & Ewoks: The Battle for Endor.
? :)
2012-03-03, 8:29 AM #69
I can see liking it

nope
2012-03-03, 8:56 AM #70
I can see liking it

Originally posted by Michael MacFarlane:
nope

I can see it

Will that do?
2012-03-03, 12:56 PM #71
yeah
2012-03-03, 2:47 PM #72
Good job, guys. Now it's time for a group hug.
>>untie shoes
2012-03-04, 12:00 AM #73
I vote Antony's unicorn gets turned into one of the My Little Ponies
2012-03-04, 12:21 AM #74
Originally posted by Deadman:
I vote Antony's unicorn gets circumcised

I'm saberopus and I approve this message.
2012-03-04, 5:04 AM #75
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favourite site on the extranet.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2012-03-04, 8:45 AM #76

You *******.
>>untie shoes
2012-03-04, 1:07 PM #77

I'm Michael MacFarlane and I approve of this saberopus.
2012-03-04, 1:30 PM #78
I'm Koobie and I approve of Michael MacFarlane approving saberopus to approve Michael MacFarlane to approve saberopus.

[http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-vz0Qqjkz1fI/Tbg93KkaqdI/AAAAAAAAkN4/IaY8yg6d59k/s1600/BananaCircumcised.jpg]
幻術
2012-03-04, 2:31 PM #79
OK So we're all agreed, that unicorn needs to be some kind of fluoro colour and have the tip of it's horn removed.

↑ Up to the top!