Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Russian Presidential Elections
Russian Presidential Elections
2012-03-04, 7:05 AM #1
Are today. Just came back from voting in Budapest's Russian Cultural Center. I feel that finally there's a real chance for the country to be a leading European force as opposed to Putinland circus for another 6 / 12 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikhail_Prokhorov

Some of Prohorov's propositions:

Make it illegal for the government to have any control over mass media.

Make it illegal for government officials to own private businesses (Prohorov also said that he will sell his company stocks and give 17 out of his 18 billion fortune to charity).

Abandon mandatory army service and partially model the army on the U.S. system, including more than nominal salaries and free higher education (as well as other benefits) for contracted servicemen.

Reform employment laws to fit current realities of service based economy rather the USSR leftovers that we have at the moment.

Build more roads, more airports, start developing remote locations within Russia to create additional qualified work spaces for young university graduates and other professionals.

Limit president's term to 4 years, with the maximum of 2 terms. Create real opposition.

Reform the judicial system to make it less dependent on the federal government.

And a number of other things, some of them not so popular but that are logical. Oh yeah, he's also an atheist and he's not married, which makes him even less popular with the "vote for traditional values" crowd I suppose.

Externally, to re-evaluate Russia's historical allies. Cut ties with Iran and stop supporting (openly, at least) other non-democratic regimes.

Obv., the Russian mainstream media mostly shows just Putin. It's all done in a very much "there's no other choice" format. Prohorov is shown as some random guy who's a little bit nuts and is just running his mouth off for no reason, because, come on, Putinland forever, yo. Putin refused to participate in any public debates and his other "opponents" are all pretty much not worth mentioning as they're people who have been there for 20+ years and are just, well, part of the show.

Prohorov, in my opinion, however, is a real alternative. And alternative that, if people would be smart enough to vote for him, will make people actually want to STAY in the country rather than leave. Someone who can actually build a logical system.

It will be an undeniable step towards the New World Order (in fact, Prohorov actually kind of mentioned this a few times in his interviews), but I do not believe that having a unified world government one day would be such a bad thing.

So yeah. Just some thoughts. :)
幻術
2012-03-04, 7:15 AM #2
What makes you think any of those things will actually happen if he's elected?

Edit: What makes you think the voting isn't rigged?

Edit 2: What makes you think Putin simply wouldn't step down if he lost?
2012-03-04, 7:28 AM #3
>>What makes you think any of those things will actually happen if he's elected?

I simply see no reason for those things not to happen. This guy is the 32nd richest man in the world -- I don't think he's doing this for the money. He's a businessman first, and, if new models will not be adopted, our country will continue to fall behind and more professionals would prefer to leave rather than stay. One thing for sure, however, if Putin is elected, NOTHING will change (except that they'll switch places with Medvedev who will become the PM).

>>What makes you think the voting isn't rigged?

If it is, it will be found out, like it was with the parliament (duma) elections, which will lead to mass riots, independent commissions, and gods know what else. People are no longer satisfied with a tsar who "all ready knows how it's going to be."

>>What makes you think Putin simply wouldn't step down if he lost?

I don't think I ever said anything about Putin not stepping down, only that the mass media (controlled by him and his party, which have the absolute majority in the current government) portray everything as if the idea of Putin not being elected is simply absurd.
幻術
2012-03-04, 7:48 AM #4
I'm simply pointing out that it seems to me, Putin would be willing to cause riots, etc if it meant keeping power. Those in power tend to want to keep that power, even when faced with such obstacles.
2012-03-04, 8:48 AM #5
It's theoretically possible, I suppose, but somehow I doubt that. It would cause more harm than good.
幻術
2012-03-04, 9:11 AM #6
Isn't the CPRF polling better than anyone else against Putin?
2012-03-04, 9:43 AM #7
CPRF is the Communist Party of the Russian Federation. They apparently have 17% now. Again, their leader, Zyuganov, and all the other representatives except of Prohorov are placeholder figures who have absolutely no chance of winning unless people are even stupider then they seem to be. In fact, I doubt that they even have any plans of WTF to do if by any chance they'd win. Putin has more than 62%. So sad. If it wasn't rigged like ****, EVEN SADDER.
幻術
2012-03-04, 10:39 AM #8
That's not exactly true. The CPRF is the biggest challenge to Putin out there right now. (And of course there are other communist groups too)

Of course the CPRF isn't very popular amongst the Left in the world and is mostly a party of nostalgia for the USSR, but this interview gives some interesting insight into their role throughout this whole thing http://www.democracynow.org/2011/12/30/election_fraud_galvanizes_russian_opposition_communist
2012-03-04, 10:58 AM #9
Originally posted by TSM_Bguitar:
That's not exactly true. The CPRF is the biggest challenge to Putin out there right now. (And of course there are other communist groups too)

There is no challenge to Putin.

In 6 years, Putin will be 65 (and would have been 18 years the de facto head of the government). Zyuganov will be 73 or dead. Anyway, I most certainly hope Prohorov (who'll be 52 by the next elections, by the way) will continue to gain popularity and success. Even 3rd place is not bad for someone who got into politics only sometime in 2011. Also, I wish that people would be smarter.
幻術
2012-03-04, 5:24 PM #10
I really, really hope that Prohotov has a shot. it at least SOUNDS like he wants to something good for Russia.
But, at CM correctly pointed out:
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Those in power tend to want to keep that power, even when faced with such obstacles.

often they will put that far ahead of anything that would actually be good for the country.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2012-03-04, 5:27 PM #11
Looks like Putin won. Now let us sing!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOAtz8xWM0w
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2012-03-04, 5:42 PM #12
Originally posted by Koobie:
There is no challenge to Putin.

In 6 years, Putin will be 65 (and would have been 18 years the de facto head of the government). Zyuganov will be 73 or dead. Anyway, I most certainly hope Prohorov (who'll be 52 by the next elections, by the way) will continue to gain popularity and success. Even 3rd place is not bad for someone who got into politics only sometime in 2011. Also, I wish that people would be smarter.

Well personally I doubt that Prohorov will gain much success. Being a major businessman in Russia is a bad sign, and I personally would rather see the Reds back in power
2012-03-04, 6:06 PM #13
theres only one vote that matters, the illuminatis
2012-03-04, 6:23 PM #14
Originally posted by Couchman:
theres only one vote that matters, the illuminatis

huh?
2012-03-04, 6:53 PM #15
Originally posted by TSM_Bguitar:
huh?

You must listen to Rihanna, slave
2012-03-04, 7:00 PM #16
Riiiiiiight
2012-03-04, 7:12 PM #17
Sorry I just got done playing Deus Ex 1 again today, I'm still recovering from the experience
2012-03-05, 1:00 AM #18
I guess those Russians just... put in their votes.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2012-03-05, 7:21 AM #19
OHHH i get it ahaha here are your sunglasses http://mirrors.rit.edu/instantCSI/
2012-03-07, 5:46 AM #20
I thought you were Hungarian, Koobie.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2012-03-07, 7:16 AM #21
http://forums.massassi.net/vb3/member.php?10715-Koobie

BUT GOOD GUESS, GOOD GUESS. :)
幻術
2012-03-07, 7:32 AM #22
He was hungarian, but then he ate, but the food was rotten, so now he's russian.
nope.
2012-03-07, 7:40 AM #23
He may be hung'ry but I'm FINLAND AHAHASHS-c
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum

↑ Up to the top!