Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → So much rain.
So much rain.
2012-03-02, 11:29 PM #1
Here in Canberra its been raining almost constantly (varying in strength, but its been at least spitting) for at least 5 days. While Canberra was designed to resist flooding (streets are made to be like rivers, and the major flood prone areas are sports fields), other areas in regional NSW have been badly flooding.

Here is a time lapse video from the official webcam of our enlarged (and still under construction, you can see them moving the equipment) dam overflowing for the first time. We have also had the old dam (behind the new one) currently under 6 meters of water.

Sorry, don't know how to play this video :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvZwferhuTo&feature=related

And there are still more days of rain.

So, whats the longest amount of continuous rain that you guys have had?
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2012-03-03, 1:47 AM #2
Well, I'm going to turn 24 on sunday, and I live in washington, so 23 years and 363 days of rain.

-In all honesty, it's even worse now than it has been the past few years, it seems.
2012-03-03, 2:45 AM #3
I literally pissed for 5 minutes straight this morning.
? :)
2012-03-03, 3:57 AM #4
Sounds about right, I'm moving to Canberra soon ><
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2012-03-03, 4:23 AM #5
oops double post
2012-03-03, 7:44 AM #6
Longest continuous rain? Maybe a day or two...but I live in the desert. :/
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."
2012-03-03, 8:02 AM #7
What surprised me about that video is how it didn't just trickle down the side, but was building up so fast that it was roaring over the top all down the dam.
2012-03-03, 4:47 PM #8
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
What surprised me about that video is how it didn't just trickle down the side, but was building up so fast that it was roaring over the top all down the dam.

I'm not sure about roaring, it is time elapse. Although I can't confirm, I'm sure it was controlled, and the dam was doing what it was designed to do in this scenario. Or maybe not.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2012-03-03, 7:53 PM #9
It is doing what it was designed for, this is a reservoir dam. Also, the face is designed to churn the water that goes over the top so it doesn't wear away the ground at the bottom. The people building the dam said themselves the biggest issue was the construction equipment (and they apparently had some damage to the scaffolding used to climb up the dam, and lost some of there forms used for laying the concrete, so the only problem is construction will be set back a bit more).
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2012-03-03, 10:17 PM #10
purple rain
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2012-03-03, 11:58 PM #11
Chocolate rain?
2012-03-04, 12:15 AM #12
For months here in Texas we've had a drought, and now I find out it's because you Aussies are using up all the water for dam-related stunts? ****ing unreal. You should all be ashamed of yourselves, wasting water on these bull**** dam overflows while the whole of Bastrop County burns and good, decent Colorado Valley rice farmers lose their livelihood. You bastards really never did grow out of your convict stage.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2012-03-04, 12:24 AM #13
Originally posted by Jarl:
Well, I'm going to turn 24 on sunday, and I live in washington, so 23 years and 363 days of rain.

-In all honesty, it's even worse now than it has been the past few years, it seems.

I love living in the rainshadow of the Olympics.

o.0

↑ Up to the top!